Intel Unix System V 2.x

edited January 2022 in Product Comments
imageIntel Unix System V 2.x

Intel Unix System V was a rather uncommon Unix variant developed and distributed by Intel, for IBM PC compatible hardware. It was considered "plain vanilla" compared to other distributions, adding little beyond AT&T's codebase.

Read the full story here

Comments

• @jonirob How do you do this in 86Box?
  • edited February 2022
    @helloisthispizzahut These are my disks, here's how I did it.

86Box v3.0

Machine Type: i386DX/i486
    Machine: Award 486 Clone
    CPU Type: Intel i486SX
    CPU Speed: 25
    FPU: 487SX
    Memory: 16MB
    Video: Video 7 VGA 1024i (HT208)
    HD Controller: Internal
    FD Controller: Internal
    Hard Disk: 1023 Cylinder, 15 Head, 17 Sector, 127MB IDE Drive on Channel 0:0
    A Drive: 5.25" 1.2M
    B Drive: 3.5" 1.44M

Be sure to go into the machine's BIOS and specify the floppy and hard disk sizes.

Forget exactly which boot disk to go with. Try the ST-506 one first.
  • @Revolution What if the ST-506 one does not work?
  • @helloisthispizzahut These boot floppies provided are for various SCSI hard disk controllers.
    What you can do is use a machine in 86box that supports SCSI.
  • @Missileboi What machine does support SCSI?
  • Then how do I run setup?
  • edited May 2022
    Laugh all you want, but this fother mucker is FIFTY-EIGHT DISKS. Thank god we no longer need to wait on grinding physical drives; but even so this is still a lot of disks to swap out. I've been at this for like 3 hours and I'm just now getting past the device drivers and into the fmli (development?) packages.

Pack a lunch, and maybe dinner too.

Apart from that? Revolution's config recommendation for 86Box seems solid, though I've set it up as a 486DX4/100 not an SX.

Screenshot of my working config: https://gyazo.com/f5ab4f9b396155c30281de7f06e8b767

• It is possible to get some Intel Unix packages such as TCP/IP, debugger, compiler on stock AT&T SysV.
  • I used UltralISO to load the disk01of02 boot file to make an ISO and put it on the virtual machine, only Booting Unxi System appears
  • Working SCSI setup on 86Box...

System:
    Any 386/486 I have tested works (enable dynarec)
    RAM:
    16MB works fine
    Sound card:
    None
    Input:
    P/S2 Mouse
    Network:
    No NIC (haven't got to that part yet though I'm sure its doable)
    Storage Controller:
    HD Controller: None
    SCSI Controller 1: Adaptec AHA-154xCF
    SCSI Settings:
    Address: 0x330
    IRQ: 11
    DMA: 5
    BIOS Address: DC00H
    FDC: None
    Hard Disk: 518mb (1054C 16H 63S)
    Floppy: 1.2mb times 2

Then boot from Disk 1 labelled Adaptec SCSI

Profit
  • Continued from below...

Also forgot to mention, SCSI host adapter must be SCSI ID 7 and LUN 0, first disk must be SCSI ID 0 and second disk (if you want) must be SCSI ID 1. After boot press CTRL+A to open the SCSI config and check the host transfer speed is at 5Mbps (anything else will NOT work). If a second fixed disk is present then Unix will automatically use it as a /home partition.
  • @Missileboi Yes but there really is no need. At the description says, Intel Sys V was stock AT&T Unix, the only difference is the stuff you want so you might as well just run Intel Unix. Also I just found out, this build contains a script that seems to want to install Xenix in some sort of compatibility mode. Haven't actually tested it yet but yeah, if you run 'cat /etc/xinstall' you'll see the script.