Why do laptop hard drives rattle?

Comments

• yeah its the hard dive on its own that rattes tho.
    it happens with a couple of others i have but then again they have loads of bad sectors...
    TopherNET wrote:
    My guess is that hdd will fail sometime soon.

hope it doesn't fail soon laptop hard drive prices are well... nuts
    i paid
  • edited June 2004
    That sucks. Hmph.. odd. I should see if my drives have a lot of bad sectors or not...
    TCPMeta wrote:
    Theres a easy way then that. Instead of moveing the files to the PC that has the CD-RW you could just select the files you want to burn over the network. So for a example say the PC I want to backup files from I just tell my CD creating program to use files from \\mytoy\c$ or \\mytoy\backup (thats if I have a shared folder that has my files.) This way it saves you time, but set your CD-RW to use 24X or lower.

Good idea! Some utilities may want it to be mapped, though.
  • Yeah, like Nero. but it does work
  • Yeah. Mapping usually makes things a lot easier, since it appears a lot like a local drive.
  • yeah, most programs arent smart enough to tell the difference
  • Between locals and mapped network shares or between network shares and mapped networked shares?
  • between drives and network drives

the reason you cant use regular network drives is becuase I think "NetWork Nieghbohood" or"My Network Places" is a folder generated by a program
  • Yea... I think so. You can just drag and drop into Nero, though!
  • mapping drives also makes it easier to scan your whole network for viruses at once
  • Yea, since the point of mapping is to make a permanent connection, like a local drive.
  • I was talking about Mr. Beanbag.

IBMM Thinkpads, you just unsnap the keyboard by prying it open with a knife or something then you can see whats rattleing
    I have clips to undo mine! :D What make is your harddrive BOD?
  • IBM travelstar. you undo 3 screws on the base and the hard drive kinda slides out from the side.
  • what model you got?!?!?!?!
  • Thinkpad 240x
  • ahh... i got a 760EL. you can just un click the front of the kboard with that model.
  • Mr.BeanBag wrote:
    ahh... i got a 760EL. you can just un click the front of the kboard with that model.

760ED, I think, here. It's nice to just click that keybaord tray up, and have everything at your fingertips.
  • i think i've found a reason why they rattle...
    these are pics of an older IBM 2.5" hdd....
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigalligatorman/_images/hdd.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/bigalligatorman ... s/hdd2.jpg

wierd.....
  • Mr.BeanBag wrote:
    ahh... i got a 760EL. you can just un click the front of the kboard with that model.

760ED, I think, here. It's nice to just click that keybaord tray up, and have everything at your fingertips.
    yup...apart from the fact that i like to f**k around with it :P
  • Hehe... those clips on the side can be a little stuborn at times, I must say.
  • I tried to open up the metal panel where the CPU and base RAM is, but theres like too many screws. not just inside the case, but I think you gotta rip apart the case to get that metal plate off
  • Hmmm... I've never tried. It would be cool to upgrade, though. Did they use special mobile processors or no back then?
  • Some used special, some not. I seen some Pentium MMX's and AMD K6-II's laptop CPU's that fit into normal So7 mainboards. The only difference is that the portables use a lower voltage which makes them great for overclocking. I bet my thinkpad has the CPU soldered in there.
  • That would probably mean mine does, too. Damn.
  • Probly not, I see mobile CPU's all the time on eBay
  • i wonder if i can find a new processor for mine? hmm it might accept pentuim 2 450...
  • Once I had a 386 laptop that I bought for 50 bucksa at a garage sale back in 95. I found It had 4MB of ram and I found some memory that would of put to 16MB and a 387 fast math module. Well on the bottom there was a little spot to insert the 387, so that was a easy task. There wasn't a little door to open to insert the memory so I had to open it up. Well I unscrewed the bottom screws and ithe base didn't want to come off. I also unscrewed the monitor and still no luck. I found two screws under the warning label (I hate it when they do that). When I removed the last screw the keyboard came off but all of the little springs fell out and went everywhere. At this point I didn't care. I wanted it open. Well I took a look under the keyboard and all I saw was just a chunk of plastic. No screws or anything. Long story short. Had to slide out the HD and Floppy then the motherboard was able to slide out from the back.
  • ah yes the x87 math copprocessors...
    the only way to run 98 on 386's and 486's......
  • Unless it's a 486DX with intergrated math co-processor.
  • I had 98 on a 386SLC whith an i387 and it ran like shit.