Windows XP SP2

edited October 2004 in Software
Hi Everyone! I've just installed the new Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and it SUCKS!!! It took 3 hours just to backup the files, then another hour to copy the new files, even on a Duron 900 Mhz! Now, when I rebooted, it is as slow as hell. All my apps take 3 times aslong to startup, and whenever I go to ANY site, it tells me there is a security threat and that I shoud exit the site. when I installed it it makes damn sure that you have Anti-Virus and Internet Security software, or if you dont have any basiclly, it wont let you start your computer! I made sure that i removed the service pack 2 before I did anything else. I just wanted to know where people stand for the Service Pack 2. I now will make sure I will turn the Automatic Updates off for good.

Comments

• dude, id do something about your comp, mine installed it faster than that

PS its alright i spose
  • You can kill the Security Center easily, just stop the service. And also I'd use Mozilla Firefox, t0ns more secure then IE even with SP2 and wont give you those "Security Alerts".

-Q

PS. *Moved to Windows Talk* (SP2 is Windows is an OS, not an App)
  • i got rid of it cos shareaza wouldnt connect
  • That's a standing complaint I have with it. I had to hack up my TCPIP.SYS to get it to work.

-Q
  • i would do that, but its a lot of hassle to fix wen u dont have a cd drive. besides i like 2000 better
  • I for one think SP2 is great. So great ive slipstreamed it into my windows disk.

Havent had one problem with it.

Richard
  • I have installed it on the laptop without any problems (legal Windows XP version). The Wireless LAN support is GREAT! It's much better than the old one. It didnt detect my NAV2004 (legal version as well :) ) so i turned that option off. I hacked TCPIP.sys and all my p2p software works. I didnt notice any slowdown, and it installed in about 30 minutes.

I voted for "it's OK" because it doesnt detect NAV, and the firewall can be annoying.
  • If you've looked at my SigX, you'll notice I have no service packs. Really, what's the point of installing them?
  • yeah, it updates the icon for wireless connections....
  • I like what they did to IE... but its OK.
  • Get a better computer, my 1200MHz / 640MB installed SP2 in what... 20 minutes total?

I disabled the security center real fast... its like "Security Center Service"

My p2p appz connect, cause I use a hacked TCPIP.sys that allows 512 incomplete connections.
  • NTL, I installed XP SP2 in like no time. A 900MHz Duron might explain a lot... You must also have a very cluttered hard drive for it to take so long to backup everything. You should have defragmented beforehand. And yes, like the others have said, you can easily tell it to shut up and bow down before you (or at least stop it from crying about av/firewall/autoupdates). As for IE telling you the site isn't safe.... USE FIREFOX. And the TCP/IP issue, there are quite a few patches with which to change that 10 connection limit (I think I'm at 50 now).
  • Someone has problems with their comp. XP SP2 installed in like 15 minutes on a 500 MHZ 192 MB of ram.

So do not be like other bastards and blame your problems on the OS, when it is actually something else
  • James Babb wrote:
    So do not be like other bastards and blame your problems on the OS, when it is actually something else

other bastards like you?
  • (Do NOT respond to the above 2 posts! Babb has been banned and talking to him will just screw up the topic!)

http://www.lvllord.de/ You can easily achieve a TCPIP.SYS patcher there.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Your processor speed has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you can back up files.

If your hard drive is shit (or running in PIO), then blame the hard drive.

Yep, I wondered why mine had been running so poorly, I noticed it was in PIO lol, I changed to the ATA100 Primary connector, and its in UDMA5 now :D
  • mines running in udma, dunno what one tho....
  • Whats this TCIP.SYS hacked file you speak of? What should I change in it?
  • Whats this TCIP.SYS hacked file you speak of? What should I change in it?

Cause the non-hacked one makes filesharing programs work bad.
  • They don't allow more then 10 simultaneous connexions @ once per program (Or something to that effect), which can give P2P apps bad performance. You can acheive a patcher @ the site I listed a few posts up.

-Q
  • well what do i change in it to successfully have more then 10 incoming connections?
  • Get the patch, run it, and when it asks tell it the number you want. Fish has 512, I have 65536 (or 5, I don't remember exacly, I think it's 6, but I might've miscalculated @ the time).

-Q
  • where can i get the patch? more info plz
  • Scroll up a few posts/pages, right after Babbs post (The one with the Bush parody avatar in it).

-Q
  • SP2 is not so good, but not so bad either... I thought it to be very ugly....
    Even Nemo, the founder of AntiXP coalition liked that...
  • once you turn off the annoying crap and hack TPCIP.sys then its ok.

and i got a free SP2 disk (bounce)