Linux Opinions

Comments

• Does anyone else get that "car crash" feeling with this thread? IE. You don't want to watch, but just can't look away?

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • But the power user likes to be able to
    cat image.img > /dev/fd0

instead of
    dd if=image.img of=/dev/fd0

for example.
  • James Babb wrote:
    Steve wrote:
    No. Anyone witha normal IQ is too smart to use Linux.
    lol. that's a better way to put it. i'm back to xp now.
    Guys! Here in Omsk 90 out of 100 Windows users even don't know how to reinstall it... cuz everyone is stupid... :)
    But all advanced users here use just Linux or Linux+Windows, like I do...
  • Q wrote:
    Does anyone else get that "car crash" feeling with this thread? IE. You don't want to watch, but just can't look away?

-Q

yup
  • Slash wrote:
    Guys! Here in Omsk 90 out of 100 Windows users even don't know how to reinstall it... cuz everyone is stupid... :)
    Here (at least in my town) it's about 98 in 100 AFAIK....
  • edited January 2005
    Heh... it sounds like we are all here geniuses... in some way...
  • "genials" ?

-Q
  • EDIT: Geniuses...
  • James Babb wrote:
    Picture this....

Linux DOES NOT run USEFUL windows programs well AT ALL.

Thus if you want to play ANY DECENT GAMES OR USE ANY DECENT APPS, then you will have use windows.

just because linux doesnt have as many known security vulnerabilities doesnt many its more secure. There are probaly numberous amounts of vulnerablities yet to be sought out.

And besides....how secure is it if you give the source code away so ppl can just read the code to find a hole, instead of actually having to do trial and error to find a hole.

And I HAVE NEVER even when XP came out had an error every 5/10/60/120 minutes. The first error I had came like a week later when i was messing with something, but that error was caused on my behalf, not window's.
    You obviously haven't tried many games. In fact I have gotten Starcraft and Warcraft III to run in RHL with WINE before.
  • okay...great...i can get aoe to run in that. great. now for some better games....

Battlefield 1942: NEIN
    Star Wars Battlefront: NEIN
    SimCity 4: NEIN
    Sims 2: NEIN
    Rise of Nations: NEIN
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: NEIN
    Coaster Tycoon 2: sort of
    " " 1: sort of
  • James Babb wrote:
    okay...great...i can get aoe to run in that. great. now for some better games....

Battlefield 1942: NEIN
    Star Wars Battlefront: NEIN
    SimCity 4: NEIN
    Sims 2: NEIN
    Rise of Nations: NEIN
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: NEIN
    Coaster Tycoon 2: sort of
    " " 1: sort of
    Try running some mac platform games on Windows and see what happens...

I don't see anyone complaining about them!
  • The point of WINE is to enable you to do that. If it does... then it's failing.

-Q
  • Macintosh games? LMAO!
  • Tomchu wrote:
    No one tries playing Mac games on a PC because the PC already has all of them, and 428948923 more. LOL

Linux + games = Like water and oil

If you shake them together vigorously, they'll remain mixed for a moment, but then seperate again. :)
    Yeah, so get yourself a linux platform game.
  • Like he just said. Why bother running Linux games on Windows. When Windows has them already + 436363636 more.
  • I meant use a linux platform game on LINUX.
  • Okay....here's why....

BECAUSE LINUX PLATFORM GAMES SUCK!

The only good one i have found is Enemy Territory, which might I add, runs better in windows.
  • Why the fuck would you install linux and expect to run Windows based games on it? (wrong)
  • I heard somewhere that most of server games like Q3 and HL are first developed for linux in early development stages...
  • Slash wrote:
    I heard somewhere that most of server games like Q3 and HL are first developed for linux in early development stages...

i doubt it
  • Tomchu wrote:
    jcmoor wrote:
    Why the fuck would you install linux and expect to run Windows based games on it? (wrong)

Because everyone says you can do it? *cough* WINE *cough*

But otherwise, because THERE ARE VIRTUALLY NO GAMES ON LINUX.

BUT TOM, W HAT ABOUT TUX RACER?!1 ITS LEET!!!122211232314
  • Tux racer is great... this is the first true game I've seen in Linux... :)
  • Slash wrote:
    I heard somewhere that most of server games like Q3 and HL are first developed for linux in early development stages...

I doubt it, but those have dedicated servers for Linux. Q3 also has a Linux client (as have all id games since Doom).
  • Slash wrote:
    Tux racer is great... this is the first true game I've seen in Linux... :)
    i dont play games in any unix expect for text based ones but that game is slow as shit (and i like all unixes)
  • i played Tux Racer....it was fun for about 15 minutes.