Which version of DOS is your favorite?

edited February 2007 in Software
Which version of DOS does everyone like the best? I personally like
DOS 6 the best cause it comes with dosshell. Nice little GUI. :cool:

Comments

• 6.22/6.20!

-Q
  • I will admit though, that I like 6.22 cause of the enhancements it has over 6
  • 6.2 is really all you need.

-Q
  • Personally, 6.22 with just the bare shit like command.com, CD-ROM drivers, defrag, etc
  • 6.22 bare = 6.2 bare

-Q
  • FreeDOS!
  • The Toshiba verson of DOS 6.22. It came with so many extras!
  • PC DOS 2000
  • I like Dos 6.22 with the supplimental tools update (this is what gives the dos shell and various other things) Dos Shell was originally included with 5.x and was left out, that is why you need this update. Also wasn't dos 6.22 the first one with drivespcae? Because in the other ones Doublespace was removed due to some legal mumbo jumbo?
  • Yep

Double space got sued LOL

So they came back with Drive Space.

I think 6.21 had niether
  • 6.2 has DoubleSpace, 6.21 didn't have anything, 6.22 had DriveSpace.

-Q

PS. And ofcourse, FDOS! I wish I still had the Toshiba 3.11 disks...
  • Q wrote:
    6.2 has DoubleSpace, 6.21 didn't have anything, 6.22 had DriveSpace.

and i never cared for any of those. i hate all disk compression tools.
  • Yea, that's why 6.2 is really the same as 6.22 if are don't use that stuff.

-Q
  • Me niether, it actually makes the disk run a bit slower
  • IBM PCDOS 7.0 or DOS 6.22
  • My favourite is DOS 4.01 I dont know why.
  • FreeDOS, as long as you use a different CD driver. (the one provided is very buggy, caused my test PC to hang every time) I recommend CD1.SYS from the 98 bootdisk, and use the version of SHSUCDX from Techw0rm. The transfer rate seems to be better than MSCDEX.
    Alas, I've yet to find a CD driver that will transfer at the full speed of the drive - my test system has a 16x (2400k/sec) drive, and by my calculations, the Win95 setup files should take about 34 seconds to copy - yet it takes 3-4 minutes.
  • FreeDos sucks! I'd better use Linux's command prompt or just MS-DOS!
  • havent tried freedos but it looks like total crap!
  • FreeDOS "owns" all! Admittadly[sic] it's still a Alpha/Beta but it's almost there...!

-Q
  • MS-DOS 6.22 with the subliment pack is da bomb. Although I like Dr-DOS and Open-DOS way better
  • But I have DOS 6.2 and it I can't find a fucking way to run the shell! In the manual for v. 6 it says "C:\>dosshell", but never in hell that will work!!!!!!!!!
  • Try:

cd\dos <Return>

doshell <Return>

-Q
  • some versions of dos 6.2 didnt come with dosshell
  • Hmm, you'd know more then I would there, as I always used Windows 3.1 (I know I know (fail)).

-Q
  • i think it was dos 6.2 and 6.22 that didnt have dosshell, but the supplemetary disk added it
  • Ah! That would make sense, as I only used the 3 Install disks.

-Q
  • yep i thought so
    What's New in MS-DOS 6.2?

Welcome to Microsoft MS-DOS, the most widely used operating system for personal computers. MS-DOS 6.2 improves on the safety and ease of use provided by MS-DOS 6. The rest of this topic describes features new to MS-DOS 6.2. For information about features included in both MS-DOS 6 and MS-DOS 6.2, see the Welcome chapter of the MS-DOS 6 User's Guide.

DOSSHELL moved to supplemental disk.
  • Yea that explains it all. OK, count me uninformed as to MS-DOS install file locations and undoubtedly other things.

-Q
  • But the strange is that I've got Ms-DOS 6.2 on 4 disks, but the install only uses 3 of them... Odd...
    Gotta see what's on that disk...