Abyss

edited April 2004 in Software
Many of you think the only way to go is Apache. Apache is a great native american tribe, but its not too good of a webserver. With abyss its easy, not confusing. You dont have to make "web directories", just new folders. You chave the option to make custom error pages and all kinds of fun stuff. Plus password protection built in (as in, u MUST type in a password to get in). Im not trying to change anybody's mind or "switch them over", im just letting you know its out there and is a good thing.

http://www.aprelium.com/

[Got any questions about Abyss, Fish and I use this webserver and can answer most questions]

Comments

• or you can go IIS!
  • I "could" go IIS, just like i "could" do a dead mule. In either situation i wouldn't, but i still "could".
  • lol IIS sucks [CS]
  • I tried Apache last night... TOO CONFUSING... abyss is SO much easier and small..
  • Fish and I tried IIS 1ce, remember Fish?

-Q
  • looks like someone deleted my slam on a certain person, which i will over look for now,
    i still say Abyss is the best, but w/e works for u
  • FishNET650 wrote:
    I tried Apache last night... TOO CONFUSING... abyss is SO much easier and small..

I've never really used Abyss before, do you have any good websites that tell you how to use it?
  • LoL!

Noone needs to TELL you how to use it, all the configuration is done through a web interface (ALL of it). And if that confuses you, just hit the '?' next to whatevers confusing you.

-Q
  • Yeah, I love its router-like interface!!!

Unlike Apache's damn text files...
  • FishNET650 wrote:
    Yeah, I love its router-like interface!!!

Unlike Apache's damn text files...

You mean Apache's *one* text file?

How is httpd.conf confusing in the least? It's got 5x more comments explaining the options than there are options ...
  • abyss is wonderful,

fish, if u are scared of apaches text files get the apacheconf gui for apache at www.apache-gui.com
  • I just prefer AWS, but my svr has Apahce setup by default, so I'm going to use it and not screw with it

-Q
  • Just downloaded and tried abyss... pretty swish! Fishnet was right, it's just like configuring a router ::D
  • Well heres one thing you all forgot about Abyss, if you have the port forwared for the Abyss Control Panel some one can do some bad voodoo to your webserver. So don't put your PC that you use as a webserver on the DMZ list and don't forward the port.
  • youve brought up a good point TCP, that alot of ppl overlook, kudos to you
  • Good point, TCP. That can be quite dangerous if you don't take precautions.
  • Right, that's why you ONLY FORWARD THE PORTS YOU NEED. DMZs are inherently dangerous for that reason. All your opened ports (Including the OS specific ones) are vulnerable. And (unless you pick a rather dumb usr/passwd), they have the hack in.

True, it CAN be very dangerous, but there are ways to secure it.

-Q

PS. What port is, anyway, 9999?
  • Abyss's remote access port..
  • Got my Abyss server working, check it out! ::D

http://www.rubenerd.com/local/
  • A friend of mine got a router and did DMZs on all of them, because he said he couldn't be stuffed setting up ALL those ports...

Guess who'll get the last laugh?
  • All the computers he connected to his router that is
  • The operation timed out connecting to your IP addr.

-Q
  • I have my servers on DMZ but also I have a firewall running on them and my router has a anti ping attack. So i'm good.
  • My servers on DMZ with several ports blocked, and the router has DoS protection...
  • I just set DOS protection mode, close all ports, forward port 81 for HTTP,and 69 for FTP.
  • rubenerd wrote:
    I've never really used Abyss before, do you have any good websites that tell you how to use it?

Here's a useful website you can look at. It has tutorials on how to setup and configure PHP, phpMyAdmin, MySQL, and also phpBB.

http://os17fan.cjb.net

Also you could always check the Forum at Aprelium.com
  • WoW!

NICE site!

-Q