Windows XP Home vs. Pro

edited December 2004 in Software
Hello! I'm gunna put up a polll like usual ;)

OK! I bought the $199 Windows XP Pro for my laptop, instead of buying the $89 XP Home. I heard that XP Pro gives your laptop better battery life per charge. I've put XP Pro on my desktop machine and it runs great, doesn't take up all my memory and crap like that, and I want to know what else is better in XP Pro besides Network Capabilities. I bought it mainly for my Laptop which came with Home and it ran more stable and faster--I had a 1.7 Ghz Laptop-- and I put it on my desktop that had Windows ME on it, and I found that it runs faster, and more stable, and I was able to make an operational network, unlike ME. But there was a drawback, as I had to find a patch to skip the lovely activation feature in XP. The patch screwed up my computer and I re-installed it, but this time, I had Cable internet, and it was always on. I re-installed Windows clean, and It activated it during setup. I heard that Windows XP erases there servers with the Serials numbers on them every 6 months. Does Home doo this also? Is there any things better in XP Pro than Home that I have not said? Thanks, Nick

Comments

• Better battery life on winxp pro than home, i doubt that.

I really benifit from the networking.

AND since your 13, you should of ordered the achademic version of XP Pro, which ends up the same price (89 dollars) as retail xp home.
  • XP Pro is better.
  • Quote from NTL1991
    "Be Quiet! I dont need anyone knowing my age"

Is that the full version and not the upgrade? It doesn't have any edu crap in it right? Now office 2003 educational, or whatever is good, but I already have Office XP Pro w/FrontPage
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    Quote from NTL1991

Is that the full version and not the upgrade? It doesn't have any edu crap in it right? Now office 2003 educational, or whatever is good, but I already have Office XP Pro w/FrontPage

i believe full version.;

PS who cares its just a number, im 14
  • i dunno whether i missed an option or something but there is more advanced file sharing in XP pro, home is annoying to configure preferences
  • I dont really care which one is better. I got the XP Home version that came with my laptop. I dont think PRO gives you better battery life. I got a Centrino laptop, so I can get at least 3 hrs out of it. I dont need any more. PRO does have some useful features, so i'll just install my PRO Corp. ed. on my workstation, and keep the HOME version (for which i paid) for the laptop.
  • Well, I think that the only reason for pro is if you are connecting to a domain, want advanced user config, want ISS (I personally would use apache)
  • as my battery is only good for an hour i dont care........
  • Well, I think that the only reason for pro is if you are connecting to a domain, want advanced user config, want ISS (I personally would use apache)

Do you get them inschools a lot TcH?

Its IIS.
  • Yes

BTW I forgot a detail to my list

Want a better version than Home.
  • If you have Home Edition, and it does what you need, then keep it. You have the same kernel as pro, and theres nothing wrong with it.

If you need some of the features of pro, and i like some of them, then get pro.
  • And lets not forget Pro Corporate, no activation, I'm sure NTL would like that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I just use Pro because I have a legal corporate product key for it...
  • Tomchu wrote:
    LOOOOOOOL! Fool!

XP Home + Remote Desktop + IIS + dual CPU = XP Pro

It's the *same* thing.

I use remote desktop at least 5 times a week... Therefore, I need pro.
  • I don't think you can use Local Users and Groups in Home, which I always use (LU&G, not Home).

-Q
  • ntl, xp home is very poor... the pro one is a little better. but not perfect.
    The best is Windows XP Server a.k.a. Windows SRV 2003.
  • If they're the same, so can you show me how to use task scheduler and how to set permissions in XP home...?
  • Tomchu wrote:
    LOOOOOOOL! Fool!

XP Home + Remote Desktop + IIS + dual CPU = XP Pro

It's the *same* thing.
    You mean dual CPU support? If your on a computer with only one cpu, then that isn't even an issue I suppose....
    Also, I know people who have XP home on laptops, they can't get access to the network with it, but with pro people are able to, there must be some network functions that home is lacking (or has turned off).

I remember seeing on someones server, xp pro files.rar (something to that effect). Never downloaded it, but if whoever had it is here still can you tell us what that was all about? It was like a 12MB file.
  • True... if there even were such a beast... I wouldn't want to touch it, the heat would be too much.
  • Topher wrote:
    NTL1991 wrote:
    Quote from NTL1991

i believe full version.;

PS who cares its just a number, im 14

holy shit, im 18 , i feel like the old fart down the street.

PS: there is no really distinguishable differnce in pro cept of the price!, and the more advanced network ability
  • i feel like the old fart down the street.

No, that's Thump :lol::wink: ::D

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    i feel like the old fart down the street.

-Q

how old IS thump to begin with? (as in a #)
  • I don't know, but VERY old compared to most of us I think.

-Q
  • Topher wrote:
    Q wrote:
    i feel like the old fart down the street.

-Q

how old IS thump to begin with? (as in a #)
    My age begins with a 5. Revealing that I was over 50 seems to
    have won me the unofficial title of oldest member. The title fart
    doesn't belong to me yet. I believe some other members deserve
    that title more than I.

The difference between Home and Pro, I believe, is perception.
    They do have different personalities and for that I like Home
    the best. Pro can do everything that Home can, and I believe
    some more things that I don't even use, but it's presented a
    little bit different. I like them both but prefer Home.
    It's like having someone work for you. You have two people
    doing the same job and doing it well but you just like one of
    them better than the other for personality reasons.

Thump
  • Thump wrote:
    The title fart doesn't belong to me yet. I believe some other members deserve that title more than I.

Ooo, should I ask :wink::lol:

-Q