KOS

Comments

• *NEWBIE*

I'm on that Write your own OS tutorial trying to do lesson 4. The only problem is that my floppy has the remnants of previous lessons on it. How do I clear my bootsector? I tried formatting and when it boots it says "NTLDR is missing"! Help! Thanx!

-Q
  • open up dos prompt and type "format a: MBR" or something like that...
  • Q wrote:
    *NEWBIE*

I'm on that Write your own OS tutorial trying to do lesson 4. The only problem is that my floppy has the remnants of previous lessons on it. How do I clear my bootsector? I tried formatting and when it boots it says "NTLDR is missing"! Help! Thanx!

-Q

Goto the command prompt and type

debug

Then in debug type:

n [name of compiled file here]

[Enter]

l 0

[Enter]

w 0 0 0 1

This will write your new code to the bootsector and erase the old.
  • Grr! Then why's the old stuff still there!?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    *NEWBIE*

-Q

wow! something that Q doesnt know.
  • Yes there's quite alot I don't know

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Grr! Then why's the old stuff still there!?

-Q

First make sure your file is 512 bytes exact.

Second if you are still having problems use COPYBOOT.EXE form the k os zip file.

Usage: COPYBOOT name of file sector

In your case you would want the sector to be 0.

Example: COPYBOOT boot.bin 0

Hope that helps...
  • ::roll: I was using l not w ::roll:

-Q
  • Question: What are the licensing terms of the src/bin?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Question: What are the licensing terms of the src/bin?

-Q

opensource duh, since he posted the source.
  • Q wrote:
    Question: What are the licensing terms of the src/bin?

-Q

Open source.
  • Wow! Someone is still using Debug.Exe even in these days!!! You have surprised me.
  • Yea but WHAT OpnSrc? There are like 50+ opnsrc licensces...

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Yea but WHAT OpnSrc? There are like 50+ opnsrc licensces...

-Q

The MIT License
    wrote:
    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE."
  • =UPDATE=

There's been a slight delay and K OS - mile stone 2 has been pushed down to Friday on the release date.
  • ==UPDATE==

SourceForge site added:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kos57206/
    If you would like to become part of the project contact me.
    No expirence needed!

Jobs Available:
    -VGA driver creation*
    -Setup Program Creation**
    -Application Devlopment*
    -Tester
    -Other Driver Creation*
    -What else needs to be done
    -Help file writter
    +++++++++++++++++++
    *Needs some skill in ASM.
    **Needs skill in MS-DOS batch script, C, or some other language to make a setup program.
    +++++++++++++++++++
    If you don't want to do any of those, become part of the team any way, so your name is put in the credits.[/list]
  • w00t w00t i was gonna post something about getting a source forge page but i didnt think ud want to, but anyway kewl.

i can help with some stuff. id probly wanna be a beta tester and do some other stuff that needs to be done since i dont know any asm.
  • I know little ASM, and might do something... I seem to have good coordination skills... I don't know...

-Q
  • Well, I could also be a tester or a help file writer. (I just need to look at some pro help files first.
  • I'm thinking about the application devleopment and the VGA drivers job....

I'm thinking about it though.
  • =ATTENTION=

Anyone that wants to become part of the team must have a sourceforge account. Then e-mail, PM, or aim me your unix account name and you will be part of the team.

If you do not want to be part of the team, that is fine.

You may still download the releases of K OS.
  • =UPDATE=

New release of K OS available. Get it at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kos57206/

Changes:
    -Now loads kernel from file
    -Now allows you to echo keys. Press CTRL+G to hear system beep.
    -Now can shutdown OS from Task manager. Press CTRL+S to view task manager. None of the other features work,
    -No FAT 12 support in Kernel yet (working on that)
  • If you would like to install K OS on a USB flash drive or other devices, than a floppy disk, the easiest thing to do is format that drive under WinNT and rename kernel.com to ntldr and copy it to the drive.

Tell me if this works. :)
  • Well I'm thinking of using protected mode (allows 32 bit addressing, no segmented addresses, no BIOS functions) in my OS.

What do you guys think?
  • Offer both!

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Offer both!

-Q

Good idea. Boot menu in the begining offering wheter to run in Real Mode or Pmode
  • Choice 4 all! No ughlyhole pointless restricions on functionality!

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Choice 4 all! No ughlyhole pointless restricions on functionality!

-Q

Wouldn't that be 'unreal' mode, if I believe correctly?

Anyway my idea is to have 3 choices at the moment. (Real mode kernel, Pmode kernel, MS-DOS (uses boot.bin a copy of the dos boot sector).) You can also reboot by pressing the magic CTRL+S key.
  • =UPDATE=

I am going to write the 80386 version of K OS in C. It will have support for ASM and C apps.

The 8086 version will remain the same as it is for the time until the other version catches up and I figuer out how to use the FAT12 FS in K OS for read.
  • you know, im going to bring back this topic.
    im bored right now and i need something to do so,
    im going to help you out with fat and vga support. (maybe a good command line and an interface while im at it.)wish me luck.