JuleOS Dynamite (formally known as 'JuleOS ... um ... OS?')

JJ
edited April 2005 in Software
Yup ... I'm gonna give the creation of an OS a stab ... it might turn around and stab me in the back again.

Source code will be available online, compiled files will also be available, suggestions will be accepted and also bugs will be accepted.

I'm hoping to make it useful by at least the end of 2005, so I'm naming this OS 'JuleOS 2005'- 'JuleOS OS' is a bit of a mouthful, besides the last to letters of JuleOS literally stand for Operating System.

Post comments here!

Comments

• Uhh... Don't even try.

A few here tried that. You know what became of it? Some 200K OS that has two command. Sure, that's OK if it's 1977, but, yeah.

And if it does become of anything, it'll just be Linux all over again.
  • edited March 2005
    Still, if he manages to get a basic kernel and command interpreter, it's still quite an accomplishment to get that far.
    Steve wrote:

Prove it. Or rather, how do you know? Just because Linux started out as a hobby doesn't mean it's crap.
  • So far, I've got a Kernel AND a command interpreter!
  • Wow, this isn't a complete rip-off of HUL OS is it...

*stares blankly around room*
  • JJ
    edited March 2005
    Sorry Zen!!

It was sarcasm!

[edit- this post is out dated]
  • JJ
    edited March 2005
    OK, I know that my sarcasm sometimes is a bit stupid and a bit dull ...

it mainly doesnt make sense ...

[edit- this post is out dated]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Steve wrote:
    Uhh... Don't even try.

Thank you for excellent support there.
    Steve wrote:
    A few here tried that. You know what became of it? Some 200K OS that has two command. Sure, that's OK if it's 1977, but, yeah.

200K 14 year olds have not tried it.
    Steve wrote:

Once again, thank you for excellent support there.
  • Don't bother Jule... I've tried doing an OS... Its extremely hard.... You won't make it....
  • I am gonna bother- I said I would start making an OS last Decemeber! But it completely failed!

Anyway, I'm starting it over again for the time being- don't bother asking why.
  • On a complete change of tune...

Good luck with that! :) HUL OS was a complete disaster.
  • Thanks! I'll need it!
  • ASM is an absolute arse to write in, if you do something in the wrong place, or forget to do something that is completely pointless, it just causes a CPU failure (speaking from experience).

(fail)
  • edited February 2011
    Kool,

Wicked buddy il be helping ya with the os through out development!! .. need anything.. hosting/beta testers/woman .. you got my support.. :P

LMAO.. ps .. got any woman call me k.. ;) (woot)
    ________
    Subaru xt history
  • You're already helping as much as you can Brynet!

Thanks for everything you've done for me so far!

And thanks to Zenithus for helping with the testing too!

I've got a page for the OS now ... http://www.juleos.com/dynamite.php
    I've decided to call it 'Dynamite'.
  • Roger wrote:
    Don't bother Jule... I've tried doing an OS... Its extremely hard.... You won't make it....

For your information, I've just made a simple one. It aint hard. It just requires patience.
  • JuleOS Dynamite build 2 is out!
    It's got a new shutdown function.

See http://www.juleos.com/dynamite.php for more information.
  • JuleOS wrote:
    Roger wrote:
    Don't bother Jule... I've tried doing an OS... Its extremely hard.... You won't make it....

For your information, I've just made a simple one. It aint hard. It just requires patience.

Uhh... I have too... But make a full featured one with a GUI that is able to actually be of use? :twisted:
  • lol, I'll probably be waiting a while for a GUI...
  • good luck in creating an OS you'll need it (y)
  • I know!

Oh, by the way, JuleOS Dynamite 0.01 build 3 is out ... see http://www.juleos.com/dynamite.php for more informaiton...
  • hmm i tried but dont have enough experience in asm and figured i should get on with x-patch design 4(yes i have redesigned it 4 times) good luck and shouldnt it be .boot rather than .bin on the boot image
    anyway
    u made it farther than i did all i got it to do was say "Hello World" then wait 10 secs then reboot

i will help you if you need it not sure how i can help though as i know barely any asm but well they said you can make some of the stuff in C/C++ so maybe i could help sometime

and as usual goodluck
  • hmm i tried but dont have enough experience in asm and figured i should get on with x-patch design 4(yes i have redesigned it 4 times) good luck and shouldnt it be .boot rather than .bin on the boot image
    anyway
    u made it farther than i did all i got it to do was say "Hello World" then wait 10 secs then reboot

i will help you if you need it not sure how i can help though as i know barely any asm but well they said you can make some of the stuff in C/C++ so maybe i could help sometime

and as usual goodluck
    anyway

and as usual goodluck
  • grr the forum was giving me soem stupid errors so i thought it wasnt posting

sorry can an admin please clean that up for me

edit:
    here is the error

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 535 5.7.8 Bad username or password (Authentication failed).

DEBUG MODE

Line : 131
    File : c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\winworld\forum\includes\smtp.php
  • Congratulations, the error wassorted out a while ago, and why did you post in this topic?
  • hckr83 wrote:
    shouldnt it be .boot rather than .bin

Yes, it should, but for some reason, the first build made it a bin file, so I just continued like that ... it makes no difference anyway, its just an extension- it's not like the extension's being written to disk with the message "Don't boot, its not the right extension"...
    hckr83 wrote:

Well, the first OS I done loaded the kernel and the kernel put out the text saying "Welcome to JuleOS Dynamite ALPHA 2! Press any key to reboot...", of course ALPHA 1 printed nothing other than "Welcome to JuleOS Dynamite ALPHA 1! The system has been halted." then halted.
    hckr83 wrote:

Well, I could probably need some help, I need to see if I can load C/C++ programs or not. Send me a simple 'Hello World!' example and I'll try it- if it works, you'll be on the development team ;)
    hckr83 wrote:
    and as usual goodluck

I'll need it- presently build 5 doesn't want to accept user input for some reason. Build 5 obviously hasn't been released yet for this reason.
  • If you want updates on the JuleOS Dynamite Operating System, join our Google Group, at http://groups-beta.google.com/group/JuleOS-Dynamite

We created the group yesterday and anybody can post.

The idea of the group is so that we can alert you of new builds, news and other stuff. Another plan is so that you can put forward bugs and suggestions about the OS.
  • I'd recommend making a basic kernel API soon, so you don't have to hardcode everything in and other components can easily do things like draw text or get input.
  • Well, I actually might think about doing that in build 5, thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried the OS? What do you think if you have?? So far, I think it's useless, but it's the best I've acheived.