What legal Windows do you own?

Comments

• I have windows 95 OSR2.1, Windows98 and Windows98se. Not really legaly own, they were given to me from work. They sat in a locker we used for holding the software CDs unused for who knows how long. I had copys of DOS that were legal but they got lost. They all came with a second hand PC my parents bought back in the day.
  • I don't care legal or illegal version I am using. What about you? Wanna hear Steve's opinion. :)
  • My dad got all the Packard Bells, one from work, and 2 from a Rent-a-Center... They last REALLY long though... My Uncle has a Packard Bell with a 25Mhz Processor and DOS on it. I works like it came out of the factory... They moved out of the US though... Now thier systems are cheap...
  • Windows 95
    Windows 95 OSR 2.5
    Windows 98SE
    THats all :P
  • Oh and a XP Home
  • Slash wrote:
    Should Windows 98 and below be considered legal now? It's ABW.

microsoft doesn't do abandon ware.... -_-

anyways the only legal windows i have are what came with the dell and the crapaq

so i have legal copy of windows 98 SE upgrade... useless!!

and a legal copy of XP home edition....

neither of those i really want to use... XP home is ok but i want to try out pro!! and 98... ha! if i had a death wish i'd use it... i'm kidding.... it'll run half way decent if its tuned properly...
  • Actually, if you don't need the extra networking crap, multi-processor support, etc, XP Home is great. It's just not a good idea to mention it on a forum like this.
  • It's not that bad, but for ppl like us, who go Home when you can (almost just as easily) go Pro?

-Q
  • Or MCE like I did!! LOL
  • Slash wrote:
    Or MCE like I did!! LOL

Which is the heaviest XP Version ever. So why are you complaining about its speed?

I'm still trying to install MCE on my atXt, but I need to fix some cooling for the PSU. The damn thing gets hot and the PC turns off. I need to unplug the AC before it works again.
  • MCE, complete with (If I remember right) the "gayest" games ever!

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    MCE, complete with (If I remember right) the "gayest" games ever!

-Q

owww yeah! It had these nostalgic old games gone berserk with a modern gaybar-on-steroids look! I cant wait to make fun of them... I really need a cooling system for atXt's PSU!
  • Tofer posted the Qbert clone, it was pinkly done!

-Q

PS. However to say that...
  • Wait...the original MCE was based on Home.
  • There some MCE's based on Home but my MCE is based on Pro
  • Slash wrote:
    There some MCE's based on Home but my MCE is based on Pro

The latest MCEs are based on PRO, but they left out some of the pro features like domain login. IIS is still included, and can be used to log in into your TV record sheduler.
  • No, it's still there, but some tweak needed! :P
  • the thing is i want that extra networking crap... home is fine but i want pro
  • I think Home converted to Pro works just the same as Pro
  • does anyone know if there are visual differences between home and pro? i mean besides the startup screen and the windows XP wallpaper...

cause there is a menu design i've seen on numerous XP machines, simular to the whistler menus on trillian... and the longhorn skin gives these menus to the start menu but nothign else... i'm just curious how i can add whislter style menus to XP... cause its liek my favorite style..
  • Look around for the Whistler "Watercolor" theme.
  • i have that from fish... but it doesn't change the menus... maybe its what they used to make the theme... can you get the actual whistler theme? like copy it from whislter ? cause thanks to fish i can use any *.msstyles theme...
  • the menus are also in office 2003 .... is it maybe somthing office adds ?
  • From Office 97 (95?) and up they always draw their own controls. This is why you see screenshots of Word 97 running on NT 3.51 with Win98-like menus.
  • Office 2003 draws its own controls too.
    So if you install watercolor, Office2003's menus won't take advantage of the skin
  • 3.1 (complete 6 disks)
    95A (missing 2 disks)
    95B (CD)
    98SE ( critical scratches)
    xp Home(from the cds that came with my compaq laptop )
    xp home sp1 (see above)
    ME (see above)
    Dos 6.22 (see above)
  • i know that but office adds things like the file thing jpeg... anyways if anyone has the water color theme that has the menu's that are simular to office 2003 then tell me please...
  • Don't think it's possible, but, who knows...
  • Windows Vista ,Windows XP and Windows 98

But I have got alot of illegal copies...
    Windows Nt3.1-4.0 Workstations and servers
    Windows 95
    Windows 1.0-3.X
    OS/2 Warp
    These OSes are just for testing purposes only.so I don't care about is it legal or not.
  • My god.

This thread is 23 months old.