Dos or Win101

edited October 2004 in Software
How many people would actually use the DOS command prompt instead of Windows 1.01 as a GUI.

I dont care, about Nortan Commander or Windows 3.0, this ONLY Win1.01 and DOS.

I would still use DOS, not becuase 1.01 sucks, but becuase I just like doing the DOS commands. I still do DOS Commands on my 98SE box, format, ipconfig, ping, etc.

whats you opinions?

Comments

• DOS rulez halfassed GUIs.

The ONLY time I use Win 1.0x if for copying alot of files with very different names. It's easier in Windows then DOS. But other then that (Free)DOS all the way!

-Q
  • I still do DOS Commands on my 98SE box, format, ipconfig, ping, etc.

I still do DOS commands on my XP Pro Boxes! Well, I guess it's not <i>real</i> DOS commands, but its close enough. lol
  • its sort of emulates DOS, but it sucks ass for games. McC's crashed when he tried Doom.
  • lol Yah, I can imagine that it's not too great for games.

Nuthin like the real thing!
  • FreeDOS with OpenGEM all the way!

-Q
  • I perfer DR-DOS with DosShell fomr DOS6.22.
  • Never tried DR-DOS, Im ok with my 6.22.
  • I'm Opn!

-Q

PS. I left out the 'e' on purpose.
  • DOS 6.22

I know most DOS commands, and DOS is lightning fast if you know how to use it.
    And it doesnt crash by itself :D
  • I heard XP's DOS was rebuilt and so it isn't good for good ol dos programs, i still use dos like every day at school to do Netsend with my friends
  • I have Windows 1.01 installed but6 hardly ever use it. Only for copying files of doing operations that would take a lot of time to do in dos.
  • James, The DOS in NT is more of a emulator then the real thing. This is with NT4 and up. MS added that crapy ass tool so we can play older games on XP. They didn't put it in NT4 because they wern't thinking about it and they saw Win2k as more of a office use then home use.
  • There are actually 3rd party programs that emulate MS-DOS and run on XP.
  • Screw DOSEmu, just get VMware/VPC and FreeDOS!

-Q
  • I try with vmware but i get loads of errors

- Joe
  • You can try Bochs (Open) or Connetix/MS VPC, usually much better.

-Q
  • Use DOSbox on winxp i heard it runs old dos games great.

dunno a link, do a google for it.
  • Instead of Win 1.01 I would better use VisiCorp VisiOn as a graphic shell.
    It is not buggy like Windows!
  • Its a legand that Gates sall Visi-On at a Demo and got the idea for Windows 1.0 from that. I think it was the Apple or Xerox.
  • Didnt they get sued by Apple for the trash can?
  • Yea, but it's Opn now! Appl can do nothing! HaHaHaH!!!

-Q
  • Xerox made the frist GUI called Elixer. Apple stole the idea and same with MS. Xerox stoped support Elixer and Atari bought the source code and made GEM for the Atari ST and some how it got ported to the PC and Apple sued because it looked to much like they're GUI so they cut a deal to get rid of the trash can.
  • As much as I'd love to toss back a viscious "owner" that would prove you've got your history fuqued up, I don't feel like turning into T0mchu so I wont.

-Q
  • Go read a few books that talks about the history of computers and also watch pirtates of sillicon vally. When I get a chance i'll post some things I found on the net.
  • If nothing else, Xerox got some Apple stock to let Jobs get some ideas from PARC.

Go tell Ira Flatow that he's wrong.

-Q

PS. And I think we all know how accurate moves are...
  • Xerox's first GUI was Star.

And Xerox let Apple look at their new GUI.

Bill Gates SAW an Apple Lisa and got pissed, so he started Windows 1.0.
  • Yea, I'd forgotten about Star. Thanx

-Q
  • *engages in evil laugh*
    Mua ha ha ha ha! i love posting on finished message strings!!!! mua ha ha ha ha :P
  • Microsoft stole some Win2.0 technologies from Macintoshes.

Apple were the first who used desktop icons!