Will there be Windows 2000 SP5?

2»

Comments

• And Intel will be around for a while as well as in my opinion Intel processors are far superior for heavy high end use. Fair enough AMD's are good for games but give me an Intel Xeon processor for my server any day.

Richard
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i agree with tom, theres not many things that intel are good for these days....
  • I think that near the future, the number of people running Windows will extremely drop to near 70-80%. Though it is my opinion, and not on any side

BTW w/ open source, some software that we use is open source. Apache, PHP, SQL, Shareaza, Firefox (not all of us use all these things)
    So really Open Source apps might be somewhat of the future.

oh well, this is really all opinionated, and am not really on either side of the argument.
  • I think windows will remain dominat for a long time to come but i think in the next few years open source will make great advancements, more servers running linux or bsd, ReactOS making great strives, etc...
  • Back to topic, SP5, well maybe. I'm cautiously hoping that it occours, it'll be something I'll look forward to downloading.

-Q
  • Thanks, Q, only you came along with me... SP5 will be good... MS won't throw it away if they're good...
    If not... well.... too bad... will get linux.
  • Why not use Linux now?
  • I know it's unlikely, but if SP5 had XP SP2s IE additions it would "own". I can hope, and wait...

-Q
  • I can't adopt to it...
    Still use it as my 2nd OS...
    Why I cannot install VmWare for Linux..?
  • QQ
    edited October 2004
    I have never been able to get VMware to install on Linux, but then again I use highly semi irregular kerenels.

-Q
  • Then again I use x8664 kerenels, not the x86 ones it probably expects. I have a feeling that some apps wont work on x8664 Windows for that reason (That it's a wholly different kerenel/system).

-Q
  • the *.tar.gz archive with vmware includes some folders and INSTALL.PL file... how can I install the program using that file? When I run that file MC writes "no action taken"... What package do I need?
  • isnt that the extension for PERL?
  • Make sure that the PL file is listed as executable, and try running it from the commandline, eg ./install.pl

-Q
  • "Cannot execute commands on non-local filesystems"
  • Stick it in your homedirectory and THEN execute it.

-Q
  • It didn't execute... :(
  • you have to have the proper libaries installed.
  • Slash wrote:
    MS have money... and MS-DOS was an excellent OS... It was 10 years ago... when they took market in their hands...
    Well I can agree with you here. Dos was an excellent OS.
    Slash wrote:
    I think 90% of WIndows users prefer Linux, but forced to use Windows cuz there are no apps or games for Linux...
    If 90% of windows users prefered linux then there would be no logical reason for 90% of 90% of the world to continue putting money into Microsoft.
    Slash wrote:
    When we all come together, uninstall Windows from our PCs, and install Linux, there'll be much more soft for Linux... And it's all free! Isn't that good?
    If we were to format our machines and install linux, most of our saved files would become worthless, essentially your asking for all of us to nuke our computers and start over with nothing. And it is free for now, if linux were to become mainstream the distros would find everyway possible to eliminate the smaller ones and essentially turn linux into their treasure trove.
    Slash wrote:
    All that m$ did is that they took market in their hands since 1988... And their shit is being bu millions of people! But this shouldn't continue anymore...
    So they took the market into their hands by creating some of the most stable and stadardized operating systems in history, there is nothing wrong with that and there is no reason to change that with the likes of linux and opensource.
    BOD wrote:
    intel will slowly die out when people realise AMD are better Razz
    Why would intel, the largest cpu, mobo, and chipset manufacturer in the world die out? They and microsoft almost go hand in hand. Windows is built to run on Intels architectures. AMD may at the moment seem to have better cpus, but they are doing better in the lower market area, it's not hard to beat celerons. AMD makes cpus with lower clock speeds and their architectures aren't the same as intels so that they don't get sued, although they use the exact same basic theories. (The AMD 64 family may have done one up on intels 64s, but that's about it.)
    Tomchu wrote:
    Get real, my friend. Windows is here to stay BECAUSE IT WORKS. Linux has a longgggg way to go before it replace Windows in every way.
    Yes, windows works, besides, how can linux replace windows, Microsoft is filled with inteligent thinkers and innovators, while linux is filled with anyone who feels like wasting time compiling something that isn't going to get them anywhere.
    Q wrote:
    Back to topic, SP5, well maybe. I'm cautiously hoping that it occours, it'll be something I'll look forward to downloading.
    Yes, if microsoft finds flaws that warrent a new service pack, I'm all for it. Maybe if longhorn ever comes out then a new service pack would help increase compatibility with newer technology.
    Q wrote:
    I know it's unlikely, but if SP5 had XP SP2s IE additions it would "own". I can hope, and wait...
    If 2000 gets an updated IE, it would be a nice plus, if it got XP's firewall or TCP/IP limitations, it would be a huge minus.
    Tomchu wrote:
    Q wrote: wrote:
    I have never been able to get VMware to install on Linux, but then again I use highly semi irregular kerenels.
    And that is exactly what is wrong with Linux. Have you ever heard of a program not working on Windows because of the combination of drivers you had loaded into the kernel?
    Exactly my view, linux gives people the power to make it a nice os for them, or to make it complete trash. The fact that linux rarely gets quality drivers from hardware makers is one thing, then the fact that most drivers don't work well at all is another.

Linux doesn't have enough industry support to warrent a move to it. Small minor variations in the kernels source is enough to effectively stop everything from working or installing. Windows is always windows, it has a quality created and tested driver database, it has plug and play that works, unlike linux who can probe for hardware, show you the name it finds when it asks "what are you and can I work with you?". Just because it can read the lines plug and play hardware can give, it doesn't mean it will actually work, and it won't even configure itself.

If windows has a hardware conflict it will fix it or tell you, if it doesn't know what hardware is, it will tell you. I've tried linux, it doesn't know what my video cards are (multiple machines). It said the name and everything, yet I couldn't get into a graphical area, and trying to log in often didn't work either. Linux is like a child, you have to hold it's hand and tell it what to do otherwise it doesn't work. Windows is matured and will do what it needs to get working (plus provide you with a multitude of ways to get it working should a problem arise).

Is linux a bad system? It was a nice idea for a college project, it wasn't supposed to leave that dorm room. The opensource community cannot thrust such unstandardized gibberish at us and expect to win.
  • Is linux a bad system? It was a nice idea for a college project, it wasn't supposed to leave that dorm room. The opensource community cannot thrust such unstandardized gibberish at us and expect to win.

And yet it seems to be flying higher and higher...

I'm ot sure Windows et al are TRUE standards, more of them are just de facto standards, not anything set-in-stone defined out and universally used, like (some) RFCs.

I don't think the (F)OSS community is forcing it @ you, local ppl like Slash are.

-Q
  • Good said, wingzero... in some way I can agree with you.

At long last I found out what was the problem...
    I was so stupid... I ran this crap directly from tar.gz
    First I should extract it! LMAO LMAO LMAO
    I am a n00b! LMAO
  • Hmm! I didn't see THAT coming!

-Q
  • yeah... extracting it could help. My linux friend keeps asking for the vmware link.... I don't know if he ever installed the darn thing. I told him about it he wanted it so badly..
  • Yeah, it was too easy... Now I know how to install software in Linux!