Classic Windows: Which is your favorite?

Comments

• hell the whole OS is IE so either way theres no point of removing it with out something being messed up
  • Yea so just delete the icons and forget out it. The only time I use IE for is for windows update.
  • My favorite classic Windows is a tie inbetween Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Windows NT 3.51 - with all the service packs.

I'd use them more often if I could get on the internet with them. My cable doesn't have drivers for it. Farthest back it'll go is NT 4.0.
  • I'm Windows 3.1!!!!! Ahhh the Toshiba T2130CT with a pirated copy of Windows 3.1! Back then I thought that every coy of 95 used a single key, not a ton of them.
  • I remember that before Win95 came out MS had a news confrence that each copy can only use one serial number. Ofcorse this was when drinkordie.com started serving it like two weeks before win95 was relased. I think MS tryed to pull a fast one for people so they couldn't get a illegal copy. One thing I hated before I got the internet, when I had Windows3.1 and WFW 3.11 I didn't have the floppys and I would have to get some one to loan it to me. I finaly bought WFW3.11 shortly after Win95 came out and after a while I downloaded windows95 off of a BBS Server. Sadly for the longest time I was stuck with the damn OEM default VGA driver for my Trident video card. This was before I could surf websites. Didn't get a real ISP account untill early 96.
    (dance) (woot)

I had great times with Win3.x, I still use it for my 386 Laptop that is used for playing simcity and Wolfenstein 3D.

Also back in the day I had Windows NT3.51 installed on my server. It was my frist server and was a slow POS. Pentium at 75MHz, 64MB ram, 500MB HD, 2X Panasonic compatable CD-ROM, two 3com 56k Modems, 3com 4/16M Token ring. The reason why I had two 56k modems was so I can be connected to my favoite local BBS Server and also beable to use AOL on the other 56k modem. My parents had two phone lines in the house but since I did all of my surfing at night I used both lines. lmao

Anyway, some times I wish we were back when Win3.x and WinNT 3.x were still used as choice.
  • I was thinking about this last night:

Wouldnt it be great if we could just go back to ~1995, like, the years went back, but our computers and knowledge stayed the same.... we would truly have the *BEST* computers ever, and know more than anyone else.

Now THAT would be cool! (bounce)

Actually, I was gonna call Q today and mention that hahahah
  • Ever seen the movie Wargames? That would be cool. To just walk into the boy's room and say to him "check it out, I have a pentium III with 500mhz, 384mb ram, a total of 40gb disk space, two CDrom drives, and you can make your own cds, and a monitor with a maximum resolution of 1024x786 and a graphics card that can display millions of colors!"

I think the poor kid would faint :cool:
    Then he would trash his Altair 8800 system :D
  • Ever seen the movie Wargames? That would be cool. To just walk into the boy's room and say to him "check it out, I have a pentium III with 500mhz, 384mb ram, a total of 40gb disk space, two CDrom drives, and you can make your own cds, and a monitor with a maximum resolution of 1024x786 and a graphics card that can display millions of colors!"

I think the poor kid would faint :cool:
    Then he would trash his Altair 8800 system :D

Wargames was an awesome movie. DOS at it's finest...haha

As to Fish's statement, I wish the same thing too some times. We would be the best of the best.
  • WinMan31 wrote:

As to Fish's statement, I wish the same thing too some times. We would be the best of the best.
    That was not DOS, That was BASIC!
    I really liked that old mainframe. With all the flickering lights and stuff, and that cool acoustic modem and the voice synthesizer on that boy's Altair computer :D
    wargames.jpg
    Check out those massive 8"floppy disk drives!

The book was also really good.
  • WinMan31 wrote:

That was not DOS, That was BASIC!
    I really liked that old mainframe. With all the flickering lights and stuff, and that cool acoustic modem and the voice synthesizer on that boy's Altair computer :D
    wargames.jpg
    Check out those massive 8"floppy disk drives!

The book was also really good.

Ah really? haha I always thought it was some type of weird-DOS. thanks for the correction.
  • QBASIC can be quite a bit of fun. Is that the same as Basic?
  • Qbasic is better than BASIC.

QBASIC is more graphical, easier to use than the plan old BASIC that came with DOS 1.1..easier to compile programs into .exe files. Download Qbasic 4.5....thats the best version to use.
  • Has anyone seen the movie Hackers? That movie was cool.
    Funny thing about Wargames, it really happen. Ofcorse the book and movie over did it but some kid really hacked into a goverment server and fucked up some major shit. Also the book and movie used a lot of other things from what other hackers did back then. Like the payphone thing, they would do phone freaking with payphones. Thing is the caps don't unscrew, they're glued on. The trick is with that was take a nail and put it into the center of the reciver and used the metal casing on the phone to zap it to get a dialtone.
  • I bet BlacII could give him a stroke (<G>).

I want to learn how to whistle UUCP signals into a payphone...

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    I bet BlacII could give him a stroke (<G>).

I want to learn how to whistle UUCP signals into a payphone...

-Q

Check out the Anarchist Cookbook :D There is some fun stuff in there :D
  • lol, fun AT KMART! thats some of the highlights of it
  • WFWG 3.11 is my favorite Classic Windows. It is the most updated of the 3.1x's and even today isn't completely dead. And besides, aol 2.5 runs best on it.
  • I like WFW because it has the networking capabilities AND my favorite look of all time. The Win3x Shell.
  • All this versions are piece of crap. I like Windows 3.0 for its beautiful bootscreen.
  • WFW 0wnz all of the older versions.
  • It is a GREAT screen.

-Q
  • Yes it is. I modififed 95 to use that once.
  • Check out the Anarchist Cookbook :D There is some fun stuff in there :D

Probably illegal in this country...

-Q
  • Last year I modified 98 to use the bootscreen from Windows 1.01 :)
  • WFW 3.11 is still the best out of Classic Windows.
  • I like wfw 3.11 best. Once I realized how uber it is I could use no other. :D
  • I've never tried Windows 2.0x.
  • i'd have to go for WFW
  • 2.X and below are just DOS GUI's with no programs

Windows 3.0 has some programs, but I like DOS more

WFW kicksa ss
  • yeh, dos kicksass! i want to get a paint prog for it...even though my crappy laptop (magicbook) is black and white!