Windows XP Requirements :-)

Comments

• O well if it's not XP Pro corp then I don't know.

When it's XP Pro Corp, those 3 digits in the PID have to be -640- or its not a legal key. All the VLKs that MS gave out for XPPC generate -640-, illegal ones are usually -64x-, where x is like 4 or something other then 0.

And besides I don't know how many rubles 2000P costs but I don't think you would easily afford it (Socioeninomic guess, sorry).

-Q
  • Topher wrote:
    thats a fake. no pentium processor is 20mhz. unless it was seriously underclocked.

thats not a fake... this is a pentium overdrive cpu, its underclocked. They have tested 486 will run under XP. I wont be.
    When XP have no work under 20 MHz, the CPU will runs at 66%
  • Well, please tell me how to underclock a CPU if you know! Thanks in advance!
  • It's no fake, see the page to this all:
    http://www.winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini.htm

It was no Overdrive, it was a simple Pentium 60, the old Pentium until the MMX was not locked. you could clock them in the way you want.
  • Slash wrote:
    Well, please tell me how to underclock a CPU if you know! Thanks in advance!

Just set the jumpers, or set the FSB and multiplyers in the BIOS. It works for me.
  • i coudl get my athlon to go at 1250MHz instead of 1667MHz but setting the FSB at 200
  • well I wonder if I can get XP to boot on my 486. I did it on a pentium 166, and fish did it on a 100. At school there is this power PC, and a dos compatibility card kit, but I couldn't get the mac to show anything on the screen. I ebayed the DVI cable that it needed but either the monitor wasn't the right kind, or something in there is dead. I did manage to behold real Dos and windows 3.1 floppies and got my hands on their manuals too, so that was a plus.

I wanted to install 2000 or XP on the powerPC if it was possible. The thing had 32 megs of onboard ram so 2000 would at least start the setup. But some research showed that dos compatibility actually meant dos and no NT.... which really made me want to see what would happen.
  • I'll try that tomorrow.
  • i tried it on a PII 233 but it took too long to install so i gave up
  • Q wrote:
    O well if it's not XP Pro corp then I don't know.

When it's XP Pro Corp, those 3 digits in the PID have to be -640- or its not a legal key. All the VLKs that MS gave out for XPPC generate -640-, illegal ones are usually -64x-, where x is like 4 or something other then 0.

And besides I don't know how many rubles 2000P costs but I don't think you would easily afford it (Socioeninomic guess, sorry).

-Q

I have 640's. (y)
  • BOD wrote:
    i tried it on a PII 233 but it took too long to install so i gave up
    Once I installed it to 486, it took just 3 hours lol to install it... On P233 it should be faster
  • i gave up after 2 hours, i then went to install 2k
  • Uhhh... XP should take about 6 hours on a 100MHz people.
  • yeah, I agree with fish.... you can't have possibly installed it on a 486 in 3 hours.
  • Damn! I've installed it in just 3 hours! Maybe because there was 64MB of RAM on my 486?
  • hrm.... not sure... what speed is your 486?
  • AMD 486 DX4-133MHz.
  • Sigh my Cyrix is only a 120MHz! Wahh! Somehow I think that that might be a fluke...

-Q
  • XP will get installed on a 486 only if you press F5 after the text: "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration"
    And from that list you should choose a kernel for 486 Processor.
    That's the only way how to install XP on 486.
    Note there's no such option in Server 2003.
  • Q wrote:
    Sigh my Cyrix is only a 120MHz! Wahh! Somehow I think that that might be a fluke...

-Q

UGH! I've heard Cyrix chips under perform!
  • Well they aren't that common, so I don't know, however old (Pre K7) AMDs are said to be poor too so I don't know...

-Q
  • They're said to be poor in multimedia tasks.
  • Well I use it as a diagnostic machine for harddrives and the like, so I'm not that concerned with multimedia.

-Q
  • Anyways, old AMDs were just better than old Cyrixes.
  • And Intel CPUs crushed older AMDs and Cyrixes/Via
  • Well, my Cyrix is a DX2, but it thinks it's a DX4/5! So I use it for my diagnostic machine.

-Q
  • Yes... press F5 you say... I have never heard of doing that before. Well since I think I've finished making NT and 2000 behave together on a partition larger then 4 gigs (yes! I did it!, then the VMware mouse drive killed NT.....), I can now see this XP menu you speak of.

hrm....Standard PC with C-step i486.... interesting option.
  • Old AMDs were pretty bad, the pre-K7 like Q said. But I have the feeling Cyrixs are bad too, which is why theres no market for them anymore. But now AMD is far better than any CPU company there is.
  • Yes... press F5 you say... I have never heard of doing that before. Well since I think I've finished making NT and 2000 behave together on a partition larger then 4 gigs (yes! I did it!, then the VMware mouse drive killed NT.....), I can now see this XP menu you speak of.

hrm....Standard PC with C-step i486.... interesting option.

You can also do that without reinstallind XP. When XP is installed, just go to device manager and change driver of "Computer". That's easier way to change the kernel in XP.
    Note you can't do that in NT 4.0.