[REQUEST] MSDN WinNT4 ISO

I'm looking for the file "en_winnt_4.0_wks.iso". This file is not in the library.

Comments

• That's an interesting request. A file name doesn't have much meaning. Anybody can name an iso anything they wish.
    However, I suspect it means something special to you. Google says "en_winnt_4.0_wks.iso" is most often used with a build of workstation released under one of the MSDN campaigns. And the info for THAT is as follows:

Name: Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (MSDN)(English)
    Languages: English
    File Name en_winnt_4.0_wks.iso
    Size 605,513,728 bytes (577.4 MB)
    CRC-32: ffffffff
    MD4: 3cd787f16afdc0c4c04013e1586bfa1c
    MD5: ad2b8b49196fa289cbe68ff6f552221e
    SHA-1: a3a8528c34fa8120ca6945320051052744a1c121

Here's the torrent Info Hash: C15947D4A0002DE87D764CF0EA75D05A2EEE272D

Just pop that into google, and you'll get a magnet link I'm sure. But don't waste your time - there is no one seeding it.

Anyhow, you have a little more to go on. Good Luck !
  • Yes. This is what I'm finding. Could you send to me?
  • I just got done saying I don't have it. I gave you all the info I had. Good Lord.
  • I doubt I will get a meaningful answer, but aside from being an MSDN distribution (barf), how is it any different from what we have on Winworld?
  • edited January 2021
    Heck if I know. It supposedly is sp1. A couple of the other NT's I have have a serial embedded. Almost all my MSDN and Microsoft SELECT physical CD-Roms have the serial embedded in either setup.ini, or the MSI (if used). I do know it was a real popular torrent ISO around 2010, judging from the artifact info I found.
  • Update: found it. An overdumped copy resides on archive.org. Once that was corrected, the resulting sha1 was a match.

• The only difference between the MSDN CD and the ISO Winworld has is in Setupp.ini. One exists in each of the Alpha. i386, MIPS, PPC directories.

contents of SETUPP.INI:

X06-10569 MSDN 1996-10-13
    [Pid]
    Pid = "50036"

NT 4.0 Workstation (4.00.1381.1.sp1) winworld 1996-10-13
    [Pid]
    Pid = "50036270"

And, that's a wrap.
  • Where's the link?
  • I've been doing a little more looking in to what these differences in the Setupp.ini mean. From a bit of testing:

Pid = "01234OEM"
    Install asks for an OEM product id.
    Probably typical OEM medial

Pid = "50036"
    Install asks for a short retail CD key.
    Probably typical retail media?

Pid = "50036270"
    Install does not ask for a CD key during setup. "270" appears as part of a product id in the system properties.
    Perhaps "select" media?
    But an ISO that claimed to be MSDN had the retail one, so not MSDN?

Between the different types, this is the only difference.

Also, there exist both "SP0" (no service pack) and "SP1" (Service Pack 1) media, but they are hard to identify until they are installed. Neither show the service pack level while the CD-ROM is bootstrapping. SP1 will display "Service Pack 1" in the Windows about dialog, while SP0 does not.

A quicker way to tell the difference is SP0 will not contain the string "CSDVersion" in the ISO image. That is the registry key that holds the service pack value. (File dates are different, but file dates might differ on other language versions)

There were no official Microsoft CDs with later NT 4 service packs slip streamed in. Later ones were installed from an installer on top of an existing installation.

Apparently SP0 has some critical (data corruption?) issue that warranted the change.
  • "Between the different types, this is the only difference."
    yup.

"A quicker way to tell the difference is SP0 will not contain the string "CSDVersion" in the ISO image."
    Ah. Good to know.
  • edited January 29
    These are from what I consider valid sources (uploader is experienced and consistent, and/or includes a product image plus ISO details).

(WKS 4.0 SWE VOL:
    Setupp.ini contents:
    [Pid]
    Pid = "52372270"

WKS 4.0 ENG VOL:
    Setupp.ini contents:
    [Pid]
    Pid = "50036270"

WKS 4.0 ENG SELECT:
    Setupp.ini contents:
    [Pid]
    Pid = "50036270"

As I've noted before, usually, these official "Select" ISOs from Microsoft have a product key embedded. I have not taken the time to check this go-round.

YMMV