AT&T System V Unix 2.x

edited May 2020 in Product Comments

AT&T System V Unix 2.x

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• How you can install it? :(

• Check VirtualBox Instead
    Maybe you can test it there
  • It will install and run in PCem. Unfortunately there is no networking support.
  • How about VMware?.. The only issue is the support for only TWO disks. Virtual box is WORSE because it supports 1 instead. I will try it now and let reader know if it works.
  • VirtualBox already supports 2 diskette drives.
  • edited September 2020
    @Koshgnintan
    They should really get 3 or more diskette drivers as some computer systems but I do not know why they have sticked with 2 diskette drivers as max. Is there a reason for this?

EDIT: https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/floppies.html
  • Uhh this DOES install on VirtualBox btw.
  • edited September 2020
    @Lollipop

Well, it was really common to have 1 or 2 floppy drives at the time. I don't know why would you like to have another floppy drive. I really don't know in what circumstanse you would need 3 floppy drives.

I think it only allows 2 floppies because the majority of software would use 1 floppy disk in case you want to install software into a hard disk, and if you would like to install it on floppy disks, then you would need 2.

I highly recommend 86box if you want 4 floppy drives, it's also a PC EMULATOR, you can emulate more mouses without CuteMouse, like Mouse Systems mouse, it supports also complex image formats.
  • edited September 2020
    @Koshgnintan

3-4 floppy drives would be good for storage. Some computers (Like Seiko Epson or something) did not even have a hard disk built in. The 1st diskette would be a DOS disk. The other diskettes would be for storage and stuff.

Forgot to also tell that it will be useful to install software. For example, this program has 4 floppy diskettes. You could fit all of them to their drive and then point the setup program to go to those drives.

Except for the part more common floppy diskettes were 160k-360k which you just have to cramp all your data and didn't make much sense so why don't you buy a 8-16MB hard disk?

I think VirtualBox is more compatible with DOS. I tried to run PC-DOS 0.90-1.10 on VMware (My favorite hypervisor) but they either try to locate a "invalid" part of memory or just show the good old blinking cursor. On the other hand, VirtualBox does it just fine.

I don't really use 86Box. PCem is also fine, but I think I use PCem better. Basically 86Box is a fork of PCem, but with more advanced features. It is simple to use (Atleast in my opinion).
  • edited September 2020
    @Lollipop

86box is also simple, they also made an 86Box Manager, just in case you want to make Virtual Machines, instead of using only hard drives. PCem, only supports Serial Mice, 86box can also support Bus Mouse, making it possible to use Microsoft Mouse 2.0

You can even run VisiOn on 86box, and it supports image formats that PCem doesn't, 86box adds more support to other OSes like Mac OS X Rhapsody.

86box will be simple and easy to use if you have 86Box Manager on it, and as I said before, it supports about 4 floppy disk drives.

I have no idea why hypervisors only allow 1 or 2 floppy drives, it would be great if they supported more and had better software compatibility like PC Emulators.

Anyways, the advantage of PC Emulators (PCem or 86Box), is that you can play PC games smootly, however hypervisors aren't made for that, like software compatibility, some programs break when you use hypervisors or they don't run in the intended way.

There are so many advantages on PC Emulators, that's why you should choose them if you want to experience vintage software in the way it was back then.
  • @Windux 10 Mint

Choose 86box then. It supports about 4 floppy drives, and it has better software compatibily like PCem. PCem, won't allow more than just 2 floppy drives and it lacks some features. 86box is basically PCem but better.
  • edited September 2020

Going to install 86Box later.. I think 86Box's max Windows OS it can run is Windows XP. I think PCem's max Windows OS in Windows 2000. Not sure.

UPDATE: Installed 86box and manager.
  • edited September 2020
    @Koshgnintan

What would also be cool on hypervisors is a BUILT-IN feature to SLOW IT DOWN. This way, it will have even better software compatibility since early IBM PC games (and software) don't like something over 4.77mhz. VMware should improve their CGA and EGA, VGA compatibility so 640x200, 2 colors, CGA mode does not strain your eyes. VirtualBox doesn't strain your eyes when you pick the 640x200 2 colors CGA mode.
  • Install using qemu:
    $ qemu-img create -f raw sysv.img 200M
    $ qemu-system-i386 -hda sysv.img -fda floppy/Base\ 01\ \(2.1a\).img -boot a
    If you are using linux you can add "-accel kvm" flag to speed up qemu: $ qemu-system-i386 -hda sysv.img -fda floppy/Base\ 01\ \(2.1a\).img -boot a -accel kvm
    to change floppy during installation, press Ctrl + Alt + 2, and enter "change floppy0 /path/to/your/floppy/image", the press Ctrl + Alt + 1 back to VM's vga
    after installation you can boot SystemV using
    $ qemu-system-i386 -hda sysv.img
    or "$ qemu-system-i386 -hda sysv.img -accel kvm" if you are using linux.
  • edited October 2020

after installation
  • Can X11 run on SVR4?
    And also, can anyone provide the source code for the OS? (if it is available of course)
  • What about X11? Can it run?
  • Would this run on QEMU?
  • Oh, didn't read to the bottom.
  • Qemu worked fine :smile: only couldnt figure out how to insert a floppy and use pkgadd, booting the system with a floppy inserted worked fine.
    found a C compiler set that works fine (after converting the IMD image to IMG, it converted just fine). There is lots more cool stuff here but this one I tested: http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/ATT/SYSV_386/SYSV_Rel_4.0_Ver_1.0_386_486_partial.zip (converting still required. using http://dunfield.classiccmp.org/img/index.htm in dosbox did the trick for me.

A standard hello world c source compiled fine, make is also there so I asume (i saw lots of headers in the include folder) most older software is able to be compiled.
  • Where can i find software to run on this?
  • @User64 There aren't any modern software that run on SysV. The only software that it can run is from the floppy disks provided.
  • @User64 However, there are some floppies listed in CodeAsm2's comment, which includes a C compiler and OPEN LOOK/OpenWindows.
  • @Missileboi That Open Look is incomplete unfortunately, and is missing the first two disks. Would be nice for a complete set to surface.
  • edited August 2021
    I found a video on Youtube that shows a demo of SVR4 on Virtualbox, with OPEN LOOK, sysadm, virtual terminal support and it's version 3.0 (SysV rel4.0 ver. 3.0)
    Link:
  • edited August 2021
    I found SVR3.2 for Intel! (You can find it on: http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/ATT/SYSV_386/SYSV_386_3.2.3_1.44mb_2user.zip), the images do need converting, but it works on VirtualBox!
  • Where can I find Open Look for download?
  • Yeah, can anyone provide OPEN LOOK?
  • I'm sorry, but I can't provide it.