OS/2 Warp 4 OS/2 Warp 4.52

edited June 2018 in Product Comments

OS/2 Warp 4 OS/2 Warp 4.52

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• OS/2 Warp 4.52 comes with a separate boot CD so no dos needs to be preinstalled but the CDs will needed to be swapped BOOT-> Client.

Unfortunately I get kernel segfault on the physical machine where I try to install this even at the boot CD stage. It is an old 32bit only box with 2.6Ghz cpu but ?maybe? already too new for OS2 :(

In vmware it installs fine.

It would be nice if someone would share if Novell 4.11 can be installed on both Warp 4 and 4.52 or not.

• @NetBSD said:
    OS/2 Warp 4.52 comes with a separate boot CD so no dos needs to be preinstalled but the CDs will needed to be swapped BOOT-> Client.

Unfortunately I get kernel segfault on the physical machine where I try to install this even at the boot CD stage. It is an old 32bit only box with 2.6Ghz cpu but ?maybe? already too new for OS2 :(

In vmware it installs fine.

It would be nice if someone would share if Novell 4.11 can be installed on both Warp 4 and 4.52 or not.

I think that's your problem. I can run MS-DOS on a 64 bit with 2 2.8gHz processors... I have the drive formatted for FAT 16.

• Um, that's a bit of an old topic, and they were talking about OS/2, not DOS. OS/2 is a lot pickier about hardware.

• I noticed that IBM OS2 Warp 4.52 (4.52.14.089_W4) version needed a re-dump? I got to a friend of mine who provided me with some isos and bootdisks. I tested them out in Parallels and it didn't seem to have any problems. How should I share it with winworld? I don't have space in my Google drive either to make a shareable link.

• Try out Mediafire

• edited May 2020

Works pretty good on T41. Boot time does take a bit of time however. Anyone else have slightly long boot time at the OS/2 logo? Maybe try out ver. 4.0. Using 4.52 (4.52.14.086_W4)

• @nobilis said:
    Works pretty good on T41. Boot time does take a bit of time however. Anyone else have slightly long boot time at the OS/2 logo? Maybe try out ver. 4.0. Using 4.52 (4.52.14.086_W4)

No, but I experience the long boot at OS/2 Warp 4.0

• can some add Arca OS 5 to this page, as it’s based on OS/2 Warp 4 plz?
  • It's still sold, and it is nowhere near abandoned.
  • @DoodlerNitro501
    ArcaOS is active, not abandonware, so it won't be added.
  • What about eComStation?
  • 4.52 (14.086) installed perfectly on a T41. This is the version to go for unless you absolutely need the original 4.0 for some reason. These images are bootable and already have large disc support off the bat. The 4.0 boot floppies require modification to recognise a hard disk over 2GB for installation.
  • I've repackaged the client 4.5x versions and replaced the damaged 14.089_W4 with one that looks like it should work.
  • I got back into OS/2 and ECS (2.1) quite recently. 10 years after my last attempt on that machine, I installed both onto my IBM PC 300GL. Both went quite well, if not slow, but in ECS I couldn't find the multimedia PM that my audio driver told me to install through, so I installed through the main driver installer. Probably why it couldn't boot after that.

So I tried Warp 4.52 again. Everything is where the driver package told me it was going to be, so it went well. The included Scitech Display Doctor 7.0 works well with my GeForce FX5700 LE, and I have 24-bit colour with a nice refresh rate with my IBM G54 monitor. It does take considerably longer than even Windows 2000 to boot.
  • How can I install this on VirtualBox?
  • edited April 2022
    Hello, have been trying to install the above "IBM OS2 Warp 4.52 Server For e-Business (4.52.14.089_W4)" on VMWare Workstation 15 on Windows 10. No matter what I try, I keep getting a crash/fault when it is trying to install, stopping at c:\os2\system\namemove.exe I am wondering if others got the ISO working, and if so, what settings did you use? I have been trying SCSI, IDE, varying amounts of RAM, and it doesn't work. Error that comes up is "oso0001.msg cannot be found". I see others have had this issue on the Internet, but no solution. Does this work on 86box, Winbox or other VM's?
  • edited July 2022
    I was able install the OS [4.52 (14.089_W4 Brazilian Portuguese)] onto the partition in a VMware Workstation Player VM, but after the last reboot, it halts at a black screen with this error message:
    SYS1201: The device driver C:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS specified in the DEVICE
    statement
    on line 86 of the CONFIG.SYS file was not installed.  Line 86
    is ignored.
    SYS1201: The device driver C:\OS2\MDOS\VCOM.SYS specified in the DEVICE
    statement
    on line 124 of the CONFIG.SYS file was not installed.  Line 124
    is ignored.
    From what I've read here, both drivers are serial devices ones, despite the fact that I chose not install any at the wizard. And I couldn't find a way to edit CONFIG.SYS file in order to remove/comment out the lines in order to make OS/2 not load those drivers.
  • @nerdburt Also had that issue with that image, guess it's corrupted. I would suggest you to try regular non-server image 4.52 (14.089_W4), which is working from my testing.
  • @nerdburt I also tested the regular edition (14.089_W4) in German, which in principle runs in VirtualBox.

And here I come to my problematic cases:

1) I know the official intended procedure for changing the resolution of the virtual screen. However, if I do as described, I will end up with a perfectly messed up system. Simply integrating the appropriate function in VirtualBox would have been too straightforward, I guess ...

2) I installed Micrografx Designer and Picture Publisher (both version 4.0a) on OS/2. Designer, as far as I can tell, runs as expected. But PP opens all pictures only in black and white. Any suggestions to resolve that?

I did this to fill a gap in my knowledge. In the 90s, I had a vocational training that was supposed to be computer-related. This was in East Germany, not too long after the fall of the Wall. Their machines only ran the usual MS-standard ... (and I think that old GDR equipment was also used to save money). Even then, back in those days, as I read about OS/2 in the magazine "In'side Multimedia" (3/96), I preferred to have this as system on my PC. But there was no way for me to get it.
  • BTW, if anyone has genuine original media of any of these OS/2 versions, confirmation that these dumps are good or not would be greatly appreciated. Especially the non-English versions.
  • If you install OS/2 Warp 4.52 in VirtualBox follow the instruction here https://gekk.info/articles/os2.html for version 4 except you should also set your Virtual Machine to use at least 2 Cores so you can install it's Multicore Support. Also for Warp 4 it must use High Performance File System or else not everything can be installed like if you want the IBM Web Browser that requires Java the Java runtime and Development kit can only be installed on a HPFS drive. As much as I'd prefer to have a FAT File System on OS/2 it just isn't practical for your Warp 4 setup.

Where can we get the "4.52 build 14.106 W4" from 2007? Do you have to buy eComstation or something? To get it..
  • edited April 2023
    I can confirm:

IBM OS2 Warp 4.52 (14.089_W4) (CP 2 Refresh) (2002-04) (ISO) is working on real hardware.

Max 512MB of RAM, and for the best compatibility, use a Compact Flash to IDE converter with a max size of 8GB.

Remember that the drive won't boot unless you put the partition within the first 1024 cycles of the drive, so your first partition should be no more than 512MB.

Of course, the best solution is to get a 512MB Compact Flash drive, and use that for OS2 only, then, use another, much larger drive, for your storage.
    The storage drive doesn't need to be a CF card, but it does need partitions that are small, and formatted correctly.
    I got away with a 40GB drive as a single partition, formatted to HPFS.
    I think, you can go as high as 80GB, with a single HPFS formatted partition.
    Any larger drive, would need multiple partitions.

If you get problems with namemove.exe, use a different ISO, that one is corrupted.

If you get hang-ups during boot, make sure your bios settings are compatible with OS2-era technology, like, using "bit-shift" instead of "LBA Mode" on your drives.

Other BIOS settings might include:

Turning-off devices that are not going to be used with your setup.

Adjusting your COM ports to use a different port number.

Adjusting your LPT Printer port to use Standard mode instead of ECP or EPP.

Turning-off any Over-Clocking settings.

Hardware can also be an issue. You can try:

Using a PS/2 mouse & keyboard.

Unplugging all unnecessary add-on boards until you get setup.

Pressing "ALT+F1" at the first boot screen as soon as you see the grey rectangle in the upper left-hand corner of the screen that says: "OS2", and then selecting "Enable Hardware Detection" by pressing the corresponding F-key. ie. "F5" or "F6". "Disable Hardware Detection" may be helpful to some as well.

Use your onboard devices wherever possible. This would include your video card, ethernet card, and sound card.

I had trouble, with my Primary IDE Drive cable, having a Primary "Slave" Drive, with the Primary "Master" Drive, so, I moved my Storage Drive (set to Slave), to the Secondary IDE Drive cable, with the CD Drive (set to Master).

As mentioned above, 512MB of RAM is the MAX you can use, any more, and you will get an error during boot.

As for good-enough graphics, the "Generic VESA or Non-Accelerated VGA Graphics Card" driver works well. If you need more than 1024x768 with 32-bit color depth, you should use a driver specifically made for your card, or get a card that is in the drivers list, during the initial install/setup.

OS2 will not recognize, usb cdroms, or usb storage drives, without extra setup.

OS2 will not recognize, usb floppy drives, unless you started the install from that drive, and then, not recognize it at all, inside OS2, despite you installing from that drive 5 minutes earlier, in the install. This means you can't install any drivers from usb floppy, during or after the install/setup process. So put them on that storage drive, or a CDROM, if you want to access them.

Compact Flash cards, often come pre-formatted, so you will need to delete that partition, before you make a new partition using OS2's version of FDISK. I used "diskpart" from the "administrator" Command Prompt in windows to "list disk", then, "select disk X" where X is the disk number you got from the "list disk" command, then when it says that the disk is selected, type "clean" and wait for it to succeed in cleaning the disk, THEN, put the CF card into the OS2 machine, with no partitions defined, until OS2's FDISK makes them.

As a side-note: You need to make that new partition "installable" after you create it, even though it says "bootable" right away.

Here is a guide for using CF cards as Hard Drives: https://dosdays.co.uk/topics/cf_cards.php