I'm going 2000

RNRN
edited November 2004 in Software
Yes.... I'm now going to switch from XP to 2000! Bleh. Fish was right... XP would run crappy on my shitty machine.... So... I guess I'm gonna be in the 2000 club now :\.

Comments

• No, hes NOT changing a P4 to 2000, hes on a 300MHz / 96MB.. which is definately not enough to comfortably run XP :-|
  • I run XP semi-comfortably right now. LOL Just not enough to run StarCraft or... Trillian.... or :eek: EVEN FFX! Yes sirs and madam... I'm using IE 6!
  • Yarr, if I ever was given a P4 I'd have 2000 on it. However I think you'll be happy in 5O.

-Q

PS. That reminds me...I can't...
  • No, hes NOT changing a P4 to 2000, hes on a 300MHz / 96MB.. which is definately not enough to comfortably run XP :-|

:::chokes:::

:::colapses on floor:::

What was Roger thinking by running XP on that slow machine?
  • err.... i ran XP on a 400MHz with 128MB ram....
  • Nemo ran XP on 32Megs of RAM/P-133... and it worked good in safe mode.
  • XP ran well on my 300mhz. But I think I'll stick with 2000.
  • I'd use 2000 for any older system. I'd use 2000 on a pentium 4 that doesn't have hyper threading (as it doesn't support it), but XP for a system that does have HT.
  • FishNET upgraded a friends 800MHz / 128MB to 2000 Pro from ME!
  • Ive just installed Windows 2000 on another computer of mine. Its vert stable yes but is it just me or is Windows 2000 very boring in terms of an operating system. With XP we have the eye candy themes and the welcome screen which livens things up a bit but in 2000 it all seems a bit normal. Just my weird observation.

Richard
  • I went from XP PRO to 2000 PRO on the 500mhz/384mb, and then back to XP HOME on the P-M 1.5ghz/512mb.

XP is lightning fast on a fast machine, and slow on an older machine. On a slower machine, XP gets jammed up after using it a month or so.
  • With XP we have the eye candy themes and the welcome screen which livens things up a bit but in 2000 it all seems a bit normal.

i turn all that shit off
  • BOD wrote:
    i turn all that shit off

Fair Enough. I understand its not to everyones tastes. But I happen to like the XP Luna Theme and The Welcome Screen. But I can understand on a slower machine that it can be a resource hog.

Richard
  • it didnt make any difference on my laptop, but i dont like the way that XP tries to do everything for you by default
  • -_- 2000 has crashed on me several times now...
  • What would make 2000 crash? Did you turn off services that shouldn't be? Have you checked the event log? What errors do you get?
  • the only times ive managed to get 2000 to crash is when i had a damaged disk and tried to load a driver off of it
  • FishNET upgraded a friends 800MHz / 128MB to 2000 Pro from ME!

XP pro would run fine on that.

WEll, 2k is allways a good choice.
  • BOD wrote:
    i turn all that shit off

Fair Enough. I understand its not to everyones tastes. But I happen to like the XP Luna Theme and The Welcome Screen. But I can understand on a slower machine that it can be a resource hog.

Richard

I like luna. I semi like the welcome screen, while i prefer the old style 2k login dialogs, the welcome screen is ok cuz im too lazy to turn it off.
  • I default to 2000ishness in XP. For me 2000 was the epitome of seriousness in an MS OS: stable, down to Earth, functional, and reliable. XP for me has some improvements in the OS itself, but goes downhill in the shell.

-Q
  • XP shell crashes too much on me.
  • yeah the XP shell crashed a little too mcuh for me....
  • Funny. I have not had a single crash in Windows XP. Guess im just lucky and have my computer tuned nicely. (woot)

Richard
  • when u upgrade from 95 to 98 to 2000 to XP, you get "problems"......
  • XP is pretty good to me as far as stability, but I've still had it go South on me a few times (EG. Explorer freezes for no reason, have to FQ).

-Q
  • Funny. I have not had a single crash in Windows XP. Guess im just lucky and have my computer tuned nicely. (woot)

Richard
    Ever watch the start menu and desktop dissapear even for a brief moment? Guess what, that's explorer crashing.
  • Ever watch the start menu and desktop dissapear even for a brief moment? Guess what, that's explorer crashing.

Nope actually now i come to think of it havent seen that at all.

Hmmmm

Richard
  • I can't seriously believe that your OS has NEVER crashedup on you. The odds are large.

-Q
  • even a freshly installed winXP on my parents system craps out once in a while
  • 2000 crashed on me because I tried playing an MP3 file.