NEWS-OS 4.x

edited August 2020 in Product Comments

imageNEWS-OS 4.x

NEWS-OS was a variant of BSD (later System version V UNIX) developed by Sony for use on their series of work stations called the Sony NEWS (Network Engineering WorkStation). This machine was a desktop replacement to VAXes in japan, created in 1987.

Read the full story here

Comments

• According to pmackinlay on Discord: "Basically: this image is not for Motorola 68k, but in fact for MIPS R3000. The "R" after "4.2.1R" is an indicator it's the RISC version, and not "4.2.1C" for "CISC"."
  • Has anyone been able to get this running in a VM (qemu) yet?
  • edited August 2021
    @lenix It would also be worth trying in MAME's NEWS R3K driver

EDIT: It doesn't work. Looking at what very little there is online about the MAME driver, you can't currently boot directly off of the CD. Looks like the emulator will run NEWS, but only from a pre-installed hard disk image.
  • Has anyone tried this on a Raspberry Pi? I was thinking it might work on that since it is RISC based, even though I'm sure there's a reason why it wouldn't work. I don't have one, so I'm just asking instead of trying it myself.
  • @dartomic That's not how computers work.
  • @erase Dartomic might have been wondering if Raspberry Pis have any backward compatibility with software written for RISC instructions, sort of like x86.
  • @oapanel RISC is a design philosophy, not a specific instruction set. ARM and Motorola 680x0 are about as distant from each other as from Intel x86.