Dual Booting

Comments

• BOD wrote:
    if you get a virus its best to reformat. i cleaned out a comp with w32/spaces.a or somethin like that. and it didnt work properly. antivirus is only good if you have like 1 or 2infected files...

W32 is a bitch, itll cling to all your executables. Thats why I use all RAR's
  • Umm, there are thousands of W32/* viruses, not all corrupt EXEs.

-Q
  • I meant W32/Pirati
  • yeah but i said w32/spaces. it was my mums computer. she'd got it off some e-mail. she refused to let me clean it claiming it would damage the computer in some way....

i tried to tell her so many times that the system couldnt get much worse... but n00bs never listen or learn
  • Same here but for my grama, she dosen't want me to install a vnc sderver on her puter so that when ever she has a problem I can fix it. She claims it could screw up her computer. I don't think getting in an argument is necessary so I just leave it at that. I hope she will lemme install it soon.
  • my mums the kinda person that panics when she presses backspace and stuff like that
  • I guess the best way to get rid of a virus is just to reformat. Go back to a nice clean fresh installation of Windows. Back up everything of course before you do it.
  • BOD wrote:
    my mums the kinda person that panics when she presses backspace and stuff like that

lol, uh oh...this popup said I may just have installed a virus due to infected files [BACKSPACE]!!! [BACKSPACE]!!! [BACKSPACE]!!! [BACKSPACE]!!! [BACKSPACE]!!! [BACKSPACE]!!!
  • but be careful what u back up ive reintroduced a virus that way...
  • There are still virues that can distroy data but they're rare. Most viruses are just little crapy programs that download ads and crap to your PC to waste space and just to piss you off. I recimend that everyone that are end users get to know your registry so if you end up with a virus then you can easyly remove it. Also its a good idea to leave the protected files thing on. most viruses target the DLLCashe directory.
  • I just burn any importany documents/reports on my laptop and then rfmt if something happens.

My desktop is a different story though.
  • Yeah, I went through my registry once and found alot of shit that was deep in there
  • Which is why a rfmt every 6 or so months is a good thing.
  • Meh, with a good anti cirus program and a defrag ever few weeks, im good
  • I hardly ever defrag. I should try that sometime.
  • LOL, that how you make an ATA133 drive run at ATA66 speed.

I end up reinstalling Windows every 2 months becuase I end up fucking it over. I just pop in my magic CD, bootup with NTFS DOS, copy files over to D:, format C: and install Windows.
  • ive had my server for like a month and ive already reinstalled windows 8 times. i just cant decide which version works best....
  • I like to use VPC to determine which version is best (for home use)
  • yeah but vpc is slow...

i keep changin it from 2k to NT

2k has compatability but NT is waay faster....
  • BOD wrote:
    ive had my server for like a month and ive already reinstalled windows 8 times. i just cant decide which version works best....

are you serious? wow..I'd just find a good windows and stick with it.
  • the point is i cant find one that works....

at the moment im putting NT4 back on it...
  • BOD wrote:
    the point is i cant find one that works....

at the moment im putting NT4 back on it...
    BOD is obviously a prime candidate for dual boot. Put
    them both on and boot to whichever you need at the
    moment.
    And unless you like reinstalling the OS you should use
    a disk imaging app. I'm currently using Norton Ghost
    but have used Powerquest Drive Image and it works
    just fine. After you install, get the needed updates, and
    install the things you really need, make a disk image
    of your installed OS and save it. I usually save it on a
    logical partition but making one to CD in probably
    better but both are best of all. Windows 98SE usually
    fits on just one floppy if it's lean. It can be put back from
    the hard drive the fastest but if you have it on CD you
    can reformat and get rid of everything first and then put
    it back clean.
    Thump
  • i might actually do that NT4 only uses like 177MB hdd all i need to do now is get IE6 so i can go to windows update and i'll be done...
    although i will have to hunt down my copy of drive image
  • NT4 with SP6 should be good for you. You dont need IE6...just grab Firefox and roll with that.
  • windows update needs it and im not really gonna be surfin the net with it so i might as well not bother will ffx...
  • Windws update need IE6 in NT4? Uhh....I dont think so.

With Service Pack 6a installed, your install is going to be about 250MB
  • i tried with ie4 and it wouldnt work and after apache and a couple of other things its about 400MB form what i can remeber Drive image can get 1GB of hdd on a cd
  • Yeah, as an estimate it's pretty safe to say you can put
    about 1 gig on a CD. If I can help I can be contacted
    here:
    thump@draac.com
    It's not too dependable so if you don't hear back try, try
    again. It won't go in my profile right now.
    Thump
  • wow 1 gig on a CD.

That is very amazing. is that 1 gug for a 650MB cd or a 700 or just a 600MB?
  • Its compressed to under 700Mb then burned.