Linux Opinions

edited February 2005 in Software
Im just wanting to see what people here think about Linux and all its derivitives.

Personally i think it sucks but i would like to hear some reasons why people like it and hate it.

Richard

Comments

• its fine for server use but not for desktop, takes ages to do simple things
  • It makes a great server. Desktop use is still iffy but entirely doable.
  • It does make a good server and its fun to work with, but im starting to like bsd much better.
  • BOD wrote:
    its fine for server use but not for desktop, takes ages to do simple things

Haha, so true.

You mean actually starting up programs or installing those hacked patched to make it work correctly?
  • like change the screen resolution, and install programs, you shouldnt have to compile something, thats what the program vendors are sposed to do
  • Bcause you need to compile it to work on your system.
  • But you shouldn't need to.
  • exacly. when was the last time you had to compile a program for windows?
  • Exactly. Linux is just one big hassle for desktop systems.
  • BOD wrote:
    exacly. when was the last time you had to compile a program for windows?

5 minutes ago, but that's because I was the vendor for it.

Otherwise...never
  • i like tinkering with linux and it runs on 2 of my thinkpads along with bsd and windows on my main system.

its kinda of a hassle to use all the time therefore i only use it when i have freetime.
  • Bottom line is. It's a buggy POS that's not fit to be run on any system.
  • Steve wrote:
    Bottom line is. It's a buggy POS that's not fit to be run on any system.
    i wouldnt say that. its not really a pos, it just needs improvement
    i have been able to run it on every system i have, i just wouldnt want to run X
  • What kind of modern OS still makes you use command line? Exactly.

And if it was a server, I'm not trusting my stuff with Linux.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iv'e just starteed using linux and as most of you complain about the having to compile programs.. well you never have to do it for windows as the entire point of windows is basically to make every thing as easy as possbile.. but you cant sit there and say linux is buggy as i know it is when window can be hugely worse.. remember when XP first came out every 5 mins another small error would occur. what about for those who have the home edition.. the system recovery wipes all your data.. why.. to make people cash out more money to get pro.. linux well its free. and with anything free theres gonna be a few issues... i just had to install new graphics drivers.. and well for any of those out there using linux try using Nvidia as atleast they have desent support and linux drivers.. other companys dont like there main rival ATI... linux is a much more programmer based system.. command line well without it you would have a windows as you nedd command line to start windows for the PC to perform POST, run the BIOS, find the hard drives, start Windows.. besides this is a better version off it.. unlike the original DOS that bill gates took off someone changed the name and a few commands and became rich off it.. i my self use windows and linux.. windows is great cause its compatible, user friendly, but with linux you can make your own program with ease and share it.. a program with a bug in it instead of waiting months for the latest fix to be on windows update you can look at it your self and try and fix it.. hence it being better for programmes.. but seriously you can insult an OS when if you look at the one you use weighed against it also has a large amount of cons behind it.. also how can you compare an OS to a car.. of course you wouldnt buy it as you put your life on teh line with a car.. not a PC
  • Holey...Hell....Can you make complete sentances...please...it makes things less annoying...and make you look....like less of a retard...which you already are....kthnxno...

You are a typical Linux user. You only EXAGERATE. Windows has far more pro's than Linux. If Linux is a programming OS then how come most software programmers that work for larger companies use Windows?
  • Picture this....

Linux DOES NOT run USEFUL windows programs well AT ALL.

Thus if you want to play ANY DECENT GAMES OR USE ANY DECENT APPS, then you will have use windows.

just because linux doesnt have as many known security vulnerabilities doesnt many its more secure. There are probaly numberous amounts of vulnerablities yet to be sought out.

And besides....how secure is it if you give the source code away so ppl can just read the code to find a hole, instead of actually having to do trial and error to find a hole.

And I HAVE NEVER even when XP came out had an error every 5/10/60/120 minutes. The first error I had came like a week later when i was messing with something, but that error was caused on my behalf, not window's.
  • Ouch. The guest post hurts my eyes.
  • Yea, the guest posted some wrong stuff...
    And Babb is not right either... he is not so intelligent to use linux.
  • I'll stay neutral in this and just say stay off the shoulder.

-Q

PS. That means EVERYONE.
  • Slash wrote:
    Yea, the guest posted some wrong stuff...

not intelligent enough to use linux?

I am quite capable of runing linux and using it for that matter. I just choose not to.

But if you would like to make some money bets....then so be it.

And tom...this article i wrote could easily apply to freeBSD also.
  • Agree, Linux is very difficult. Though everyone can use Linux as their desktop OS, not everyone can make it to work like you want...
    But who can make it, there is nothing better than Linux for him.
  • Slash wrote:

okay...i'm using linux right now...if you dont believe me, check your logs. apparently i'm not too stupid to use linux. I believe you owe me 1 rouble or 0.0360881 USD.

lol. j/k. you dont owe me any money slash.
  • No. Anyone witha normal IQ is too smart to use Linux.
  • Steve wrote:
    No. Anyone witha normal IQ is too smart to use Linux.
    lol. that's a better way to put it. i'm back to xp now.
  • People that don't have the nerve or not to smart with computers can't handle the power of Linux and BSD.