Microsoft BOB 1.00

edited December 2018 in Product Comments

imageMicrosoft BOB 1.00

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Runs On Windows 3.1

• @Corodan Denis said:
    Runs On Windows 3.1

It was designed as a shell replacement, specifically for Windows 3.x

• edited December 2018

It also runs on any 32-bit NT based Windows. It runs great on the 32-bit Windows 10.

Thanks to how it uses vectored graphics, it scales up nicely on higher resolution displays.

• edited December 2018

I'm not sure about the earlier NTs. I couldn't get it to run on Windows 2000 but I did with XP. It does work on OS/2 Warp 4 (and likely 3 because they use the same WIN-OS/2 subsystem), once a dll is moved from the HOME folder to the main program folder. I forgot the name but it will be cited by the error message produced when clicking on the bob executable for the first time.

I ran it on Windows 95C on a PIII-500 and the sysinfo-like thing reported it as a 486.

• I'ma about to try and run this on Windows 10

• Imagine what would happen if BOB wasn't that bad. We could have different GUIs and social interfaces compared to the GUIs that we have now.
  • Oh no...
    What have you done?
  • does not run on windows vista.
    ''cannot find Utopia.DLL''
    despite that its in the folder.
    I also tried applying a compatibility layer for windows Xp and 95
  • The BOB folder that contains utopia.dll must be in your PATH environmental variable.

Setup is supposed to add that automatically, but sometimes later OSes don't set that right. (Did you run setup with administrator permissions?)

Microsoft BOB will indeed run on Intel 32-bit NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/10. (Not 64-bit Windows).
  • I have a project to update the email app to use modern SMTP/POP3/IMAP protocols. Follow our progress at https://msbob.org - would love to see you there...