LFTS

edited August 2004 in Hardware
What is it?
    It stands for Large File Transfer System
    It is a way of downloading large files faster than normal.

===========================================
I came up with this idea last night. Roger and Topher are somewhat responible for this idea.

For a large file, say 200 mb, you would have 2 servers, each containing half of the file. When you start the download it will begin downloading each half of the file at once. Now you have 40 kbps download rate instead of 20 kbps. NOTE: This will not benifit dialup users (Sorry Slash).

The filesize will determine how many servers to use.
============================================
The CAT system
The CAT system is when you also download off of other clients downloading. BUT they must be able to download off of you.

It is called this, because my original diagram I drew looked like a cat.
=============================================
NOTE: This system is not intended for filesharing. It is intended for large downloads like XP Service Pack 2, or large game demos.
NOTE: The ports used for this system are 80 (download), 81 (upload)

Comments

• why port 80? Because it's opened for web browsing? And... upload speeds for many broadband users should be like double that, my speed alone is ~50-60 kilobytes per second. So your idea seems nice, but the numbers should be higher.

How do you suggest the files get split in half? According to this idea they would have to be put back together into one file on the downloading computer right? What's stopping corruption and other errors from happening as the file parts get dowloaded and reassebled?
  • I like the LFTS idea. BUT I don't really understand the CAT system.
  • ..should be like double that, my speed alone is ~50-60 kilobytes per second. So your idea seems nice, but the numbers should be higher.

I was using an example. It probally would be faster.
  • well I could see how it works, but you should change the ports to something no one will use (to prevent conflicts) su8ch as Port 512 (Download)and Port 256 (Upload)
  • well I could see how it works, but you should change the ports to something no one will use (to prevent conflicts) su8ch as Port 512 (Download)and Port 256 (Upload)

Good idea. The only problem is...I don't know how to right software that will do what I want LFTS to do,
  • plus you need a way to split a file in half and get the two servers to communicate with eachtoher.
  • plus you need a way to split a file in half and get the two servers to communicate with eachtoher.

I've got it! Rar it and split it in to two eaqual files and download each file from each server at the same time using FireFox.
  • can firefox download a file from two sources at once? That seems like a job for a real download manager like DAP, Star Downloader, and those others.
  • can firefox download a file from two sources at once? That seems like a job for a real download manager like DAP, Star Downloader, and those others.

I wanna give a shot for developing a client for this.
  • Topher wrote:
    can firefox download a file from two sources at once? That seems like a job for a real download manager like DAP, Star Downloader, and those others.

I wanna give a shot for developing a client for this.

Go ahead.
  • Well here is an idea, couldn't you split the file then compress each end?

BTW With the file names (On each server) will there be on Server 1 like (EG) download.01 file
    and on server 1 (EG) download.02 file?

BTW I hope this goes into a huge project into the future!
  • I dont think this will work, because most download speeds aren't limited by the servers that contains the files, but the speeds are limited inside the modem, or at the provider. For more information on the speed limit on cable modems, see here
  • Here is an idea, why not compress the file while it is being transfered from the Server to the recievers computer? Like say 70% compression, it would send alot of Data, and allowing Dialup users to take advantage of this.
  • thats gonna take a hell of a lot of CPU power, if u gotta slow machine like me taht is
  • that seems nice but how about a program that would shrink a 500mb file to a 50 mb file using compression. i guess that wont happen. sigh, ive been downloading gentoo linux 2004.0 for a month and a half and 2 other versions already came out.
  • Oh I got it! .tar.gz! It's compression is EXTREMELY good. That could be used for compression.
  • Nice try but CAT has been around for a long time, it's called BitTorrent.

LFTS = Serverside DAP. It might be good for companies like MS that have near to unlimited resources and large files to distriblue like MS and certain other unoffical organizations.

-Q
  • I really don't think this is a good idea. This already sort of exists in just about every file sharing app. Furthermore, download managers can download from multiple sources at the same time (if you even need to). I usually hit my max (about 360KB/s) with just one connection.
  • raDeon wrote:
    I really don't think this is a good idea. This already sort of exists in just about every file sharing app. Furthermore, download managers can download from multiple sources at the same time (if you even need to). I usually hit my max (about 360KB/s) with just one connection.

It was one of my wierder ideas.
  • No, raDeon, it's bullshit...
  • LFTS is worth the effort of development to see what happens.

You know what...Just use WinRAR or similar and split into file.part01.rar and file.part02.rar and stick them on different serverers and have people download them @ the same time.

-Q
  • In several threads...
  • Hell, I even tried LFTS on IJ's server and it worked. I downloaded 2 files off of him. He can't upload to me @ full speed.
  • The LFTS idea requires 2 servers on seperate lines.

It seems worthless @ face value and even upon closer inspection, but something in the back of my instinct tells me "Don't write it off just like that" and "Keep it in your mind". Why it tells me I don't know, but I will.

Anyone else get that, or is it just me and my strange mind?

-Q