Windows 95, 98, or ME

edited September 2004 in Software
What is your favorite 9x. OS? :? If you had to choose (dance) (this wouldn't be here if i put none Sorry :cool: )

Comments

• I don't have a favorite 9x OS. I don't like any of them.

However, if I do have to pick one to save my life, I will have to choose 95. Why? Because its the only M$ didn't screw that OS up.

Use WINNT. Its better.
  • Roger Ngo wrote:
    I don't have a favorite 9x OS. I don't like any of them.

However, if I do have to pick one to save my life, I will have to choose 95. Why? Because its the only M$ didn't screw that OS up.

Use WINNT. Its better.

I like Windows NT 4.0, 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2 alot better i just wanted to post a poll
  • Yeah. Hahaha I bet WinME will get least votes!
  • I like 95 all versions, 98 is OK, but it takes a Windows 2000-Class PC to run it, so theres no use for 98. Same for ME, it takes a 2000-class PC to run, so theres no use for it.
  • Yes I agree on that.
  • I agree too. if it takes a 2k class pc to run the os then just get 2000
  • yeah, but if your low on HD space 98SE is good. 300MB to install vs 750MB for 2K
  • Usually I would just format the HDD before I would install a new OS.

Just being curious: Is there any way you could get an installlation of Win98 below 100mb?
  • well, really, if you know what your doing you could just shit clean it manually.

OR

get 98Lite and remoce the stuf the Windows doesnt want you too.
  • I cant stand 9.x, NT based OSes are great... I mean, this PC has been up for 4 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes, 26 seconds and it still feels like I just booted!!!1
  • Yeah, when I used to have Win98SE on one of my other computers, after 3 hours or so, Windows would just used up well, practically all the resources.

Then I found Win2000 and WinXp. I bet you'll know the story from there.
  • Yeah I should try that someday. Get 98Lite and wipe the crap out of Win98. That'll be fun.
  • 98SE IS a resource hog. I got 95 on some old box's and its OK.

shamefully, I got 98SE on a Pentium MMX 233MHz /128MB / 1.7GB+3.2GB
  • Does it run friggin slow? Because I once had 98 running on my Pentium 166 w/ 32mb.

It ran painfully slow on it.
  • I had 98SE on a 100MHz / 64MB and it was fine.. same for XP on tht baby..
  • WTf, I had 98SE on a 133MHz/64MHz once. ITS MURDER!

If you play a WAV or open an IE Window itll choke! the startup sound skipped!
  • Damn... I could imagine 98. XP? With all the graphics and everything. Whoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • I couldn't even play anyfile. Would crash just startin WMP!
  • Well i had 98 and 2k dual booting on a 750Mhz machine (but sys props

said that it is a 757Mhz) 98 was as slow as heck while 2K ran like a charm

and was much more stable. now i have windows xp pro on as 1GHz Dell

Latitude C600 and still runs like a charm for a year without reformating
  • Windows95 is one of the OSs that MS took they're time with. Also it is more stable then win98. Win98 sucks up to much memory and you get plenty of BSoD.
  • Yea, 95 was the most stable. After NT4, M$ realised that the NT line is alot better, so they really took more time into the NT based products. 98 was just put out as an update to 95 becuase They were still building NT4 and taking time to get it right so it didnt some out until 2000 and the 1996 OS NT4 wasnt very modern.
  • Windows 95 is probably the best, of them....ME is just pointless, and 98 doesn't work too well with older systems, like mine with it's "decent" video card.
  • I have no clue why Microsoft released ME... it should've been a service pack for Win98...
  • I have seen places releasing some unofficial service pack 2 for 98. Someone is making updates and patch fixes or something... Anyone else know about that?
  • WinWorld has that, it just installs all the MS Critical Updates for 98 in 1 fell swoop.

-Q
  • Oh, so people can waste hard drive space installing all the language updates at once...got ya.
  • Something like that. You may be able to customize what's installed. I'm not sure, I haven't had 98 in sooo long...

-Q
  • All the computers at my work have Windows 98. From Pentium 166 MHzs to Dell P4s, except for the few XP machines.
  • Yea same at my school. *shudders*

A few extraordinarily special people get 2000, but most everything is 98.

12 of 30 in the lab are XP. The others are 98, even though they came with 2000, because the tech volunteers made an image with all the apps they needed using W98! How stupid!

We took care of about 4 classroom computers ourselves, reformatting them to XP!
  • I remember when my high school had in the computer lab a bunch of 486s and some pentiums. They ran anything from Windows3.11 to Windows95. A few of them were running Windows NT 3.51 and Windows NT4. The funny thing is every teacher in they're classroom had a Macintosh PLUS running MacOS 7 Don't ask me why the school was like that.

The computer class had Pentium IIs that ran like crap. Me and a few friends reformated thoses fuckers countless times. The dame things were slow. They had 64MB ram. The computer teacher didn't know shit about computers. Also when we started to leard about computer hardware we were reading out of books that were 10 years old and talking about 286s and 386s with ESDI hard drives and 2MB ram. The teacher even brought in a computer and started telling us what part was what. She held up a IDE hard drive and said this is a ESDI drive. I would try and correct her and boy she would get pissed off. Oce I told her "your not a teacher, your just a gloryfide babysiter." I got sent home for two weeks for that.

Anyway before I droped out the teahcers got the computers from the computer lab and were replaceing the computer lab wih HPs.