GeForce 4 MX4000 vs. ATI Radeon 7000

2»

Comments

• I own a geforce 4000mx
    it has done me good and despite me hitting it a few times it still works sometimes lol j/k
    really it is pretty good for me but of course i dont play a ton of games so it runs good on my one and only game of halo
    also if u are a directx9 programmer than dont buy it though go up higher to something that has that special thing for dx9 and supports shaders and all that good junk
  • Well, anyway, my new Radeon 9250 can handle Doom 3 and FarCry! HL2 is decent on it!
  • Good Choice Roger, the 9250 is nice...
  • Heh, I traded a GeForce4 MX 440SE (AGP 4x and 64 MB RAM) for a ATI Radeon 9200SE (AGP 8x, 128 MB RAM, and DVI, TV, VGA out). I've heard that the GeForce was a better card, but I really don't care, since the most intensive game I play is Enemy Territory.

~Duff
  • I still like nVidia better, since they have working OpenGL and Linux drivers.
  • Well, I installed the ATI supplied drivers, and OpenGL seems to be working fine for me.

~Duff
  • Go run some real OpenGL, such as Doom 3. Notice things like the half-shadow-half-light models - which I've seen as far back as the 7000 series.

Sure, ATI has always had slightly better D3D performance, but their drivers, especially Linux and OpenGL, have a very bad history of sucking ass.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    I believe Carmack talked about that, and it's not specific to ATI's drivers, but rather some GPUs and how they do things. For the record, neither my X800 XT or my Radeon 8500 did that.

*shrug* I've seen it on a 7000 and heard of it on 9000 series. Maybe it's the way the card is built along with the GPU.
  • Im swapping the PCs so I can have my Video Card and I think the Duron 900 is more valuable than the Pentium 1ghz because the card...
  • Wow, this is way suprising, but for 2 whole pages this thread has stayed on-topic! A new WinBoards record I think, except maybe the Linux fighting thread.
  • One of the photo threads lasted like 12 pages