AIM going South...

QQ
edited September 2004 in Software
Evidently they're coming out with AIM 5.9, with huge new Windows, Java looking menubars, and PAYMENT REQUESTED!!! OMG!

Fish will post info

-Q

Comments

• WHOLEY SHIT! Nooo!!! Eh... I'll stick with 4.8 or DarkAIM.
  • Maybe it's better to use Trillian?
  • I don't know if it's a change to use AIM, or the AIM service, if it's the former, then DarkAIM or Tril for me! If the latter, the AIMs gonn have maybe 50 users my 2005.

-Q
  • I always knew AIM was going south once it crossed the 5.x version. In 5.0 they changed the AIM layout...I LOVED AIM 4.8. It had to tabs for "Online" and "Buddy List" which made it so much easier to add and delete people. Plus now AIM is turning in to AOL...its getting so bulky. I use DeadAIM 4.5 and its so much better.

Charging people? Do you want to know why? Major corporations and businesses are starting to use IM clients to talk to people across large networks. AOL could make so much money by charging corporations then letting it be free. So there won't be like "50" people using it...it'll still be a large number of users but its gonna drop drastically.

This is what I want AIM to do...

- Increase the profile length. Find a way to make profiles NOT HTML. Allow more chracters and allow images in there. Many people I know hate how the profiles are so short. Listen to the people.

- Decrease the ads...this is a little tricky since the Ads allow AIM to be free. But minimize them a little bit.

- Stop bulking it up. It's just going to start to turn into a memory hog like AOL. Just keep it slim and easy. Also, don't charge AIM member for skins. Have a decent selection.

- Have tabbing abilitys. The bigger the IM windows, the bigger pain in the ass it is for me. Sometimes I talk to up to 7 people at the same time so Tabbing is such a great thing. I dont need 7 or so big IM windows blocking my desktop.

- Go back to the slim AIM 4.8 style. Have the two tabs above your buddy list "Online" and "Buddy List".

- Get rid of the "rate limit". I'm a fast typer and I don't need to be held back by a freakin "rate limit". Enable it only for warnings.

- Delete older AIM screennames that aren't used anymore. I think AOL is already doing this. Its in the EULA in AIM 5.5. I think its either 60 or 90days if you dont sign on, your screenname is terminated.

Like I said before, listen to the people. I know many people who like AIM but majorly hate AOL like myself. Have a poll on what new features AIM users would like to have.
  • well i wont mind i only use aim to talk to fish and Q...
  • i definatly care though, I use AIM everyday, all the time. Before I got my cell phone it was my daily method of communication that was free and stuff. I hate using my house phone since theres no privacy and my cell phone costs money during the day. Also my away message serves as an answering machine so it was fine with me.
  • id use AIM more but evryone over here used MSN....
  • If AIm goes south [alot more] I will just use Yahoo's service
  • I still like trillian better, only thing i miss with it is dc and ill bring up aim 5.2 for that. im not gonna get a newer version of aim ever.
  • Did someone say 'PAYMENT REQUIRED'? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

'HUGE NEW WINDOWS'
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

What about the old version I have now? Will they make me upgrade?
  • What about the old version I have now? Will they make me upgrade?

if they stay where they are now regarding upgrading its optional. but they may force u to upgrade in further time.
  • Right now occasionally they'll bug me to upgrade, I just say 'Do Not Upgrade' and it frowns and leaves me alone.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Right now occasionally they'll bug me to upgrade, I just say 'Do Not Upgrade' and it frowns and leaves me alone.

-Q

but if they got something in 5.9 that is gonna get them some big moeny they will probly force u to upgrade, lets just hope it doesnt come to that.
  • I guess AOL's client will do that, but what if they charge for all screennames! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I hope that AIM doesn't come to that.
  • oh dear....
  • i dont like aim but everyones using it (all im services seem to suck now ) as for the price, SEE YA LATER AOHELL!
  • AOHELL

great name for them....
  • There are a number of slags for that company of uncertain virtue.

-Q
  • yeah my favorite is america offline.
  • AO Dell.....
  • Always OffLine, Always OuttaLine, Always OuttaLuck, etc, etc...

-Q
  • we once had aol for a bout a month or so and IT SUCKED! 20 min just to visit a page off their network, not to mention all the BS that comes with it, and always being disconnected. (strangely they wanted a credit card # to charge the bill onto.)
  • yeah like that here first piece of personal info they want after installing thier "free trial" is a card #
  • BOD wrote:
    yeah like that here first piece of personal info they want after installing thier "free trial" is a card #
    we dropped them after they wanted the bill paid on a credit card and went with our phone company for internet. i could go cable here but im not paying 75$ a month!
  • the price of broadband here is astronomical.....
  • QQ
    edited August 2004
    Maybe your 'small country' isn't so good after all!

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    the price of broadband here is astronomical.....
    that was the price of cable internet (BS runner) from time Crapper (an aohell company) Cable (with their cable tv service ) you cant get cable internet alone here. You have to get their tv service. we have Crapcast here too but it is just as much. and both cable companies have been caught here taking axes to satlite dishes on people's lawn. thats why i will not get cable of anykind. ill just stick with dialup until microsoft does something where dialup users cant do anything.
  • If you really think about it, it's not that bad actually. First off, you will still be able to use AIM for free and all those other skin, icon features are subscription only. Now how many of you here really use that shit? I don't and I'm sure you can continue to use your own icon (like I do). You do not need a bloated AIM and having a bloated AIM is a waste of money. So don't fret everyone.

Plus, I know I got Trillian watchin my back if AIM does start to charge users to use the client program itself.
  • Admittadly it's not a huge change, but it's still a worrying trend.

-Q