Getting Windows NT 4 WS Bootdisks

edited August 2004 in Software
Hi. Does anyone know where i can get the Windows NT 4 Workstation Bootdisks?

Comments

• You can make them. Run Winnt.exe in DOS or winnt32.exe in Widows NT to make the disks. Also try www.Bootdisk.com

Welcome aboard Chrown!
  • Sure. Get them from WinWorld.
  • Winnt /b command - and NO bootdisks needed! It's easy...

And why do you want to use BootDisks?
  • Heh. Thanks for the tip Nemo. I'm gonna use it later on today.
  • Don't tell me Roger that you didn't know that...
  • NOPE!
  • Having DOS and Windows ask for a "bootdisk" or "emergency disks" are a pain in the ass. Good thing it comes with that switch.
  • Too bad whenever I try to install NT4 Server, it won't install without having the bootdisks.
  • Too bad whenever I try to install NT4 Server, it won't install without having the bootdisks.

You have to make those bootdisks.

The switch won't work/ or isnt there?
  • The switch is there, just that if I try to use the switch, it installs the temp files then reboots and is supposed to continue with setup (from CD), but it just goes back to the install of temp. files.

Oh well, I think I should make those bootdisks.

The switch won't work/ or isnt there?
    No, we did that a month ago on Nemo's PC, and it worked... Dunno what's your problem... but for me it works!
  • The switch is there, just that if I try to use the switch, it installs the temp files then reboots and is supposed to continue with setup (from CD), but it just goes back to the install of temp. files.

Oh well, I think I should make those bootdisks.

hmm....thats odd.
  • if youre using a different langauge version the switch is different... try winnt /?
  • This couldn't be! In Russian and in English versions switchs are the same. And I think, in other languages, too.
  • I used tbe correct switch, maybe it was some error somewhere (possibly from a badly burned CD to a PC Problem) answays, I got Windows NT 3.51
  • In Windows NT 3.51 that switch works also. It only doesn't work in Windows NT 3.1
  • If you have the complete CD you can just boot off the CD. I made a NT4 CD that has workstation and server on one CD and it's bootable. Had to use the floppy emulation and made the AUTOEXEC.BAT load up a option to install workstation or server. It also had a option to make the rescue disks but for some reason it doesn't want to work. I get a error when it hits 20% on the second floppy.
  • Run WINNT.EXE /B to do a floppyless installation
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    If you have the complete CD you can just boot off the CD. I made a NT4 CD that has workstation and server on one CD and it's bootable. Had to use the floppy emulation and made the AUTOEXEC.BAT load up a option to install workstation or server. It also had a option to make the rescue disks but for some reason it doesn't want to work. I get a error when it hits 20% on the second floppy.

Well this may be off-topic (On my post)

I am going to make an ABW OS Install CD (Has MSDOS 1.1, MSDOS 5, MSDOS 6.22, Windows 2.03, Windows 1.04, Windows 286, Windows 386, Windows 3.1, WFW 3.11, WinNT 3.1 (AS, WS, and Hybrid) WinNT 3.51 AS and WS

I think I am going to stick some applications on there too.
  • IBMWarpster, The AUTOEXEC.BAT has the choice command for it to install eather one and it uses the winnt /b syntax. The only reason why I added the little option to make the rescue disks is if I came across a older PC that doesn't have the option in the BIOS to boot off a CD.

=================================================

I'm goin off topic here for a second.

TechnologyHut, whats the point of the CD having DOS 1.x - DOS 4.x? Same with windows 1.x and windows 2.x. Kinda useless if you ask me. It would be worth it if you put like WFW 3.xx and WinNT 3.x or even Windows 95.
  • You could use a DOS bootdisk with CD-ROM support to run Winnt/b
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    IBMWarpster, The AUTOEXEC.BAT has the choice command for it to install eather one and it uses the winnt /b syntax. The only reason why I added the little option to make the rescue disks is if I came across a older PC that doesn't have the option in the BIOS to boot off a CD.

=================================================

I'm goin off topic here for a second.

TechnologyHut, whats the point of the CD having DOS 1.x - DOS 4.x? Same with windows 1.x and windows 2.x. Kinda useless if you ask me. It would be worth it if you put like WFW 3.xx and WinNT 3.x or even Windows 95.

Hmm good point, but if someone wants to try out Windows 1.x or Windows 2.x. Maybe I should remove the Windows 1.xx because Windows 2.xx loks simalir. Maybe I could even toss in Windows NT 4 Workstation.

Oh well, I should see how this goes (I am testing it with only Windows 1.04 and Windows 286 right now) good thing MagicISO can make a boot menu on ISOs.
  • Better is always to create bootable CD with NT Boot sector, that will run installation directly from CD.
  • Windows 9x Setups went to 20% when preparing files to be copied to the bootdisk, then they'd ask you to insert the disk or cancel.

Windows NT 3 and 4 used bootdisks during Setup for an annoying reason, so you can specify to not make them, but you'll need a provision for that.

-Q
  • be careful with bootdisks,i found with some that you have to use the lock command so setup can write to the disk properlty...
  • Yeah, with NT3.X and NT4, you need to unlock the drive so NT can install.