XP (+SP2) SUCKS A LONG HARD ONE!!!

Comments

• I know the tweak for it... but what the hell... the fact is that M$ set 10 connections by default..
  • That is, like Tom stated, so kiddies with scanners cant get too far with them, because they normally make TONS of connections, but SP2 only lets them do 10. It also slows down worms for the same reason.
  • Slash wrote:
    I know the tweak for it... but what the hell... the fact is that M$ set 10 connections by default..

You obviously can't read. It's 10 simultaneous INCOMPLETE outgoing connections. Do a netstat -a -n, and you'll see a ton of shit. Some will say "ESTABLISHED", some will say "TIME_WAIT". Established connections are not "incomplete" connections. AFAIK, TIME_WAIT are those that are incomplete.
  • Sorry, I've noticed that later .... There are still some problems with my English.
  • Q, how does 2000 work on an A64? I didn't know 2000 would support them...
  • It runs, just doesnt support 64-bit instructions
  • A64s also contain the i386-686 instructionsets, so they can run DOS1 if you so cared.

-Q
  • Yeah, they're backwards compatable
  • Q wrote:
    A64s also contain the i386-686 instructionsets, so they can run DOS1 if you so cared.

-Q

DOS 1.0 wasn't for i386, and therefore won't run on any modern CPUs. The same goes for DOS 2.0, and maybe 3.0. My memory gets fuzzy there.

But yeah, and Athlon 64 will run any i386 code.
  • I thought on A64s you can install only special OS like XP 64bit... So you mean that it will also run 2000 and, even, DOS??
  • If it worked on a i386, 486, 586, or 686, it'll work on A64. How do you think I've used 2000 on it for?

-Q
  • Slash wrote:
    I thought on A64s you can install only special OS like XP 64bit... So you mean that it will also run 2000 and, even, DOS??

Athlon 64s are fully compatible with all i386 code. That is the main reason why it's smart to buy an A64 (both consumers and companies) -- you get to run your current code very fast now, and have full-performance 64-bit when the OSes and apps become mainstream.

You're probably thinking of IA-64/Itanium, which uses its own architecture, and emulates i386.
  • And doesn't it emulate it crapilly, at that?
  • And doesn't it emulate it crapilly, at that?

Yep. As far as I remember, the fastest Itanium performed at about the speed of a Pentium II 266 when emulating x86.
  • And the Intel Xeon... is that Itanium or no? :-?
  • No, it's not, I don't think @least...

-Q
  • The Intel Xeon is basically a MP-enabled, huge-L3-cache version of the Pentium 4.
  • Hmmm... we have them at school... but we've yet to do more than MSWord on them.
  • Hmmm... we have them at school... but we've yet to do more than MSWord on them.

Yeah, I don't think P4s can do much more than that. LOL
  • You might want to downgrade to Notepad to release all that strain LMAO
  • O_o- So they're not going to run engineering apps very well, I suppose?

They do take like 10 minutes to log into the domain... can't blame network... it's GigE, I believe. Must be the DC.
  • Domains are slow anyway......
  • Even at my old school... whose network and everything was crap, the domains didn't take half as long.
  • it depends how many comps there are on the network
  • Well, I dunno, but I'm thinking ~500. Depends on kid's laptops, etc. But probably half of those are macs, which shouldn't be stressing the domain. It's a GigE network here.
  • So what? If they use hubs for everything then it could be fiber 100 and it would probably go slow az anything.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    So what? If they use hubs for everything then it could be fiber 100 and it would probably go slow az anything.

-Q

Depends on how many clients on that hub are pounding the network.
  • If theres TONS of hubs, with no switches, yes it will slow down...

-FishNET
  • Haha, that reminds me ...

I was at a LAN party once, and one of my network-ignorant friends grabbed two hubs and connected them together -- twice. Thirty minutes into the LAN party I'm like "Why the FUCK is our network so damned slow?"

I go over to the hubs, and they're both raping each other madly -- one hub broadcasts to second hub, second hub broadcasts back to first hub. Infinitely. LOL
  • LOL Bet he thought it makes it faster ;-)