Another new toy for me

edited February 2005 in Hardware
I fucked up my Athlon XP 1800+ by installing a Athlon XP 3200+ CPU. Come to find out the CPU was bad. Anyway I saved enough money, just for a rainiy day. I went to RPC Computers and noticed they had a sale going on for a mobo and CPU bundle. It had the AMD Athlon 64 2800+ with a K8 Triton mobo from Gigabyte. The salesman kept pushing me to buy it ofcorse I already wanted it but since it's a small own computer shop I wanted him to lower the price since it wasn't backed by a curent price from a comerical company. Well it didn't work so I ended up paying the full price of 300 bucks for it. Best part is they were out of the mobos for the bundle sale so he tosses in a better mobo that was basicly the same as the other but with more USB ports (8 ports), dual LAN, SATA RAID, and dual BIOS. If I had a cam that didn't suck major ass I would take shots of the boxes that the mobo and the CPU came in and maybe shots of inside of my PC. All I can give out right now is screen shots of my specs. I've shown them to Tim (FishNET) so he can back me up. If you're wondering my prevous AMD 64 was taken back :( But this one is here to stay for ever untill i upgrade it with a better one lol.

Comments

• What model mainboard is it?
  • dual bios? care to explain the need and purpose for that?
  • I had the same thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hrm... that seems like a nice (but somewhat overdesigned) idea...
  • woah, hopefully i won't need dual-bioses in the future... I wonder if TCP got ripped off somehow...
  • dual bios? care to explain the need and purpose for that?

my old gigabyte board has that
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Dual BIOS is actually pretty cool. If you misflash, or something goes wrong during a flash, you don't have to screw around with hotflashing. It just restores itself. :P

Dual bios doesnt work in some cases. The bios pretends to be working but does nothing. I have seen pictures of someon ripping of his first bios chip with a huge grip. The board worked perfectly afterwards.
  • Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8NSNXP Special Edition

Heres what the mobo has.

Socket 754
    1600MHz FSB
    nForce3 250
    3 slots for DDR (DDR400/333/266)
    1 AGP 4x/8x (1.5v) 5 PCI
    2 IDE
    GigaRAID IT8212
    SATA 4 connections two by the nForce and two by the Sil3512
    1LPT, 2serial, 1game, 8usb 2.0, 3 IEEE1394b (firewire)
    Dual LAN Marvell 8001 10/100/1000 and nvidia lan 10/100

The list contunes, in the manual it takes up 2 and a half pages listing the features.

Dual BIOS is mostly used for protecting the BIOS from viruses and bad flash updates.
  • edited January 2005
    1600 MHz FSB?
  • 1600Mhz FSB... I think I need to look into how fast things are these days..
  • me too, im only running at 333......
  • woah, i feel like my ath64 mobo was made in 2000 :(
  • Hey I think I bought the same combo as TCP.
  • BOD wrote:
    me too, im only running at 333......
    Heh... my mini only runs at 66Mhz FSB, but my dell runs at 800.
  • my HT is faster then 800MHz, last I checked mine was at 823MHz. Thats what the nvidia tool program said before i took it off due to funny thingd happening with my AGP BUS speed.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Ehh, the "FSB" isn't REALLY an FSB, and it's not REALLY 1600 MHz.

It's the HyperTransport link between the CPU and Northbridge, which is 800 MHz both ways on an Athlon 64 Socket 754. Since it's bi-directional, they just state it as 1600 MHz for marketing purposes.

On most Socket 939 boards, the HT link is 1000 MHz both ways.

Don't treat the HT link as an FSB. :P Since the memory controller is on the CPU now, the CPU's link to the outside world has different purposes.
    Ah that's good to know....thank. I didn't think that they could have doubled bus speeds in only a year. Though 1066 is the speed for a HT extreme edition (but P4's suck according to many of you so that increase means nothing for you).
  • I have mine in the stock settings. Werid thing is I have my AGP BUS speed set to 100MHz in the BIOS but XP seems to only see it running at 66MHz. I even tryed running EasyTune4 and and made it run the AGP to 100MHz but CPUZ still see's it as 66MHz.

Nevermind, I fixed it.
  • I have the BIOS set to 100MHz and I installed nTune and it also says it's running at 100MHz.
  • Do I have to pst some screen shots for proof?? As soon as I get off work tomorrow (if they don't call me in again for a double) I will set my HTTPD back up and post some screenshots.
  • You might set it to 100 MHz but it WON'T run at that speed.
  • TCPMeta, how hard is for you to understand what Tomchu is trying to tell you! It is not like teaching a hamster calculus....

Look, i just did a Google search about it and read this:

Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) - A dedicated expansion port that began to show up on motherboards in the second half of 1997. It bypasses the PCI bus and allows higher throughput from the graphics card to the processor and memory for speedier 3D graphics. Original AGP cards were "1x" versions that ran at 66MHz, offering 266MB/second throughput; but now AGP supports up to 8X data transfer speeds, which means the card still runs at 66MHz, but transfers 8x as much data per clock tick, upping the throughput to 2.1GB/second. Although the throughput is much greater, most graphics cards have a large amount of local memory and thus do not get much of a bonus from faster AGP speeds.

from geek.com
  • Unless I'm reading it wrong, WP says it went to 266MHz.

-Q