Microsoft replacements

edited April 2004 in Software
I'm compiling a list of alterantives I can use to Microsoft software in Windows... alas I still need to use Windows on some of my mmahcines, but the software doesn't have to be :)

Trying to use open source and/or free software, So far I've got:

WEB BROWSER
- Internet Explorer
- Replaced with Mozilla Firefox

EMAIL CLIENT
- Outlook / Outlook Express
- Replaced with Mozilla Thunderbird

PHOTO EDITING PROGRAM
- Paint (still love it though!), Microsoft PictureIt
- Replaced with The GIMP

OFFICE SUITE
- Microsoft Office
- Replaced with OpenOffice
- Surprisingly I am quite partial to Lotus Smartuite too!

MEDIA PLAYER
- Windows Media Player
- Replaced with Winamp 5 (with Video extentions installed as well)

FTP CLIENT
- Internet Explorers' built in client (shudder)
- SmartFTP

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM
- Norton/Mcafee/Panda/PCcillin/etc (so expensive)
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

WEB SERVER APP
- IIS (oh dear)
- Apache, Abyss

SOLITAIRE
- Windows Solitaire
- Sorry, no replacing it :D Though SolSuite 2004 is pretty groovy

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comments

• that's pretty sweet... there are some open source solitaires if you haven't checked them out already ;-)
  • rubenerd wrote:
    I'm compiling a list of alterantives I can use to Microsoft software in Windows... alas I still need to use Windows on some of my mmahcines, but the software doesn't have to be :)

Trying to use open source and/or free software, So far I've got:

SOLITAIRE
    - Windows Solitaire
    - Sorry, no replacing it :D Though SolSuite 2004 is pretty groovy

Anyone else have any ideas?

i have never tried that solsuite thing, but its something i should try out. i get hooked on the solitaire in windows , i had to stop playing it because i could sit there for hours just playing it.
  • haha... i'm hooked on pinball and, in linux, Frozen Bubble (i've been known to play Frozen Bubble for 6 hours straight... sad...)
  • Heh Heh.... I used Linux for a week or so. I had it on a nice 10 Gig Drive. The driver stood up in the case, connector up. I kneeled on the case to move some cables from system to system. Crunch goes the drive! It didn't really crunch, more of a sound that it was straining. Then it never booted again. I think it was a Quantum.

Never reinstalled Linux (will someday), but what I do remeber is the many cool games that came with it!
  • yeah... i think that's why alot of people like it :-/ lol
  • you couldnt have said it better

:2gunfire: die IE die
  • One of my favs was gnome stones
  • i got a replacement for the windows soitarie program, cards. . .
  • Hmph.... gnome stones... I'll have to play that. Wouldn't it be nice if I could get network access in Linux... hmmm.... maybe I'll work on that too. I was playing one where you're the penguin and you are skiing around on snowy hills and have to catch fish... that was kind of fun.
  • Ahh! Tux racer! Great game, but its horrible on my 16MB graphics card.

-Q
  • Yes, Tux Racer. That's the one. Except when I click on it now, nothing happens. -_-
  • Then run it from the cmdline, that solves alot of problems.

-Q
  • Ummm... how would I do that? Run konsole then type what? I'm a total n00b.
  • 1st find where the program is and what it's named

Then cd ./ to the dir where the program is, and the type ./programname and hit enter.

-Q
  • I don't think I'm Linux smart enough to do that. Sorry.
  • Windows Media Prayer: Winamp 5 and PowerDVD XP (that's what I use)
    Direct Cable Connection: LapLink Gold 11
    Explorer: Quarterdeck Powerdesk
    TweakUI: TweakXP

I used Corel WordPerfect 8 on my IBM/cyrix 266. Don't know if it still exists.
  • Youcan keep DCC, its way better than Laplink with the integation on Windows Networking.

But who the hell uses that?! I used to do DCC parelell internet until I just got a PCMCIA NIC.

to get back on topic........

Remote Desktop -- RAdmin
    CD burning wizard -- Nero/Roxio/adaptic/whatever the fuck
  • Radmin and Nero Kick ass!!!
  • Winamp
    Nero Burning ROM
    mIRC
    Mozilla Firefox
    Mozilla Thunderbird
    PUTTY
    CYGWIN
    SiSoft Sandra 2001te Standard

and that just the begening. To bad you can't customize windows like you can with unix.
  • PuTTY to my SSH svr.

-Q
  • mIRC? Windows doesnt have a real IRC Client. Only that shitty Microsoft Chat.

Now, OS\2 comes with ALL the stuff you want and free of the shit you dont.

It has its own IRC Clien that Works!

It has a browser called Web Explorer that blows, BUT you can remove it and guess what else? IBM RECEMENDS Mozilla and about 90% OS\2 users do use it.
  • I think GIMP is pretty good. For basic stuff, like screen shots just to show over IM, I still use mspaint ( :evil: ) but GIMP is great for more advanced stuff (like the smudge tool).

It did a great job of my campaign ad! See http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/pc/logo_level_2.png and tell me what you think!
  • rubenerd wrote:
    MEDIA PLAYER
    - Windows Media Player
    - Replaced with Winamp 5 (with Video extentions installed as well)
    Windows Media Prayer: Winamp 5
    Why did you bother to upgrade to version 5? The old version is just fine. I'm more surprised that Winamp.com only provides the download for version 5. The older version can be downloaded from www.oldversion.com
    I think GIMP is pretty good. For basic stuff, like screen shots just to show over IM, I still use mspaint ( ) but GIMP is great for more advanced stuff (like the smudge tool).
    Some of you probably know already or if not, GIMP is also available for Windows (screenshots)

Download:
    www.dropline.net/gtk/download.php

Tutorials:
    www.rru.com/~meo/gimp/Tutorial
    www.wingimp.org/tutorial
    empyrean.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/~nem/gimp/tuts
  • I think GIMP is pretty good. For basic stuff, like screen shots just to show over IM, I still use mspaint ( ) but GIMP is great for more advanced stuff (like the smudge tool).

I think thats what he uses.

To run the gimp in windows you have to install the GTK crap.
  • Ian wrote:
    Why did you bother to upgrade to version 5? The old version is just fine. I'm more surprised that Winamp.com only provides the download for version 5. The older version can be downloaded from www.oldversion.com

I cant stand 5... it runs SO SLOW on my 1.4GHz... like, it actually lags... and they want a 1.5GHz for it, which is VERY demanding for a MEDIA PLAYER... So I use WinAmp 2.91... the GOOD version.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I think GIMP is pretty good. For basic stuff, like screen shots just to show over IM, I still use mspaint ( ) but GIMP is great for more advanced stuff (like the smudge tool).

I think thats what he uses.

To run the gimp in windows you have to install the GTK crap.

Yep.. that's right. I had to install the GTK +2 Package. It's very nice, other that sometimes I get messages in a command prompt windows about fonts from it. I just minimize them and keep going.
  • What IS GTK? I found it on my computer and deleted it cause it sounded like spywarez..
  • It lets you run GIMP on a Windows system. GIMP won't install if you don't have it already. It can usually be found on the same page as wherever you download GIMP.
  • But I've NEVER installed GIMP on here...
  • Hmph.... maybe you started to and only downloaded GTK, not GIMP?

Or maybe it's needed for other programs.