Dos or Win101

Comments

• Well.

Apple stole from Xerox, then Microsoft saw a demo of the Apple Lisa and Bill Gates shit his pants so he started working on a GUI for DOS.

GUI wise, Apple was kicking Microsofts ass and PC technology.

At Windows 2.03, Apple had 256 Colors with an optional 24-bit with a fully graphical operating system when in PC world everyt used DOS with s cheap ass shell with CGA Color. And you know WHY? becuase there was never an OS to support SVGA
  • Hmm... what a shame.
  • There was also NeXT which supported it, but the older NeXT's ran NeXTStep and ran 68K CPU's making them like Macintoshs.

May I remind you, when Steve Jobbs left Apple, he started NeXT and later returned in 1997
  • Yes the infamous NeXT, shame it beat BeOS...

-Q
  • Yeah....

NeXT cube
    ex-next.jpg

NeXTStep
    next-fvwm2.gif
  • BeBox
    bebox.jpg

BeOS
    beos.jpg

-Q
  • Ahh 1 of these days I'll get one...

-Q
  • They''ve stopped making them in 1997, they're probly like 300MHz max
  • 133MHz max, BUT...

They're dual processors
    They're PPC
    They're made to run BeOS, and they do it well.

-Q
  • Oh......

Why not just use BeOS for x86?
  • Because it can't run on >512MB RAM or any modern proc.

-Q

PS. And that was BeOS ORIGIONAL platform, so it's made for it in alot of ways.
  • Wow, 512Mb and it cant even run
  • Nope! There are patches for it and the processor thing, but untill OBOS AKA Haiku comes out we're sunk.

-Q

PS. There IS Zeta, which is rather interesting. I'd like to get RC3 and see if it works in VMware/VPC.
  • I have a command prompt open all the time in XP. I like DOS.
  • Theres a window manager for Linux that's called Window Maker and it's more like a clone of the NeXT step GUI. Also NeXT step is still used quite offten on a lot of systems.

I remember a few NeXT stations that used black and white video.
  • We have read that also in WindowMaker documentation, that's not a secret.
    ~Slash & Nemo
  • Well 90% of the members here didn't know that.
  • O really?

-Q
  • Yeah, it's like 90% users in the world who never used Linux! My friend Nemo is a crazy linux fan, and I took some info about it from him.
  • Dos or Windows 1.01? It depends what DOS your talking about. The DOS in Windows 9x and above are more powerful then its predescesors. Any version though I'd use over Windows 1.01. Windows 1.01 is trash. Not alot apps were made for it and its not stable. DOS is STILL very useful to this day.
  • OpnGEM + DOS = "owns"

-Q
  • What is "OpenGEM"?
  • It is a shell for DOS i believe
  • A shot of OpenGEM...
    opengem-scr-01.png
  • Yeah, I used that. It was far better than Win2.0.
  • Anything is better than Win2.0. :P
  • Wow, OpenGEM really looks good as a DOS Shell.
  • Roger wrote:
    Anything is better than Win2.0. :P
    Yeah, anything, Except Windows 1.0! lol
  • Anything is better than the first 3 versions of Windows. lol. I'm not counting 3.1. Just from Win1.0 to Win3.0...horrible.

I gotta try that OpenGEM sometime...interesting. What year it come out?