NT WS 4 install problems (resolved, but talk continues)

Comments

• Also, is it true that Windows NT will only run on Hard Drive partitions no greater than 8.4 GB? could this be a problem also?

Also, I flashed my BIOS with the latest version and I reformatted my hard drive using the maxblast software. Same setup - 60GB hdd split into 2 30GB partitions. It still runs with install problems. The same errors.
  • Make a small (<8 GB) partition. It might work. Also, this might be redundant, but check that Maxblast is set for Windows NT.
  • My maxblast software says something similar to this: Windows NT can only run on partitions no grater than 8.4GB of space. If you want partitions greater than this, use Windows NT SP3 or greater....

Only problem is, I only have the original Windows NT 4.0 Workstation disc (made in 96). I don't have a disk for SP3 or greater, so basically, I'm screwed. Anyway, I'll run Windows 98 until I get a chance to remodify the partitions.
  • If you have a different Windows machine, you can download Windows NT4 SP6a and "slipstream" it into your original NT4 (Using nLite) to create a NT with SP6 in it from the beginning.

-Q
  • Q, i thought nLite couldnt do NT 4?
  • where can I get nLite?
  • google is your friend, use it, its the 1st link.
  • I am missing one requirement to use nLite: running 2k, xp, or 2003. I can't run these. Could someone help me out and incorporate servicepack 6a into windows nt for me? Thanks
  • i dont think nLite will do NT4. (as in slipstream an actuall disc.)
  • is there any program that will incorporte service pack 6a into the winnt 4 install?
  • I dont think so, i might pick up a cheap winnt 4 with SP6 on ebay and iso it, dunno yet.

OK trainer4, id recommend backing up your data, EVERYTHING you need, then get rid of maxblast, format your drives, install Windows xp. But then DONT install maxblast again, leave that out.

After a lot of googling i see a lot of people have trouble with that software.

If you hdd is an IDE based drive WinXP should handle it with no problem without maxblast and you can get all the space the drive can hold.
  • why not make an 8GB partition, then make the partition tro 30GB after you instlall SP 6a
  • That's what I was thinking. Just get rid of MaxBlast... My HDD is an IDE hard disk. So, should everything work fine?
  • Yup. MaxBlast is completely optional. If you have an IDE hdd NEVER install their software. Just fucks thigns up.
  • Problem: I ran the FDISK utility and this is what it said:

Partition: 1
    Type: Non-DOS
    Volume Label:
    Mbytes: 8025
    System:
    Usage: 25%
    Total disk space is 32248 Mbytes

It won't let me go past the 32 GB line without the DDO.
  • trainer4 wrote:
    Problem: I ran the FDISK utility and this is what it said:

Volume Label:
    System:

Are you gonna install WinNT or WinXP?

BTW When you install a version of windows, DONT use Fdisk for Windows 9x, pop a bootable WinNT/XP disc in and use the setup disk partationing system.
  • Topher wrote:
    trainer4 wrote:

Volume Label:
    System:

BTW When you install a version of windows, DONT use Fdisk for Windows 9x, pop a bootable WinNT/XP disc in and use the setup disk partationing system.

OK. I want to try to install windows xp

I don't have a bootable winnt/xp disc. I never have.
  • trainer4 wrote:
    Topher wrote:
    trainer4 wrote:

Volume Label:
    System:

OK. I want to try to install windows xp

I don't have a bootable winnt/xp disc. I never have.

Want a bootable WinXP disc?

The best way to partation a disk for Win NT and 2k and XP is through the part. wizard in the setup.
  • trainer4 wrote:
    Also, is it true that Windows NT will only run on Hard Drive partitions no greater than 8.4 GB? could this be a problem also?

Also, I flashed my BIOS with the latest version and I reformatted my hard drive using the maxblast software. Same setup - 60GB hdd split into 2 30GB partitions. It still runs with install problems. The same errors.
    Your half right, NT 4.0 will not install to a partition over 8.4 UNLESS you download the updated ATAPI.SYS file and put it on a floppy (yes, you'll have to do a floppy install for it to work, I've tried every combo I could think of.)
    trainer4 wrote:
    My maxblast software says something similar to this: Windows NT can only run on partitions no grater than 8.4GB of space. If you want partitions greater than this, use Windows NT SP3 or greater....

Only problem is, I only have the original Windows NT 4.0 Workstation disc (made in 96). I don't have a disk for SP3 or greater, so basically, I'm screwed. Anyway, I'll run Windows 98 until I get a chance to remodify the partitions.
    Yeah, it's SP4 that the updated ATAPI.SYS files comes from, not SP3. Like I said before, do the floppy install and find the ATAPI.SYS update, it comes with a text file explaining what to do, print it out and follow it's directions.
    Q wrote:
    If you have a different Windows machine, you can download Windows NT4 SP6a and "slipstream" it into your original NT4 (Using nLite) to create a NT with SP6 in it from the beginning.

-Q
    nLite cannot modify NT4. NT4 cannot slipstream at all.

You said earlier that this maxblast program said the drive was configured for windows ME. You also mention using 98 to set up partitions. Are you creating FAT32 partitions? NT 4 cannot read FAT32, only FAT16 (2GB limit). I have a method to get NT4 to run on drives larger then 8GB. If partitioning is your only problem, then it should work for you. To begin, make the NT 4 setup floppies, find the ATAPI.sys update (I can e-mail it to you if you wish.) and place that on it's own floppy (altogether you need 4 floppies). I don't know about this maxblast, so I don't know what role it will play in the matter. You say you need it to see the whole drive size, I'd recommend checking for a BIOS upgrade, there may be one to detect larger drives, eliminating the need for that overlay program.
  • OK. ATAPI.SYS is on the third floppy. I can't even get past the second floppy. I don't think this is the problem. Umm... I'll give the non-DDO thing a try...

WinNT, Win2k, and WinXP all crash at the same point. WinNT says something about ntoskrnl.exe and win2k and winxp doesn't give me a memory dump.
  • Yes, there is an ATAPI.sys file on one of the 3 startup disks, but you need to download the UPDATE, and place it on it's OWN DISK.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would believe a P3 bios could read a large hdd tho.

Unless its a special OEM branded ching ho bios which they fuck up so you cant use a large hdd.
  • I flashed my bios with the latest version upgrade they had... I boot up with the ME startup disk and I entered FDISK and it said only 32 GB of space. I know FAT 32 can't go past 32GB, but why can't it read the whole 60GB?
  • Probly cuz its Windows ME. I think it has a limit but im not sure.

IF I CAN hook you up with an winxp bootable cd i would like you to try that.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    BIOS comes before Windows. If the BIOS can't see past 32 GB, Windows won't either, regardless of what Windows you use.

If you don't find a BIOS update to enable >32 GB disk support, you're stuck with the DDO.
    There may be a jumper on HDD to limit its size to 32Gb... try to use it.
  • OK. I have given up trying to install any version of NT. I will try to do this again in two weeks. Thank you everyone for your help.
  • Don't give up. Try to unplug all your hardware and unplug all unneded devices, and also turn off some COM2/4 IRQs and some other IRQs such as LPT port's... That might be a solution.
  • trainer4 wrote:
    I flashed my bios with the latest version upgrade they had... I boot up with the ME startup disk and I entered FDISK and it said only 32 GB of space. I know FAT 32 can't go past 32GB, but why can't it read the whole 60GB?
    98 doesn't and ME shouldn't have the FAT 32 32GB limit that is built into 2000 and XP. This limit was built to encourage use of NTFS. I have pentium 1 computers that can detect 40GB hard drives just fine. Try a 98 bootdisk instead of the ME one to see what happens.

I didn't explain my method for installing NT on large drives. Get the atapi.sys disk, do the floppy install, install NT onto an 8GB partition. What I did next was use Hiren's boot cd (ibm gave us something nice before he was banned...). I don't quite remember which partition tool I used, but I think I used partition magic, which then resised the partition to the full size of the drive. Afterwards it works just fine (as the atapi.sys file has been updated. Then install service pack 6 over it, it will ask if you want to update your atapi.sys file, as it think it came from a third party, click yes, everything will be fine.

If that doesn't work, ship someone the drive, they'll do it for you.