Windows Longhorn

edited November 2004 in Software
With all the speculation about the next version of windows and from what we have seen from the alpha builds etc what is everyone looking (or not looking) forward to seeing in what will be effectivly Windows NT 6.

Although it will be released later after Longhorn actually ships Im curious as to how this WinFS will work. Also the windows all displayed in 3d looks cool plus imo the slate theme looks cool.

Richard

Comments

• WinFS won't be there. Microsoft removed it cuz they agreed that WinFS is not a good idea...
  • By that time I'm hoping that ROS will be good enough to warrant jumping ship.

-Q
  • the new colour scheme looks retarded, infact the whole ui looks dodgy
  • It's better than ugly Blue XP Theme.
  • I hate how the one build had that taskbar buttons centered, that's just unnatural.

-Q
  • Ooooh, what OS did that?
  • yeah, the on without the word "start"

and the blue XP theme isnt that bad.....
  • Silver is better.
  • I think Blue is better than Silver and that Green one.
  • Blue AND Silver are the best two, theyre even...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    You people are forgetting that these themes ...

... are never going to make it into Longhorn. The entire GUI is going to be making use of your GPU and its 3D features (Avalon). Nothing is going to look like it looks now.

Longhorn as it is now is just a development place for the core technologies, and placeholders for stuff that still has to be written/put in place.

WinFS isn't going to be released WITH Longhorn, but instead as an add-on pack, or in a service pack. WinFS is going to rock. If you don't know what it is, there are tons of sources out there that explain it in full detail.

Isisnt WinFS a SQL driven file storage system?

I believe theres an addon by some 3rd party to make NTFS sorta like WinFS with the database indexing.
  • Topher wrote:
    Tomchu wrote:
    You people are forgetting that these themes ...

... are never going to make it into Longhorn. The entire GUI is going to be making use of your GPU and its 3D features (Avalon). Nothing is going to look like it looks now.

Longhorn as it is now is just a development place for the core technologies, and placeholders for stuff that still has to be written/put in place.

WinFS isn't going to be released WITH Longhorn, but instead as an add-on pack, or in a service pack. WinFS is going to rock. If you don't know what it is, there are tons of sources out there that explain it in full detail.

Isisnt WinFS a SQL driven file storage system?

I believe theres an addon by some 3rd party to make NTFS sorta like WinFS with the database indexing.

Yea, it is... It's not any kind of filesystem... it's just a storage driver...
    Very useless...
  • Useless, or usefull?

-Q
  • Of course useless... 2k works great without it... and XP too...
  • Who thinks it's useful, please let me know what is useful there...
  • Slash wrote:
    Of course useless... 2k works great without it... and XP too...

you....... your...... saying XP works great? lol
  • I'm sure that XP is better that Longhorn.
  • Wow... I can't believe Slash said that!
  • Roger wrote:
    Wow... I can't believe Slash said that!

No. No. That's imposible. That can't be true. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Slash said XP was good.
  • Maybe hes realizing that its his computer thats bad, not the OS.
  • I said XP is OK, when it's perfectly tuned, like Fish told me... But I still find it easier to install 2000 than to tweak XP to look and behave like 2000.
    XP is a huge bloated crap with its default settings... but when it's tuned, it's pretty just like 2k.
  • Yea XP is far from incorrigible, I can spend a few minutes with it and I'll not notice any difference from 2000 unless I look, except for those folder icons...

-Q
  • well nLite may be able to make XP decent enough for some to use... I'll have to hack and slash it and see what happens.
  • Well, another question... Can I still use left Explorer pane in XP from Windows 2k...?
    I mean to use standard web view instead of that ugly "folder tasks"??
  • well nLite may be able to make XP decent enough for some to use... I'll have to hack and slash it and see what happens.
    Yes it nLite looks like a winner, I just found it myself. Please keep
    me advised about your progress. I hope to do it soon. I don't know
    anything about .net though. If you can make one from a corp. copy
    I sure would like to download it from you.
    It should be great for Slash and his Russian friends. It can remove
    all the bloat. It can install at 800 MBS and a disk image
    would compress to much less than the size of a CD.
    http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html
    Thump
  • Slash wrote:
    Well, another question... Can I still use left Explorer pane in XP from Windows 2k...?
    I mean to use standard web view instead of that ugly "folder tasks"??

How do you mean exactly? I don't understand...

-Q
  • i think he means can he replace folder tasks with the clouds from 2000....