I'm almost there... I think

edited December 2004 in Software
OK! I have BulletProof FTP Server, a Linksys Router, A BroadBand Connection, Cute FTP Pro, and Windows XP Pro. I did the port fowarding thing on my Router Setup Util, which is set to 2500 (a guide to me to use this). My IP is 192.168.1.1, which is my Router Util. How does someone connect to this IP if ALOT of people have the same 192.168.1.1 For thier routers. I also took note of another IP, 68.9.49.180. Which one do I use? Someone said use No-IP.org. What's that? I know Fish has it. I have this ftproot folder from IIS, so when I type [url=FTP://localhost]FTP://localhost[/url], it tells me the files in that folder. I'm all confused. Any Help? Thank You :? :? :?

Then when I get it up, Ill be able to share Encarta 98 which EVERYONE wants.

EDIT: I also set up Accounts in BPFTP Server

Comments

• You forward the port to the IP of the computer you've got BPFTPSvr on (Start > Run > command > ipconfig will tell you yours). If you want to let ppl connect to your system, tell them to goto ftp://68.9.49.180:2500/

-Q
  • That's All?

IPCONFIG goes away too fast.
  • That's why you run command, THEN ipconfig.

This'll get you started. BTW, You stopped IIS FTP?

-Q
  • Yes. Um It tells me 192.168.1.1, but the BPFTP Server tells me my Remote Address is 68.9.49.180
  • That's right. Forward port 2500 TCP to 192.168.1.1 and get a No-IP for the 68 one. Also, setup a user and shared directory in BPFTP.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • In BFTP server, you need to set the port that it listens on as well. Also the passive port range must include the ports your router is forwarding.
  • I set on my router passive ports and Reg. Ports
  • What is the No-ip.org thing for? What does it do?
  • Gives you a relatively easy to use DNS (you.bounceme.net) to use instead of your IP addr.

-Q
  • OK I got one of those.

My IP wont connect

Which one am I using? 192.168 or 68.9.49.180
  • You mean, you're trying to connect to your server and it wont work?

Try with 127.0.0.1:2500 1st, then 192.168.1.1:2500, then the 68 one.

-Q

PS. Don't forget to tell Windows Firewall what you're doing.
  • Only the First One Worked. Can I use that or is that a type of Local one like "localhost"?
  • 127.0.0.x is the same as localhost, yes. If you want your server to be publicly visible, you'll need to be able to use all 3.

-Q
  • hmm. What can be going wrong?
  • You tried 196.168.1.1 and it didn't work?

Are you SURE that's your servers address? It sounds like an address the router would get.

-Q
  • Run IPCONFIG and see what it says under Gateway.
  • OK, then your IP is 192.168.1.100, NOT 192.168.1.1

-Q
  • This is really odd. With Linksys, you should just be able to open it up in a browser....
  • I thought it's the same... Ill try again with .1.100
  • Ugh, silly me.

Yes, your server's IP Address is 100. I thought you were talking about the router :-(
  • Oh my god! It works! It really works!!!!!! Now I can share all my files and all my various crap! Yay!!! Thanks Q and Steve. You DONT know how happy i am now... I'm shaking! Wow! Thanks SOOOOO Much. Now to post on my List... Yes! Thanks Again
  • One More Thing... I have 2 accounts set up. One guest with download for pass, and Mine with all permissions. When I log on with my name and all permissions, it shows the files. When I log on with guest, and only read permissions, it wont show the files. Any Clue?
  • You have to give it "List" permissions.

-Q
  • Oh OK. Thank's SOOOOOOOOOOO Much you two!
  • Didn't know people could get so over excited about setting up FTP....
  • Well now, I think he's been waiting so long to do this.

If I were in that situation... I'd be really excited also.
  • Yeah becuase now I can share files with everyone instead of doing 1 file at a time using MSN or AIM. I'm RARing Encarta 98 Now. I didnt know it comes with IE 3... That's OLD.