ok here's my prob....

edited October 2004 in Software
I'm working on a thinkpad 755cx for a friend of mine. It's running 95b. His ISP is peoplePC and when I try to install the peoplePC software on the machine, it says I need IE 5.5 SP1, which I DLed from Evolt...the IE download deflates files, but then my IE 3.0 or whatever it is, remains unchanged. I've tried installing 98se the laptop, but the installer locks up, or if I use the touchpoint it locks up...Ideas? other that switching ISPs?

Comments

• if it locks up because u use the touchpoint then its probably a hardware problem
  • Is it absolutely neccisary to install the ISPs software? 9 times out of 10 you can juse set it up manually.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Is it absolutely neccisary to install the ISPs software? 9 times out of 10 you can juse set it up manually.

-Q

anyone know how to do that with nz.

i think with isp's like people pc u have to use thier software, just like nz and juno.
  • Q wrote:
    Is it absolutely neccisary to install the ISPs software? 9 times out of 10 you can juse set it up manually.

-Q
    Don't think so. I never needed to use that too...
  • Using the ISP's software will just slow the system down. Use Windows Dial-up Networking if its possible...
  • CDs from ISPs? What do you mean?
  • There is not such shit in Russia but I'll try to explain...
    ISPs burn CDs with their software, that is used to set up a connection, without any problems...
    Exactly I dunno what problems can be with Windows Dial-up Networking...
    That ISP CDs are good for n00bs.

Well, Nemo, isn't it crazy that I am trying to explain it in English... Give me a telephone call... and I'll explain it in Russian :)
  • I'll try to set it up with DUN...thanks for the tips.
  • ok can someone tell me how to configure PPP properties in 98se? I found a peoplepc disc at the local computer renaissance. And it won't fully connect because it says no PPP protocol defined....ideas and suggestions are appreciated :)
  • It's been ages since I used W98... Is there a DUN in 98SE, or is it in Netwk Neighborhood?

-Q
  • I keep getting an error 720, or PPP protocols not defined. I tried Bellsouth, Netzero, and peoplepc. Basically the same results. Ideas?
  • Reinstall Windows? :-|
  • Isint there a DUN update package, try installing that before you reinstall windows.

Whether you installed something like that or not install it again something may be fucked.
  • try windows update.....
  • it ended up the modem was bad on the laptop. I plugged in a PCMCIA modem and worked fine....
  • Opps! Well good that it's been fixed. Sorry too that were were of no seeming help either in this ::oops:

-Q
  • ::oops: ive just realised i sed to check windows update, and he cant connect, duh! lol