NT WS 4 install problems (resolved, but talk continues)

edited November 2004 in Software
I am having a problem installing Windows NT 4 Workstation. The 1st part of the install goes ok, then I boot from the floppies it told me to make. After getting to the 2nd floppy, the install crashes and up comes a blue screen with a stop code and a memory dump. I don't know how to decipher it, but it has something to do with the ntoskrnl.exe file and others. This is preventing me from installing anything NT - NT Workstation, 2000, and XP. Can someone help me out? Thank you.

Comments

• What is the error message? It'll be in all capitals and have _s between the words. If we knew that we might be able help more.

-Q
  • I think it was something like LIRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (stop code 1A with a bunch of zeros before it)
  • Sorry, forgot to log in...

I think it was something like LIRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (stop code 1A with a bunch of zeros before it)

I think it's a hardware error, but all of my hardware is error free... I ran tests on everything.
  • What kindof a machine are you trying to install NT on? Do any other OSes work on it?

-Q
  • edited November 2004
    The following OSes work on my machine:
    Windows 3.x
    Windows 95 (all versions)
    Windows 98 (all versions)
    Windows ME

The following do not:
    Windows NT
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP

This time I sat at the computer and wrote down the exact message of the error:
    ***STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x801DC4AA, 0x0000000z, 0x00000000)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED*** Address 801dc4aa has base at 8o1d9000 - hal.dll

- Memory Dump here -

As for the type of PC I run, This is what WinME says:
    Computer:
    GenuineIntel
    Intel(r) family 6 model 7 processor
    256.0MB RAM

I have a Sony CD-RW drive, I have a 3.5" floppy drive, I have a 60GB Maxtor HDD split into two 30GB partitions, I have an ATI graphics card, I have a Creative Sound Blaster card, I have an Intel based ethernet card, I have a standard 33600 B modem. I think this is enough information.
  • Alright, what kind of a computer do you have? I mean the specs and such. I have an idea what it is, but I'd like to know more about your setup.

-Q
  • edited November 2004
    As for the type of PC I run, This is what WinME says:
    Computer:
    GenuineIntel
    Intel(r) family 6 model 7 processor
    256.0MB RAM

I have a Sony CD-RW drive, I have a 3.5" floppy drive, I have a 60GB Maxtor HDD split into two 30GB partitions, I have an ATI graphics card, I have a Creative Sound Blaster card, I have an Intel based ethernet card, I have a standard 33600 B modem. I think this is enough information.

If you need it to be more specific, I can go into the Device Manager and pull out more information, but I really don't want to do that.
  • What kind of processor and motherboard do you have in it? The fact that HAL.DLL is causing this problem makes it sound like there's a hardware issue as HAL is the Hardware <> OS (Or is it kernel?) DLL. So if that's going bad in all version of NT that suggests it's the hardware and not Windows.

-Q
  • I don't understand... The motherboard and processors that I have work perfectly. I'm not blaming windows or anything, but I don't want to be stuck with Windows Millenium for the rest of my life.

I'm going to run setup once again with the original provided NT 4 boot disks and CD and see what happens. I'll post again and let you know what's up.
  • It sounds like NT for some reason doesn't like your hardware. If 9x OSes work fine and all NT OSes crashup like that...

Hmm! According to Google, check that you have enough free diskspace, run chkdsk or Scandisk, and see if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard.

-Q
  • Hal.Dll causes an error when you have non standard hardware. Try to disconnect all possible devices (modem, printer, etc) and try again... If not, the problem may be in your BIOS.
  • Yeah, I was thinking a check for bios update. Family 6 model 7, is that a celeron?
  • my celeron is family 6 model 6 so it could be...
  • I think I may have found my problem... My Maxtor MaxBlast software had the hard drive setup for the Windows Millenium OS. Maybe I should change it to Windows 2000? NT? any thoughts?

Also, my brother says that my processor is a Pentium II, not a celeron.
  • my bros is the same, so its probably a PIII
  • What is Maxblast?
  • Slash wrote:
    What is Maxblast?

Its a DOS utility that overrides the computers BIOS so you can use large hard disks in older systems.

Take out the modem and the network card and try again.. This worked with my old K6/2 350mhz with two Compex Readylink ENET cards.
  • I'd try what everyone's advising: disconnected and remove everything that you don't need to install Windows, then if Windows installs, try later to reconnect the devices and have Windows detect them.

-Q
  • Slash wrote:
    What is Maxblast?

Its a DOS utility that overrides the computers BIOS so you can use large hard disks in older systems.

Take out the modem and the network card and try again.. This worked with my old K6/2 350mhz with two Compex Readylink ENET cards.
    Does that utitity work only with Maxtors or with every HDD?
  • It checks to see that the drive your trying to use it on is Maxtor and wont work otherwise, Western Digitals "Data Lifeguard" (With spyware!) does the same...

-Q
  • Oh... I see...
    Anyways a good utility.
    Can I get it off Maxtor site?
  • Maybe, but searching it doesn't seem to turn it up. I can get a copy of it off of the disks that came with my drive, but unless you have a Maxtor disk it's not going to work.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ...or an underclocked CPU... :)
  • Heh... possibly it can. Because when your CPU is underclocked, system may detect its type incorrectly, cause errors, and so on..
  • Well if you underclocked it to like 10MHz and tried to install NT on it I could see some problems occuring, but I don't think he did that.

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    You've either got bad RAM, overclocked RAM, or an overclocked CPU.

It's not the memory... but, what does overclocking RAM and overclocking the CPU mean?
  • changing the frequencies and making the chip(s) go faster than they are clkocked at