Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition

edited February 2005 in Hardware
These are mucho expensive but what does having 2MB of L3 cache actually mean performance wise and basically what is the full story behind the extreme edition.

Thanks
Richard

Comments

• P4s are a joke
  • Dont bother with a P4EE, theyre an outdated technology. Get an Athlon 64-FX if you want a REAL good CPU that youll need to trade your car in for.
  • Type / Form Factor AMD Athlon 64 FX 55
    Clock Speed 2.6 GHz
    Processor Socket Socket 939
    Cache Level 1 Size 128 KB
    Architecture Features HyperTransport technology, AMD64 technology, integrated memory controller, Enhanced Virus Protection
    Cache Memory Installed Size L2 Cache - 1 MB
    Expansion / Connectivity Compatible Slots 1 x processor - Socket 939
  • Thats all fair enough but i'd still like to know about the P4EE. Not saying Im going to buy one just want to know about them. As I do intend to buy an AMD 64 soon.

Richard
  • Extreme Edition == Marketing crap
  • My Pentium M CPU also has 2mb L2. I don't really know what the advantage of it is, it should be faster or something, but I really don't know what to compare my CPU with. It can play 10mbit HDWMV files perfectly, and microsoft recommends a P4 3.0ghz or something.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Someone here prove why they think the P4EE is crap....
  • jcmoor wrote:
    Someone here prove why they think the P4EE is crap....
    cause everyone is biased agianst intel
  • no. becuase intel are expensive and slow (well the newer products)
  • But no one has any evidence to back their opinions?
  • go find the Pi calculation topic. its all there
  • Intel's future is the Pentium M. :)
  • Which is still at insanely low clock speeds, like apple computers~!
  • Tomchu wrote:
    jcmoor wrote:
    But no one has any evidence to back their opinions?

You want evidence? Go find some benchmarks, look at the price of a P4 EE, then compare to an Athlon 64 Socket 939 chip.

Also look at thermal output and power consumption. :)
    Im not going to prove someone elses opinion. You do it.
  • so tom is going to go buy a P4EE that costs like 3x as much as his A64 *system* then?
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Which is still at insanely low clock speeds, like apple computers~!

Oh please. If you're going to be a n00b like that, then don't even bother replying to the CPU-related threads. :P

A Pentium 1.8 GHz M absolutely pwnz a 3.0 GHz P4.

I'd rather go with a mobile Athlon 64.
  • LOL, wasn't the MHz myth proved insignifigant like 5 to 7 years ago? Wow.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    jcmoor wrote:
    Tomchu wrote:
    jcmoor wrote:
    But no one has any evidence to back their opinions?

You want evidence? Go find some benchmarks, look at the price of a P4 EE, then compare to an Athlon 64 Socket 939 chip.

Also look at thermal output and power consumption. :)
    Im not going to prove someone elses opinion. You do it.

Then WTF are you complaining about? I know the facts, and I'm stating my opinion as a result of that. If you don't believe the opinion, you are free to go find the facts yourself. I won't hold your hand, because whether or not you believe me is irrelevant to the facts.
    Tomchu wrote:
    Which is still at insanely low clock speeds, like apple computers~!

Oh please. If you're going to be a n00b like that, then don't even bother replying to the CPU-related threads. :P

A Pentium 1.8 GHz M absolutely pwnz a 3.0 GHz P4.

I'd rather go with a mobile Athlon 64.

Agreed. :)
    If you really *cared* about your opinion then you would. So obviously it doesn't matter much and im not going to worry about it :).
  • Heh, it doesn't even affect me.
  • I just told my friend last night about the royal pieces of dung these things are when he was tlaking about how cool the Dell XPS is. lol
  • lol, Tony (NoNothing usr name) was goign to get the desktop XPS. I put together a part by part listing and showed him that you can build like 2 XPS's for the cost of buying one. He wound up getting an XPS laptop, which though it's a Dell and an Intel, is more reasonable than the XPS desktop. Though I'm sure he has no need for all the features of it.