Windows 11

Some people are still speculating that Windows 11 may actually happen

Comments

• Given that Apple is going to "11", of course Microsoft is going to follow.

I can only wonder what they will use this as an excuse to bork or take away from us this time. Not that I really want to know. It would probably be safer for me to just keep typing away on Windows 95 and XP.
  • If it's going to be a big massive change to 10, it'll still stink like 10. I'm perfectly happy with using Windows 7 thanks very much.
  • Apple already went to 11. The new release that's coming out is going to be 12 it looks like.
    As for Windows... There was rumor at one point of them just dropping the number and just calling it Windows. I could definitely see them doing that since they're really using the YYHx format for their version numbers anyway.
  • A screenshot of Windows 11 has been unveiled.

So far, it looks nice... and you don't see Candy Crush or any advertising on the Start Menu whatsoever.
  • That looks better than the other screenshot I've seen leaked.
  • I took it for a test drive yesterday. I know it's still a development release and things could change before it debuts, but it seems to be Windows 10 with some UI changes. It even accepts Windows 10 licenses. The centered taskbar buttons can be changed so that they are on the left, but I didn't see a way to make the taskbar smaller, like I prefer it to be. There was also no way to enable proper labels for running applications - it only shows the icons. I'm hoping they bring back these features in a later build.

Other than the visual refreshes, so far it's very much just Windows 10. You STILL have to keep it disconnected from the Internet when you set it up, otherwise it will force you into creating a Microsoft account to use it.
  • You STILL have to keep it disconnected from the Internet when you set it up, otherwise it will force you into creating a Microsoft account to use it.

No, you don't. That's not the case with Windows 10 and it doesn't look like that's the case with Windows 11 either:

It all certainly looks more plausible, but Microsoft has a history of making big UI changes with developer builds that wind up getting reverted. So I'll try to reserve final judgement until we get an actual release.
  • This is obviously fake. Microsoft has stated that windows 10 will be the last OS to ever exist.
  • It's certainly possible that it's a fake. But I don't think anyone believed them when they claimed windows 10 would be the last.
    They might decide to drop numbers from the name and go with either just windows or windows next. We'll just have to wait and see what they announce on the 24th.
  • All of the files from the leak have a date of May 30, plus they're all signed by Microsoft, and Microsoft isn't exactly popular for leaking fake Windows ISOs.
  • "Leak" incorrectly suggests that the release was unintentional.
  • Now things get more interesting... Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users may get a free upgrade to the new version > https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-to-11

As long as that won't be nagware like for the 10 upgrade, and that the new version itself won't be a trainwreck upon first release, then I'm cool with it.
  • Hopefully Windows 11 gets rid of most of the regressions of Windows 10 (e.g. unwanted advertisements - namely the monthly Microsoft Account ads for users of local accounts and the MS Edge ads that show up if you use an alternate web browser). Otherwise, I'm switching to Linux by 2023 when Windows 8.1 (the last tolerable Windows version for me) ends support.
  • I've been using it for the past two days, and it's been fine for me. In my experience it's been a bit faster than Windows 10 on the same system (R7 2700, 16GB DDR4, RX 570). Definitely looking forward to the final release.

I do have my doubts about this being unintentional though, especially given some of the things Microsoft has done recently.
  • Microsoft just acknowledged that Windows 11 is real. Microsoft send DMCA people leak Iso files of Windows 11 Beta.