The Pro Xp Alliance

Comments

• But no Win16/DOS Wahh!

Well, I'll certainly try it.

-Q
  • You dont use Win16 that often anyway, and you cant in Linux either, plus, you could just use VPC and run 95 in it or something.
  • I suppose...

Trying to get the legal ISO now...

-Q
  • Slash wrote:
    Fish, I think you tuned your XP pretty good, that's the fact, but maybe it is easier to install 2000 and not to do that tuning work?

Windows 2000 was made back when people were using Windows 98 on P1/2s. Therefore, Windows 2000 doesnt support modern processors NEAR as well as XP. XP has built in support for SSE/SSE2, which greatly increse OS speed.... Windows 2000 doesnt get that. XP also has FAR better PnP. And much more user friendly things in the advanced sections like the services management thing.

Strange... Why I haven't noticed that?... I don't mean my PC I mean FrosT's, it's Celeron2200/512 of RAM... Longhorn works better there.
  • Longhorn doesnt run good on ANY system. The requirements for that are going to be like 6GHz / 2GB RAM. Its not even in beta yet. Its not NEAR complete.
  • Ok, I've just installed XP SP1 Pro as my second OS on my 2nd 20Gb HDD... And what do u think? It was pretty fast, yeah, it was... But then I've tried to change the drive letter of drive C:\ to H:\... And XP never booted again... I never got such a problem in 2k...
  • ............you cant just move an OS from one drive to another dude, the boot.ini and everything points to the other drive... of course its not going to work.
  • change your boot.ini to use H: maby
  • change your boot.ini to use H: maby

Uhhhh, have you even seen a boot.ini? Because what you said would NEVER work in a boot.ini.

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Thats my boot.ini. Theres no mention of drive letters ANYWHERE.
  • See where it says partition(1) ?
  • That doesnt say drive letter ANYWHERE. Thats the partition number, NOT the drive letter.
  • I said "tell it to use drive H"

That would mean change boot.ini to use the apropiate drive and partition.
  • You dont just "tell it to use something"... If you want to change Windows's drive, you need to reinstall.
  • You change partition(1) to (2) or whatever. Other then ughly WPA there's nothing to stop you, except lack of boot.ini knowledge.

-Q
  • ............you cant just move an OS from one drive to another dude, the boot.ini and everything points to the other drive... of course its not going to work.
    Hey, u haven't understood. I meant another thing... just to change drive letter of system drive... in Partition Magic... from H: to C:
  • I don't know if you can. I know in Disk Managment you cannot do that for system partitions.

-Q
  • Errr.....Can't you just change the letter back.

Becuase it still is Partition 0 or Partition 1 no matter what letter is it.
  • Yeah when you change the letter it messes up the MBR.
    You can just change it back and it'll work. With Partition
    Magic I always make all my bootable partitions to be C:
    and just hide the other C: partitions except the one I
    want to boot to.
    Thump
  • OK, so XP is unstable huh? We all remember Mr. Clean's 40 days of uptime, but he didnt use that PC near as much as I use mine... Heres my uptime:

6 days, 21 hours, 41 minutes, 49 seconds

You can check it at http://fishnet.no-ip.org:81/status
  • Yeah, I run 2003 on my server and it's about as good as XP.

XP and 2003 are VERY similar stability wise so keep that in consideration.

I got 14 daysnow and no crashs but I don't use it like Fish does.
  • You mean your server that refuses connections?

Good job. (y)
  • No, my old cable modem was crapping out so I just got a new one. So I was out for like 12 hours
  • I've finally installed XP SP1 without any letter changes... wonderfully it works quite good... But why it cannot run my favourite games? Such as Q3 Afterwards... then Unreal 1...
    2000 can...
  • did you try the "Program Compatibility Wizard"?
  • My server has been down for a bit, sorry. I'll work on it later today.
  • Slash wrote:
    I've finally installed XP SP1 without any letter changes... wonderfully it works quite good... But why it cannot run my favourite games? Such as Q3 Afterwards... then Unreal 1...
    2000 can...

Quake III and Unreal Tournament work with no problems at all in XP. I played Quake III for a while last night, and UT is basically the same game.

Uptime: 7 days, 21 hours, 7 minutes, 30 seconds
  • my current uptime is 12 days and 12 hours (using the network connections, the ethernet network one)
  • But WinWDCS is better then all your XPs.

-Q
  • Uptime: 15 days, 1 hours, 41 minutes and 31 seconds

2003 seems to run better than 2000
  • Uptime: 15 days, 1 hours, 41 minutes and 31 seconds

2003 seems to run better than 2000
    Of course, it is... It was designed specially for server use...
    But Linux will be better.