Request: Mirai and Nendo

Comments

• Here is the picture I promised of a model I did with Nendo 20 years ago! Looks like I will have downsize the size of the image! It won’t allow me to upload at its current size!
    Enjoy this funny image for now!

• edited March 2021
  • can anyone reupload any of the links here?
    all links are dead...
  • edited September 2022
    I got you, jokel.

Mirai: https://archive.org/details/nichimen-mirai-1.1a-portable (I think this is the one that was previously shared here)
    N-World: https://archive.org/details/nichimen-n-world-3.2

EDIT: Nendo: https://archive.org/details/nendo-15
  • Several Mirai-Nendo Threads on here....Might as well have the texture library I made awhile back...802 brushes & quite a few textures in Mirai (MIR) format...Most brushes converted from PNG to MIR retaining alpha transparency...

For general crap Mirai opens JPG, TGA, TIF, BMP (but not PNG) so the PNG to MIR is only way for PS-Like brushes...

That is if you get Mirai running at all...Most what I find is people DL Mirai then 'play around' by double-clicking 'Start-Mirai' which won't work...They get error & unbeknownst get bad license file written to disc so then maybe they follow directions but it STILL don't work cause they have that same bad license file still on disc...

So best to be smart not stupid & follow directions...The ONLY way the previous way work is if you have spare machine constantly set back to June-July 2002...

https://userscloud.com/29buet9cyc47
  • hey ahw_
    i have tried it on windows xp but it sadly doesn't work both don't open i have tried setting the date to June-July 2002 but the world one gives me a license error and the other one doesn't launch
  • hey there TalkOrBell
    is there any way you can share your mirai?
    as for some reason the ones on archive and another one i found on another site dont seem to work even when you change the date
    thanks in advance!
  • I have looked at that one it appears to be the same...There is MORE than the datefake...Mirai has numerous EXEs running & ONE called lmgrd.exe needs to NEVER be firewalled...BUTT you don't have to be hooked to internet...If it be firewalled you will get error...

So NOW start over...go to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\.mirai-1-1 Go ahead & delete that entire folder...The subfolder is where license data held but since you have no prefs yet just delete the whole thing...Mirai will write NEW FRESH License-Prefs folder next time it's started...

Also go to C/Flexlm & delete any file that has reference to Mirai I-E 'Nichiman' or 'LMGRD'...etc...

Now ...NOW...Making sure system date is June-July 2002 whether manually or through proper setup of cracklock go ahead & double-click 'Start-Mirai' again...You should also make sure your DirectX 9 is updated as far as it can go I had one XP machine keep coming up with directx related error...Updated it then no problem...

You should get it to run...I have it running on 8 out of 10 XP machines...The ones it don't work on are from 2003 vintage with marginal video function...
  • Just a few more for information LMGRD.EXE was used back in the day for the interactive online help which apparently didn't work very well...However it was also used as a conduit for license check...I was running Mirai in 2018 & got license error all-of-a-sudden...Izware was still online then so I figured there was STILL a checking going on as I had not pulled out cable before starting Mirai...If you have prefs set then you just delete the SUBFOLDER in that .mirai-1-1 folder, make sure all Mirai related EXEs are killed off, then just restart...Since Izware now gone since 2019 I don't think there will be a problem...Just remember you CAN'T FIREWALL LMGRD.EXE but you CAN be unhooked from internet...
  • More explanation!!...Mirai needs SPECIAL MASSAGING because it's a 3D OPERATING SYSTEM not a 3D APPLICATION....However NENDO is a simple 3D APPLICATION....

If you get Mirai running then first thing you should do is create any object then right-click in the viewport & choose 'render'...If your video card is not fully compatible it will not render but you can still model-paint then export however dynamics & animation will not be available...

Nendo should work for everyone & very fast & efficient...Easy to pick-up...If you can't get Mirai to run but want something with a bit more 'oMPFF'' then use...NO NOT WINGS3D...It's coded out of that terrible 'ERLANG' making it chug on relatively few polygons...no try gSCULPT! It is in operation very similar to Nendo & Mirai can do high polys, is procedural, can retopo, has nodal view & about every edge command you'd ever need...SOMEHOW this gem has gotten past a great many....

http://gsculpt.sourceforge.net/

• hey there TalkOrBell
    first i would like to say thank very very much!
    this has been insanely helpful and helped me get it running!
    time to make some models!

well i don't think we should be worrying about LMGRD.EXE doing anything any time soon
    also good to know you cant block it with the firewall as that's what i was thinking of doing first its more of a habit to just block software from connecting to the internet since a lot of the software i used will still run in the background even after you closed it which is a pain sending all sorts of data back with the internet

and yeah WINGS3D was just not my thing when i searched for Nendo and couldn't find it anywhere (which thanks again for sharing it!) all i would see are people who were asking on where to find nendo or how to use and everyone just told them to use blender maya or WINGS3D but i disagree i managed to make more things with nendo then i did with WINGS3D or blender and maya
    as it was way more comfortable and fun to work with then those two

wow i have never heard of gsculpt it looks really interesting thank you!
    i plan on checking it out today
    i have a feeling the main reason a lot of these software go by unnoticed is because everyone always recommends the "big guys" aka blender and maya so no one really bothers giving much attention to all those hidden gems you also have the arguments of "don't use it because its old" which i find dumb just because its old doesn't mean you cant use it and make great things with it!

thanks again i hope you have a great day!/night!
  • Well...Thanks for the gratitude...Rare these dayz...

See Wings3D Got some feature but say you wanna enter sculpt mode you gotta subdivide some by the time you do you cannot even move the model, not easily at least....

Nice about NENDO is that it has JUST ENOUGH to do MOST things & absolutely NO excess...So very beautiful in that respect...However if I was in charge & drones came to me showing that pathetic demo video I woulda fired them as it makes it look like you can only make TOY 3D models in NENDO...

Not so...Here my BiBeast model-paint in Nendo-

gSculpt very good though, much recommend...Only drawbacks are just OBJ format & no paint just modeling...

Well, If you got Mirai running you are doing good...When shutting down or restart make sure all the EXEs are killed before restart...Some machines don't shut them down right...Also CLEAN OUT the FLEXLM folder often of mirai files including TripX which will normally dump in C/TEMP till you change prefs...

You should GRAB the texture library if you haven't yet....

Let me know if you need more anything....
  • Also in the documents folder there is a #Pref Files Copy Color Data folder if you overwrite these files in the .mirai-1-1 you will have my GUI colors but if you choose your own & like what you got copy & save those files as all you gotta do is overwrite on a different machine to have same GUI colors...
  • Also more info - Mirai & Nendo same company but NOT compatible & shortcuts all different...In Nendo hitting 'D' key repeats last command, in Mirai hitting 'D' changes shading domain...

You should open Mirai, create a sphere, torus, whatever then right-click in the viewport & choose 'render'...If it renders you are 100% good to go...
  • i agree the little demos that come with it really are not showing its true potential
    when i first saw one i was thinking oh this is a pretty nice start but then it just stopped
    when they could have made and improved so much more
    now your BiBeast is something that should have been included that's something i would say is a respected and well made model and not those tiny demo models

i started using gSculpt and honestly i really like it
    its a shame its not more well known thank you for letting me know about it!

oooh i see i will keep that in mind then i think im going to make a small sticky note of that so i wont forget to do it
    and yes thanks again for that massive texture library
    absolute insane work!

never knew it was that customizable i would expect it to only let you have default one but looks like that's not the case which is good!

hmmm might take some time to getting used to
    especially when i plan on using both and i will probably be using that shortcut quite often
    gotta love muscle memory lol

and yes everything rendered successfully!
    thank you very very much for your time and help!
    you have been a tremendous help! :D
  • Cool Beans...A few more things if you can stand it. The manuals are not updated to Mirais 1.1 SP2a status so there are alot of 'undisovered' features...Good to have a note app or similar ready to jot down anything new...

Also Mirai very context driven to a deep level...If you right click on your faces or whatever & choose 'move' but hold the ALT whilst clicking on ''move' either with left right or middle mouse button (they will have different effect) you get a MAGNET MOVE now you simply choose a suggested falloff & once you do you DO IT...If you hold CTRL whilst clicking the suggested falloff you get a WHOLE NEW menu with the ability to choose your falloff from a buncha different coordinates...

Even though old it is very advanced as you can MODEL, UV MAP & 3D PAINT all at the same time interactively in different windows all updating realtime...How many 3D app in 2022 can do that?...

The 3D painter takes a bit of time to get sea legs it's not like photoshop...

Remember that using 'D' key or menu you use OpenGL view for MODELING ONLY & everything else use MIRAI domain...

The MAGNET MOVE-

MUCH DEEPER into the very same MAGNET MOVE-

• Lastly...Head over to drymedia7's channel there are a number of Mirai Videos by Martin Krol from 2002-2003...Many of these I made into screensavers...His 'Freak' series is 3 videos!...Also one with Bay Raitt from 1999 originally 320x240 rez...

https://www.youtube.com/user/drymedia7/videos

BTW...Bay Raitt used Mirai to make all the Head Morphs of Gollum in LOTR I think it was over 600 head morphs!!
  • oh that's a shame
    i wonder if there is an updated version of the manual floating around somewhere or they simply didn't bother updating it

i see i have noted all of that down
    this is starting to be less confusing
    thanks you!

I'm surprised i didn't find this channel
    those are insanely well made
    but i guess what more can you expect of a professional =)
  • Nothing Updated...There are some clues in the forum archives included in the 'documents' folder but NO they were 'Goin' Down' so did not update I'm sure the online help was probably updated somewhat but nobody had the foresight to 'rip' or save in any way...

Like I say that second image above is NOT in the manual...You are pretty much on your own....
  • damn that's a shame
    that's why I'm extremely thankful for everything you have provided!
    i would have been probably ripping out my hair trying to figure out how to do this and that lol
  • Well, With Mirai it's at least worth the hair loss...You will eventually see that even in 2022 it's one of the foremost modellers still...But most other areas it's far behind...Even in 1999 the rendering was poor compared to others as rendering was Mirai's worst attribute...But like I said earlier you can Model, Paint, UV Map & whatever else all at the same time & in an operating system written in common LISP....Mirai was pretty expensive at $6,500.00...
  • its a shame no one really talks about it everyone mainly talks about blender or maya
    which i have used in the past but personally mirai and nendo are far better to use for me
  • Yeah, And MOST out there would probably be happy with Nendo or Mirai but it's not the FAD & it won't get me a buncha THUMBS UP...But if some present blender 'guru' started using Mirai & posting then the sheeple would clamour...Weird World...

Personally I deleted over 200 GB of blender 'krap' last year got tired of having to 'relearn' everything then just when you make progress they change GUI completely I starting to think blender is a cosmic joke...

I DID keep all early blender goods from 2.49-down those were great & I have a 2.49b special edition I keep that cannot be found anywhere anymore...2.49 had sculpt-paint & really good UV tools plus it was last of old code real zippy...

Someday when not so busy I'll learn OLD blender...I think it's well worth learning...

Some might frown that you can't make anything good...That would be idiot-speak here is gallery from 2009...I see alot of good stuff there-

http://web.archive.org/web/20090220175818/http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/gallery/art-gallery/

So OLD blender great forget new blender plus new blender you gotta have a powerful machine to exploit & have to use constantly to retain all the shortcuts in your friggin' head I have seen where experts have been away fro 2-3 weeks & say how hard it is to get back the knowledge...What for just krap that is displayed on a screen?...What a joke...
  • strangely that's just how it is not to mention the never ending war between users of blender and maya fighting on whos better
    or discouraging people to use anything else besides the big guys like yes i get it they are much more newer and modern and what not
    but there's absolutely no issues with using old software's

i have to say the old blender looks far better and more simple and welcoming to use then the newer one
    also was it called special edition? since all i find are REAL blenders lol

another thing that annoyed me with blender is i followed a pretty long tutorial but oops in the middle of it turns out the options are just not in the same place so i just had a headache trying to figure out where's what and dropped the whole thing :o

that would definitely be a response you would get again with "old software not recommended " argument sure its old and doesn't receive support anymore but if its comfortable to use and you know you can make great things with it why not give it a go?

yeah the powerful machine requirement sure is a pain
    the whole thing feels like a chore if you have to constantly use it just to not forget shortcuts or how to do certain things
    just doesn't feel worth it to me
    better use something simple lightweight while still being powerful!
  • Well...With newer but not even close to new we can exploit 'obsolete' software way better than those poor artists who had krappy machines of the day...

HEY...Since you are a Nendo User don't know if you've seen but you CAN make reference image planes in Nendo...I did it for modeling the Joan-Of-Arc figure-

I figured that out some years ago...

Now I haven't quite figured it out in Mirai yet...When YOU do let me know...

On old soft pretty much the LITERATURE was superior by far I just got my 'Inside Lightwave 6' book (1999) which is just shy of 2" thick & EXACTLY the same thickness as my 'Inside trueSpace 4'...Talk about information overload...

And just 4 BUCKS!-

• okok now that's interesting very interesting actually
    i was unaware you could do this which makes it 100000 times better
    really shows that all it takes is some messing around and thinking of all sorts of creative ways to do things

will do 👍as soon as i manage to figure it out!

true its far superior then a lot of modern documentation where sometimes they do have guides but its outdated since it changed way to much but even then its still minimalistic
    and no one bothered to update it so you either have to deal with it or hope the community updates it or sometimes its so bad you have to rely on the community for help

i kind of miss that time when you had a book with a bunch of info on a specific software you plan on using which should give you the starter tools on how to do :D

damn that's a genuinely good deal nice find!
    i think but i could be misremembering but i have seen the first book as a cd format not sure if it was a digital version of it or it just had the examples from the book 🤔
  • Yeah...To make the planes you just take a cube & collapse the edges along one side...Nendo still thinks there is a volume there but then your images go on the slabs in the paint room then you choose the sensitivity button in the object window to make it so it can't be selected but it still can be seen but you can also turn it off & hide for better visual modeling when you DON'T need the refs...

Nendo DOES have a bug though as per image-

I'll be sharing trueSpace 4.3 soon with a whole buncha plugs...It was the last version with the minimalist GUI that is akin to Nendo-

Actually quite a good modeler which is volume modeler like Nendo-Mirai-Wings3D as you must always be modeling on a volume no polygon-by-polygon modeling...
  • Here's a bit better image of trueSpace 4.3 with the panels all closed...

• oooh that's very interesting!
    i honestly feel like you should have been one of their testers :D
    would have been cool if it was still getting updates to this day so there wont be any bugs and other problems

never heard of trueSpace but it does look very good im a sucker for minimalist gui since you can do so much with what seems to be so little
    looking forward to using it!
    thank you very much for all of this!

that type of model reminds me of those pre rendered background you'd see in lot of games at the time :D

• Thanks for the Thanks jokel...

Yeah trueSpace was a big deal in the 90's as it was a cheaper 'mid-level' 3D package...It was also different being visually driven using icons & widgets which is like polar opposite of blender. Many trueSpacers believe this version 4 to be the best as far as stability & useablility...I was talking with famed Brycer Rashad Carter about 5 years ago & he said trueSpace 4.3 was the ONLY version he used then stuff goes into Bryce as Bryce imports trueSpace COB files...Here's a piece he showed modeled in tS 4.3 then rendered in Bryce 6.1-

Nice job on that for sure...

But YAH...like you I like the minimalist GUI approach even so my favorite from the 1999 to 2002 period is Cinema 4D XL7...Here I brought my Nendo BiBeast in to put on a procedural skin to look more like scars-veins-

But back to tS4...I have been adding plugins & extras to it...You see I just found a tS4.3 installer as before I just had tS4.2 well alot of plugins need 4.3 to work...So it will have quite a few plugs with it & I happen to LIKE the particular plugs that were made for trueSpace as they are targeted for the home Hobbyist, Artist & Semi-Pro so are 'funky-kool'...

However the simplest seems to be the most important like for symmetry like we all do well in tS then you used either 'Glue as Sibling' or 'Object Union' both which are fiddly & not fast at all...There were 3 plugs to fix this one commercial, the other I found but was for later version then I found 'mirror whole' which PLEASANTLY works like Nendo-

Wow...I've kinda laid down alot this time better call it quits for now...