Linux Sucks....a short [s]story[/s] article by James Babb

13»

Comments

• I managed to get Samba running OK on my server. If you have trouble configuring it, try SWAT, its a useful tool. It just needs to be enabled in /etc/inetd.conf.
  • I did, but when I compliled it with --confdir=/usr/local/etc it didnt put the file there, it put it in /usr/local/libdata or something stupid like that, and I don't need it, I just use FTP...
  • Fuck Samba, fuck Windows file sharing. I use FTP, bitch.
  • Jesus Christ, this dude needs to learn how to write posts in correct sentances.

It's....all.......fuck....up...this...this. Plus, it's three "...", only three periods. Not 8.

You should learn how to type in complete sentances like this, mmkay? It makes reading alot easier and make you look less like an idiot.
  • a lot is two words :P
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Like when you have a laptop with no CD drive.
  • Windows File Sharing is good for running and accessing files remotely without copying them to your local drive.
  • Meh. i need to send files to and from my server. FTP works perfectly for that, plus, I could never get this machine to connect to Samba.
  • *cough* Linux *cough*
  • The underlying OS isn't supposed to matter with Samba. And it didn't.
  • Him using Linux is a sign of his incompetence though. LOL
  • Tomchu wrote:
    WFS is useful for when I need to do web development, and I don't want to follow the stupid process of connect --> find --> download --> open --> edit --> save --> delete old --> reupload. I just open --> edit --> save, edit --> save, edit --> save. You get the point.
    True, that is much easier, but I hand-code my HTML in vi on the server itself.
    Tomchu wrote:
    Steve: No, more like his incompetence. :P
    Er...incompetence? Sure, I didn't RTFM the first time I tried FreeBSD, but there's nothing stopping me from actually reading TFM next time around.
  • Meh. I use vi. elvis, to be exact. Even nano/pico is strange to me. And emacs is a piece of shit. Nobody needs a 22 meg editor.
  • I'm a simpleton, so I sue EE, but when coding my website etc, I use Notepad++. Its an invaluable tool, with many enhanced features.
  • Oh yeah, ee is pretty good though. Nothing will ever match up to vi. Hell, when I'm using DOS edit, i'll find myself trying to type <esc>:wq...there's a DOS version of elvis right?

Oh, and there's a vi plugin for Emacs. LOL
  • I actually like emacs. Depends on what I'm doing, Emacs can be bloated, yes.

If I'm doing simple quick & dirty like a webpage / simple php script, I'll use vim hands down.

If I'm doing something big, like a game or something, I'll use Emacs purely because that can grow frustrating at times and I have plenty of things to goof off with --- like Tetris.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    The underlying OS isn't supposed to matter with Samba. And it didn't.

But it does. Are you trying to tell me that you can run Samba on Win32? Mac OS 9? DOS? Minix? Nuh uh.

doesnt Windows use NFS...correct me if I be wrong....
  • Tomchu wrote:
    WFS is useful for when I need to do web development, and I don't want to follow the stupid process of connect --> find --> download --> open --> edit --> save --> delete old --> reupload. I just open --> edit --> save, edit --> save, edit --> save. You get the point.

Steve: No, more like his incompetence. :P

Or you could do what I do and have dreamwaver set up to connect to an FTP server, Crimson editor can do this as well I think
  • Sorry everyone.......

I be nice now.