WinNT Daytona

edited August 2004 in Software
I recently download WinNT Daytona from WinWorld and I am trying to get it to install in VMware. When I put in the second boot disk and it loads NT, I get a blue screen of death. Any ideas?

Vitural Machine Specs:
128 mb of ram
512 mb of hd
Floppy
CD-ROM
Bridged Ethernet.

Comments

• It does not run on any CPU better than i586 (Pentium1). You should install it only on 486 or P1. Or you may use PII Update patch. That comes with WinNT 3.1 Advanced Server.
  • Daytona? I guess that's a beta of NT 3.5? So is it pretty much just 3.1 with unstable updates?
  • Daytona? I guess that's a beta of NT 3.5? So is it pretty much just 3.1 with unstable updates?

Yeah. I wanted to try it.
  • It's not just like NT 3.1. Daytona can run some modern 32 bit appz, and 3.1 cannot.
  • But is it a beta of NT 3.5? Meaning it came before 3.5 and before 3.51.
  • Yeah it is, but it's far better than NT 3.1. It can be compared to NT 3.5. TotalCommander works great there. And in NT 3.1 it causes "unexpected error 21"
  • what is this totalcommander people speak of?
  • An excellent file manager. There's nothing to do in Windows without it! (for me...)
  • Download it here: www.ghisler.com
  • Old NTs in VMware have given me many problems, NT 3.1 tells me "Invalid CPU Type" and dies.

-Q
  • You should install PII update to avoid that problem.
  • It's not because of VmWare. The problem is in NT3.1 which cannot work on 686 CPU (P-2 and higher)
    On P1 and 486 it works.
  • Why is that?
  • summit to do with the instruction set i think, maby MMX???
  • Pentiums had MMX. And Slash said it worked only with 486s and Pentiums.
  • i think it was only the later pentuims that had it, maby it was the amount of cache?
  • I don't know, maybe it was my A64 ::roll: ?

-Q
  • i get that when i try winnt 3.5
  • I wonder if I have installed NT 3.x on my pentium, I know I think I have tried it on my 386 or at least my 486.
  • NT 3.51 will not run on 386, i've tried it today!
  • Yes it will.

32-Bit 386's that is
  • Damn, believe me, I've tried, it hangs after 1st reboot..
  • that counts my 386 out... besides, I keep it and my 486 in a closet, while I use my pentium for all the old stuff (and test how new stuff works, I don't recomend longhorn, but XP runs)
  • I wonder can you run XP on 486?
  • Microsoft thinks so, even that it doesn't say on the box. The reason why I said that was because a while back if you went on the windows95 web area on microsoft.com they have ads everywhere saying

"Still running Windows95? Upgrade to Windows XP today!"
  • thats like telling u to buy a new pc cuase ur current one wont run xp for shit
  • No where on the ad said to buy a new PC. Makes me wonder how many people with say a 486 running Windows95 went to get some Updates for Windows95, and saw the XP ad and went and ordered XP. Then when they got it, it wouldn't run.
  • haha i feel sorry for them wasting money and beliveing the m-$ lie
  • Slash wrote:
    Damn, believe me, I've tried, it hangs after 1st reboot..

Thats becuase you got a 16-Bit one.

When you first reboot, NTLDR will just hang.

XP will run on a 486...just..very...very....slow....
  • the hells the point on installing it on a 486 if its goona run slow! dam m-$