Mac OS X Server 1.0

edited February 2019 in Product Comments

imageMac OS X Server 1.0

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Server 1.0, Server 1.1 and Server 1.2.Pele1Q10 will not run in QEMU (PPC).

Server 1.2v3 will run in QEMU (PPC), very slowly with a glitchy mouse.

• @jonirob said:
    Server 1.0, Server 1.1 and Server 1.2.Pele1Q10 will not run in QEMU (PPC).

I know this,but I cannot go past the 2nd reboot.(After installing the base system)

• @Missileboi said:

@jonirob said:

I know this,but I cannot go past the 2nd reboot.(After installing the base system)

These steps work for me in Windows 10:

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./OSXServer1.2v3.img -cdrom ./OSXServer1.2v3.iso -boot d -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -M mac99

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./OSXServer1.2v3.img -cdrom ./OSXServer1.2v3.iso -boot d -prom-env "auto-boot?=false" -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-args=-v"

In open bios type:

boot cd:9,\:tbxi

(Two back slashes, not one)

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./OSXServer1.2v3.img -cdrom ./OSXServer1.2v3.iso -boot c -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-args=-v"

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -net none -hda OSXServer1.2v3.img -sdl

• @jonirob said:

@Missileboi said:

@jonirob said:

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./OSXServer1.2v3.img -cdrom ./OSXServer1.2v3.iso -boot d -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -M mac99

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./OSXServer1.2v3.img -cdrom ./OSXServer1.2v3.iso -boot d -prom-env "auto-boot?=false" -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-args=-v"

In open bios type:

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./OSXServer1.2v3.img -cdrom ./OSXServer1.2v3.iso -boot c -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-args=-v"

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -net none -hda OSXServer1.2v3.img -sdl

Thank you! It worked for me!

• @Missileboi said:

@jonirob said:

@Missileboi said:

@jonirob said:

In open bios type:

Thank you! It worked for me!

You're welcome.

• Mac OS 8.6 running in Bluebox, in Server 1.2v3, in Qemu.

• If anyone can't find the CD,search in Google "Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 iso" and go to the first page you see after the search.(You need to create an account to download the .toast file)

• @jonirob said:

Reasons:
    Server 1.0,1.1 and 1.2.Pele1Q10 have a Mac OS 8.6 interface that QEMU doesn't support.
    Server 1.2v3 does run on QEMU because it uses a Mac OS 9 interface that QEMU does support.

• @Missileboi said:

@jonirob said:

Reasons:
    Server 1.0,1.1 and 1.2.Pele1Q10 have a Mac OS 8.6 interface that QEMU doesn't support.
    Server 1.2v3 does run on QEMU because it uses a Mac OS 9 interface that QEMU does support.

User interface is the last thing an emulator would be concerned with.

• @AlphaBeta said:

@Missileboi said:

@jonirob said:

Reasons:

User interface is the last thing an emulator would be concerned with.

I agree. 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.Pele1Q10 will not run because QEMU doesn't emulate the required hardware. I tested it by myself.

• Is it possible to install Mac OS X Server 1.0,1.1 and 1.2.Pele1Q10 with a Power Mac G3 bios?

• Mac OS X Server 1.0 now installs in QEMU.

• Great! But I've noticed that the first icon in your image, has no name. Is this a glitch from QEMU or the System itself?
  • @Koshgnintan

It's just because it's untitled.
  • For some reason it takes a long time to reboot.
  • @Missileboi are you using QEMU by any chance? Soft reboot there doesn't work for Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X.
  • Can't install server 1.0,1.1
  • @xiaolei312 Are you using QEMU? If you are, you can't, since when you try to boot from the CD, it would normally boot to OS 8. QEMU does not support OS 8.6 (for now).
  • @ubuntuxp Yes, I am using QEMU, and thanks for the explanation.
  • How do I use this on QEMU?
  • @helloisthispizzahut

You'll need Custom BootX from:

https://github.com/steventroughtonsmith/BootX

To install Mac OS X Server 1.0, first create a 2gb vmdk drive with:

qemu-img create -f vmdk osxsrv10.vmdk 2G

You'll need to initialise the disk using Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 iso obtainable from Macintosh Garden, with this command:

qemu-system-ppc -sdl -M mac99,via=pmu-adb -cpu g3 -m 256 -hda osxsrv10.vmdk -cdrom osxsrv12v3_cd.iso -boot d

When you see fatal error, press quit, and shutdown QEMU, start installation with:

qemu-system-ppc -sdl -g 640x480x8 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -drive file=osxsrv10.vmdk,index=0,media=disk -drive file=MacOSXServer10.iso,index=1,media=cdrom -drive file=BootX_custom.dmg,index=2,media=disk,format=raw -prom-env "boot-device=ide2:2,\BootX" -prom-env "boot-file=ide1:11,\mach_kernel" -prom-env "boot-args=-v"

Then run with:

qemu-system-ppc -sdl -g 800x600x32 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -drive file=osxsrv10.vmdk,index=0,media=disk -drive file=MacOSXServer10.iso,index=1,media=cdrom -drive file=BootX_custom.dmg,index=2,media=disk,format=raw -prom-env "boot-device=ide2:2,\BootX" -prom-env "boot-file=ide0:11,\mach_kernel" -prom-env "boot-args=-v"

It's very slow, you'll have to be patient.
  • @jonirob Is it possible to boot from server 1.0 cd?
  • I tried to boot from cd but it wont work. I tried qemu-system-ppc -hda image.img -cdrom MacOSXServer10.iso, -m 64m -boot order=d

What am I doing wrong?
  • edited March 2022
    @helloisthispizzahut No, it's not possible to boot the Mac OS X Server 1.0 image. You need Server 1.2v3.
  • Is it possible to install this on SheepShaver?
  • @helloisthispizzahut
    No, it will only install in qemu-system-ppc.
  • edited April 2022
    For some reason if I run qemu-system-ppc -sdl -M mac99,via=pmu-adb -cpu g3 -m 256 -hda osxsrv10.vmdk -cdrom osxsrv12v3_cd.iso -boot d, it will not work in QEMU for whatever reason. I have BootX but it still doesn't work as it said that NVRAM is not usable and has an error code of 0x1400
  • edited June 2022
    Did you get it yet?
  • I finally got it running in QEMU after trial and error.