Windows 2000 Modernization Tips

124»

Comments

• edited August 4

Thanks, almost everything is working now. I just need to figure out why SSL breaks when I try to use Outlook with my e-mail. Or I need to find a new e-mail client. Thunderbird sucks.

Rebooting seems to temporarily bring back SSL, until I launch Outlook again. IE shows cipher strength at 0-bit when broken.

• edited August 4

I've also had some minor SSL-related issues with the latest extended kernel; VMware Workstation 6.5 wouldn't install unless I deleted the openssl executable in the temporary setup folder at the start of the installation.

Did you select XP-compatible winsock when installing the kernel (which I didn't)?

And if you want to try a new email client, look no further than MailNews, maintained by roytam1 of New Moon fame:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-fork-targetting-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1168677

• edited August 15

2000 on Ivy Bridge x230t.
    Certainly not the newest hardware one's tried to install 2k on, but it certainly was trying.

But there's a problem. After installing Extended Core and booting the system with halacpi and ntkrnlpa (turn on acpi), the system blue screens with 0x7b. Booting with Standard PC files, it works.

What did I do wrong? Assume I followed the tutorial.

EDIT: Hyperthreading off. Multiprocessing on. HDD legacy mode.

• What version of Extended Core are you using? The latest is v16.

• edited August 15

Some newer UEFI firmware doesn't like Windows 2000 running with ACPI or even just the SMP kernel, but it doesn't usually take the extended core to cause problems; any possible issues would usually manifest themselves during the initial setup though.

Given that it is a 0x7b BSOD, you should try to slipstream blackwingcat's IMSM 7.6 storage drivers (http://w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wlu.htm) which only need SP4 UR1/USP 5.1 to work.

• edited August 15

Meh, reran setup with SP4 slipstreamed. This time around setup loaded when I selected "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC." So I blame using the files off my d600's OEM disc. It only comes equipped with SP2, so I installed SP4 after Win2k was setup. Clearly a no-go for ACPI, since I had to use Standard PC to set it up.
    Installed everything else like normal, then fidgeted with hal, because even though I installed Extended Core 16a by running the setup exe as instructed, SFP kept being a meanie and didn't let the correct version get installed.
    In addition, the Intel chipset usb drivers don't work (all the other chipset drivers do). But the generics included with Windows 2000 SP4 work after applying all the modifications and tweaks. The digitizer and finger touch even work out of the box (after configuring USB), but the pen doesn't offer the full 256 pressure levels. I should try to install the Wacom drivers for Xp and see how it goes.
    So in the end, it was the fact it (the install) wasn't configured for ACPI. Most likely some other files were missing and the kernel defaulted to 0x7b since it couldn't find them, and they were hardcoded kernel files, so it assumed it couldn't access the boot drive as a result. Just my guess.

Lenovo X230t, meet Windows 2000. The only Windows OS other than NT4 or Win95 capable of driving the HR6000 with RasterPlus95. At long last I can retire the D600 w/ NT4. At least for this purpose.

If only I could get multiprocessor ACPI working and PAE that would be great. But they hang so...

This was a pleasant way to use a day off.

Anyone know if there's an update on status of Photoshop CS6 with 2k?

• @yourepicfailure said:
    Anyone know if there's an update on status of Photoshop CS6 with 2k?

Yes, blackwingcat and I tried Illustrator (and also Photoshop) CS6, and found that the crash was the result of it calling int3. The only way to run it is through a debugger.

• Hmmm, I guess taking a detour through windbg may be the only way then.
    That's all I guess?

• edited August 15

Turns out I wasn't exactly right. Since it has been 5 months, I reinstalled my copy of CS6 Extended as a refresher.

I had to use English (U.S.), because installed as English (International) would complain about system requirements even if the OS identified as W7. Then it worked, without any debugger. Illustrator may be different, but again I think i tested them with v2.9i as opposed to the current v3.0b.

Bridge doesn't really work though. And identifying as W7/using registry hack to enable GPU acceleration makes some things like open interactions and UI elements kinda clunky.

• edited August 15

I don't do 3D stuff in Photoshop (I have dedicated programs for that) and half the time (more like 99.99%) I don't use bridge, I drag and drop what I want and Camera Raw does it faster than bridge.

This is the first time I've done this "extending." So n00b question, how would I make it "identify as windows 7?" Apologies if it's actually something obvious.

• edited August 15

Use fcwin2k, select the photoshop executable, select "osver" from drop-down menu, then "compatsave".

Or use NNN4NT5 to trick all of the present software. It's good for bootstrapped installers.

• @win32 said:
    Turns out I wasn't exactly right. Since it has been 5 months, I reinstalled my copy of CS6 Extended as a refresher.

I had to use English (U.S.), because installed as English (International) would complain about system requirements even if the OS identified as W7. Then it worked, without any debugger. Illustrator may be different, but again I think i tested them with v2.9i as opposed to the current v3.0b.

Bridge doesn't really work though. And identifying as W7/using registry hack to enable GPU acceleration makes some things like open interactions and UI elements kinda clunky.

What's the browser with the snake icon?

• Serpent, a fork of Basilisk which is forked off and looks very similar to Firefox 52.

It is maintained by roytam1, who also maintains New Moon.