WoW, what a shiity 'defence'!

QQ
edited August 2004 in Software
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3554084.stm

It has:

- Lower sesolution graphics
- Even crappier networking then XP Home
- A block on running more then 3 programs @ once (!)

And that's going to stop Linux?!

-Q

Comments

• HaHaha. Nice try, Microsoft!
  • Ooooh, another piece of crap. They have almost NO chance!!! It won't get better!
  • Linux is still gonna be better than that peice of crap.
  • It's probably just gonna be the new standalone "safe mode" of Windows XP....talk about a good defense.
  • Hell, I can use nLite, get a slim install with no bloot and its waay better than that fucker

Its like MS is selling Windows in different packages. Its like if your buying the std. edition (starter ed.)but you gotta pay more to get the full featured version (XP Home/Pro)
  • Linux will ALWAYS continue to grow, no one can stop it, nothing can unless MS starts a rumor about linux.
  • Well that's certainly not much of a challange to Linux
    but I'd like to try it. Too bad it's just for asian
    countries, I don't speak any asian language.
    I don't need high resolution and three programs at
    once seems like enough for me. I bet it's stable
    as can be.
    IBMWarpster, what's nLite? You've mentioned
    it before and it sounds like something I'd like to try
    as well.
    Thump
  • I highly doubt that it's sable as can be. 100:1 it's just a hobbled copy of XP with a lower price tag and maybe different ProdKey algorithm.

-Q
  • edited August 2004
    Something tells me Windows XP Starter Edition isn't going to do the slightest bit of good. Unless it's priced between $20 and $25, most of the people wouldn't bother, especially if they can get a pirated copy of the real XP for a lot cheaper, or Linux, which must be quite popular there if Microsoft is so afraid of it.

And I certainly wouldn't be very happy if my computer could only run 3 programs at a time, and wouldn't have high-resolution graphics or extended network options.

Maybe if it turns up in Singapore, Ruben can let us know what he thinks of it (if he's still around here, that is).
  • I find that funny.

MICROSOFT, afraid of LINUX!

Microsoft should try and end pirating, not Linux
  • I'll buy it anyway just because its something else to add to my OS collection. I won't ever use it, but...
  • It's supposedly going to go for ~30 US$. And is MS gonna consider systray apps like SigX or Gaytor count towards that 3 app max?

And besides Linux, piracy is evidently very popular in those Aisan countries, and this is supposed to offer a legal alternative.

However, I'll say it again: "WoW! What a shiity 'defence'!" Who'se gonna pay from some piece of crippled crap when they can get the real thing for free?

-Q
  • They're gonna make cracks for it so you get past the 3 app thing
  • Thump wrote:
    Well that's certainly not much of a challange to Linux
    but I'd like to try it. Too bad it's just for asian
    countries, I don't speak any asian language.
    I don't need high resolution and three programs at
    once seems like enough for me. I bet it's stable
    as can be.
    IBMWarpster, what's nLite? You've mentioned
    it before and it sounds like something I'd like to try
    as well.
    Thump

Some of my relatives are still in China/Southeast asia. My mom and dad make yearly trips to there, I'll just tell my parents to buy me a copy. So I should get a hold of a copy soon.
  • LoL, Why would you want to buy it
  • hmmm is windows me better than this?

time for a poll!
  • No, it is not.

XP Starter at least has stability
  • No, it is not.

yea, but its virtually useless cuz u can only run 3 programs. adlease winme can run more.
  • TopherNET wrote:
    No, it is not.

yea, but its virtually useless cuz u can only run 3 programs. adlease winme can run more.

3 Prgrograms max... Does that count services?

If not I will work on an app to make all programs services.
  • 3 progs max?

M$ are going downhill faster than i thought...
  • Most of those Country's Where XPLite is Sold Are Poorer* that Most of Our's and Probably Cant afford The latest Hardware Etc... Making XP Lite A Benefit to them as it's req are probably lower than XP Home/Pro.
    India & Thailand - Dunno bout China
  • I think it's even better than WindowsMe.
  • yeah winME is hell....
  • I saw that. Microsoft fuck your brains, trying to get much money and realise BillGates' dream when he was a child: to turn this world into crap!
  • Roger Ngo wrote:

Some of my relatives are still in China/Southeast asia. My mom and dad make yearly trips to there, I'll just tell my parents to buy me a copy. So I should get a hold of a copy soon.
    Roger I think we can't have it. You may be able
    to use it but we would not. It will come in some
    Asian language only but perhaps more than one.
    It will almost certainly not work in English. This
    will be one way they protect their high price sales
    here. It would have been nice though, we have
    poor people here as well.
    Thump
  • For the poor people here we have ABW!
    Windows 95 on the old shitty pentium! it'll run waay better than xp starter! because XP=too bloated to run on old Pentium I based systems!
  • I doubt they still use Pentium systems. Its more like Pentium 3 500mhz w/ 64mb SD-RAM.
  • Bill Gates's Dream When he was a Kid was for Every Family to have atleast 1 computer in the house, so no one is left out, if memory serves, thats what it was.
  • For the poor people here we have ABW!
    Windows 95 on the old shitty pentium! it'll run waay better than xp starter! because XP=too bloated to run on old Pentium I based systems!
    Yeah, Go ABW!
    The amount of bloat in the stripped down version
    is really unknown until someone can test it.
    It might be OK.
    Thump