[Offer] Microsoft Word for DOS 1.0 + Mouse 1.0 !

Here are the image of the disks for Word DOS 1.0 in SCP format. System disk is copy protected, but I tested the re-creation of floppy disks from image using SCP and it works.

https://we.tl/t-HpTrSSu2yP

Comments

• edited August 2020
    Wow, that's great!
    I converted SCP to PSI image and works on PCE well, thanks!

But Program disk seems to be modified because of Mouse related files.
    So I recovered (restored) Program Disk just like original factory default.

Here it is.

I hope you to apply this and dump program disk again.

Also would you please re-dump System Disk 1 from original disk again by SCP?
    I wanna check copy protected sector again by another dumped disk.
  • what's the format for the .ima files ? I cannot open them with Winimage
  • edited August 2020
    @callmejack

This image is based on with boot sector for IBM PC DOS 1.10.
    Winimage can't open these image.

P.S. Would you please dump System Disk 1 again with 4 times and Program disk, Mouse disk again?

I figured out that your dump seem to be incomplete.
    (No hidden tracks are included from Track 40-42)

You should set the following option.

*Copy Mode : Index -> Splice
    *End Track : Track 39 -> Track 42 / Head 1

Splice / Track 42 / Head 1

System Disk : 2~4 times
    Program Disk : 1~2 times
    Mouse Disk : 1~2 times

I attached fixed (restored) Program Disk

https://mega.nz/file/O4swGCRT#q2QiRu6GVT-cLyiOTAJ3tW_UWzfU1JeTIRTKkULgFvY

http://www.mediafire.com/file/33k1hxcedvw5wo0/file

But you should dump your disks from Track 00/0 ~ Track 41/1 again.
  • @ibmpc5150

Tracks 40 and 41 are fully irrelevant for the program. If you remove there "surplus" tracks from Kryoflyx dumps of Word 1.15 and 2.0, you'll get fully working copies nevertheless. All the copy protection data is on track 39.
  • edited August 2020
    @tarlabnor

Well, you seem not to know detailly about early 5.25" disks for IBM PC.
    Many of early 5.25" disks have sector about disk information on Track 40 normally.

(This is from System Disk 1 of Microsoft Word 2.0)

I have over 2000+ kinds of 5.25" IBM PC game / program disks of retail.
    So I know many of disks have them.

MS Word 1.15 and 2.0 have dumped with hidden track 40.

So MS Word 1.0 should be re-dumped from Track 00~Track 41
  • Track 40 contains just a duplicator data which is irrelevant for program work.

Once again: remove tracks 40 and 41 from Word 1.15 and 2.0 KF dumps and you'll still get fully working copies.
  • edited August 2020
    @tarlabnor

Well, I think you seem not to consider to keep the perfect preservation.
    No problem to work with Track 40-41.

I dumped a lot of copy protected disks and works well with Track 40 /41.
    I have a question.

Do you really test any programs with track 40 and 41?
    I wonder how you can explain it.

Do you know Gunship and Visi on?

Gunship (429.01 / 429.02 / 429.04) doesn't be installed any files to HDD without track 40.

Also Visi on Application manager can't be run (or installed) without Track 40.
    But you seem to want to remove Track 40-41.

Cyborg (PCbooer game) also checks Track 40 to run.

Of couese Microsoft Word 1.0 doesn't need Track 40, but all tracks (including 40-41)
    should be dumped to keep the perfect preservation.

Most of users for SCP or KF dumped track 0-41 (42) or 0-83.

I know only few people dump track 0-39 or 0-79 but It cannot be guaranteed.
  • Microsoft Word 1.0 doesn't need Track 40

Right, it doesn't.

but all tracks (including 40-41) should be dumped to keep the perfect preservation

For a perfect preservation an original untouched copy would be required. Unfortunately it's not our case. The best we can get from it is a working copy of the program. At least the full HDD installation can be done using these images.

Do you know Gunship and Visi on?

Yes, some copy protections used it's data on the additional track, but here we talk about MS Word for DOS that didn't use it.
  • edited August 2020
    @tarlabnor

Well, I think you still seem not understand the preservation.
    Of course untouched image is very important for perfect preservation , but there is no meaning if Track 40-41 (80-83) is omitted from dump.
    Therefor it is incomplete preservation if Track 40-41 (80-83) is omitted form dump.

Do you really want to keep incomplete preservation without Track 40-41 (80-83)?

A few of users share disk images by SCP or KF.
    But most of users dumps all tracks to keep preservation though track 40-41 is unformated or cleared.

Remember that I'm requesting to callmejack, not tarlabnor.
  • Do you really want to keep incomplete preservation without Track 40-41 (80-83)?

If the track contains any valuable data (the one used by copy protection or simply a duplicator info), it should be dumped and preserved. But trying to dump non-existing tracks (i.e. tracks 82-83 on almost any 3.5" floppy) is pointless in my opinion.
  • @tarlabnor

I'm requesting to callmejack to dump full disk dump with full track range.
    So Please don't uselessly tamper with my request.
  • Dumping the mastering data on track 40/41 is about authenticity. It helps show the disk came from a genuine source, not some duplicate. I'm not going to make a big deal about that, I'm not too picky, but ideally a complete dump would include those. (also, label scans would be good to have)
  • @callmejack Nice Found I Looking for Microsoft Word 1.00 For DOS and Microsoft Mouse 1.00.
  • @ibmpc5150 here is the link to the new dump. Just for my personal knowledge, what does the "splice" parameter do and why is it good for preservation ?

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/12214a933b01e2ba713e795cd6a2d39b20200818065109/860546eb84edca639a08ef5dc70bc21220200818065210/ba14a2
  • @callmejack

Thanks a lot.

Also here is final fix of Program Disk.

https://mega.nz/file/ukVQVaSA#KB4Vrx-KWC3RZ-w-6epnjgqVIMWtH5urvavVpZhgztw

I hope SomeGuy to add fixed SCP image of Program Disk if possible.

Splice mode is an intelligent method to determine where the track start/stop is located.

I recommend to refer the manual if you want to know.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/downloads/scp/scp_manual.pdf
  • Would you systematically recommend the splice method for dumping disks or only for copy protected ones ?
  • You can refer this URL.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=488

Track : 0/0~41/1(or 42/1) for 2D, 0/0~83/1 for 2HD.
  • How did you fix (restore) the program disk? I fully understand what you have done but I don't think it is good to replace the SCP dump as the fixed copy was not dumped from the physical media.

I have also attempted to restore the disk and got the same result as you (raw sector dump matches your fix) but I can't hex edit the SCP file so I am not sure if you just converted it to sector dump, hex edited and converted back or you have been hex editing the SCP file (would be a lot of hex editing).

I suggest preserving the original dumps unless we can restore the disk by hex-editing the original SCP dump.
  • edited August 2020
    @ComputerHunter

I didn't mention about replacing the SCP dump as the fixed copy.
    I hope SomeGuy to add fixed image with original modified SCP image together.
    So please don't tell me with your imagination.

At least I fixed modified sector on real DOS PC or PCE emulator by using PC-Tools,
    Anadisk, and any files filled with F6h bytes.
    (Example : 512.F6 1024.F6 2048.F6 4096.F6 8192.F6 16384.F6 32768.F6 65536.F6
    131072.F6)
    I fixed it modified image and it is not difficult to do so.

(I didn't use it by SCP or Kryoflux to fix (restore) it.)

• Wait... I am confused.

So you applied the SCP image to an actual floppy disk, modified the FAT table, root directory and overwrote the last few clusters with F6h on an actual DOS PC (or PCE)? How did you get it back to SCP? Did you dump it again or something?

Anyway, I can verify that your fix is indeed correct because I got the same result in a hex editor but I can't modify the SCP dump directly so I must convert the raw image back to SCP and it is completely different to your SCP file.
  • edited August 2020
    @ComputerHunter

I also can't edit SCP image directly.
    I fixed modified SCP image as follows.

*Convert SCP image to .PSI or . IMA by PFI/PRI/PSI of PCE emulator.

In this case, you can choice as 3 ways.

1) On PCE (.PSI .IMA) or 86box / PCem (.TD0 .IMA)

2) On real MS-DOS PC with 5.25" drive.

3) Work on Winimage and WinHex. (But in this case Winimage can't open image.)

*Write dumped SCP image to real 5.25" 2D diskette on 5.25" 2D drive.

In this case, you can choice just 1 way.

1) On real MS-DOS PC with 5.25" drive

Any user can try to do it on HxC emulator, but I don't have it so I can't use this method.

@callmejack

Thanks very much. I'm appreciate it.

@SomeGuy

I hope you to add my fixed image as follows.

Word dos 1.0 - System.scp
    Word dos 1.0 - Program (Modified from Original).scp
    Word dos 1.0 - Program (Fixed from Copy).scp
    Word dos 1.0 - Mouse.scp

*Fixed image is nearly close (or nearly same) to untouched image without verification.

• @ibmpc5150 i don’t understand how the link you provided answers my question, it speaks about protected software. What about standard floppies that are not protected, is there any advantage into using splice method and multiple reads?
  • edited August 2020
    @callmejack

This is copy mode from SCP's manual.

The Copy Mode is the method that will be used to copy or image a disk.
    INDEX - uses the index pulse to capture a single revolution. Most all
    commercially produced disks can be copied/imaged using this copy mode.

SPLICE - uses an intelligent method to determine where the track start/stop
    is located. When imaging a disk, you can choose the number of revolutions
    to capture. This handy for 3rd party programs that analyze the disk format
    and create image files from the raw flux image. This copy mode is
    substantially slower, but provides a solution for tracks that were not written
    using the index mark when created.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always check disks that is copy protected or not on my DOS PC by using Teledisk or Anadisk.
    (I dumped over 700 kinds of IBM PC 5.25" copy protected game / program during 10 years.

Also I have total 2000 kinds of IBM PC 5.25" retail or genuine non copy protected ones)

I used to use 2ea of Transcopy option board before I've got 2ea of SCP.

Now I'm using SCP with Splice mode that is for useful to dump copy protected disk.
    Of course index mode is enough, but I always keep (dump) copy protected disk detailly.
    I do the dumping several times thoroughly and carefully.

I'm also fixing or restoring many of modified disk image detailly.

• @ibmpc5150 thanks for sharing your experience, I’m just starting to invest time into preserving my collection of software and I’m eager to learn from others.
  • @callmejack

Thanks for sharing rare early IBM PC's floppy software.
  • Please feel free to ask any questions you want. Archiving protected floppies is not simple enough that there for to be a one-size-fits all guide. And it can indeed be quite time consuming.
  • That's what I appreciate about this site. It's not just a repository where people dump a whole bunch of sotware but there are also people that take time to analyze, document, preserve and make them available for emulators. I also truly enjoy reading the spotlight section, it's very instructive. That's the reason why I chose this site to upload some of the software that I've accumulated over the last 30 years.
  • Was anyone able to run it in PCE (or on a real PC) ?

The program succesfully installs to the hard disk. Unfortunately it hangs after showing it's animated "splash screen".
  • @callmejack

Yes, I also appreciate about your rare offer.
  • I try get working PCem no try. PCem do not accept SCP Format.