Dos or Win101

13»

Comments

• For some reason I sorta like the gui of Windows 1.x (idk why) Maybe I could try to edit it a little to make it look better. But I don't think it would work at all.
  • edit it...you gots to uncompile it..or maybe do a reshacker on it..
  • reshacker only works on 32 bit files
  • And what programs do u know, like reshacker, but work with win16 apps?
  • i think this one does, its shareware tho..

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA003525/Eindex.htm
  • Shareware? Russian people don't know what is SHAREWARE! There's not a problem to make it non-shareware...
    [Edit by Q]
  • By the way, their site is down.
  • strange worked when i went on it...
  • Well, right now it's down again. Or is it too slow?
  • i just went on it and it works
  • Weel, now it works... lemme take a look wat's that program...
  • On the thing about using reshack you can just use a simple hex editor and use a hex to ascii chart.
  • Oh wait, now that i reread this techhut said win 1x, well win1x and win2x apps do not have resources like win30 apps and on. so reshacker is useless, but you could reshack windows 3.0 apps on on a win32 machine.
  • you cant cos it doesnt read 16bit files
  • AXE - the advanced HEX editor can open 16bit executables in HEX code.
  • Try ExeScope, I know it can open 16Bit EXEs.

-Q
  • I hated windows 1 and really didn't decide to switch to windows on a regular basis untill 3.1 (just hated the crashes).

As far as running games old dos games on XP, partition your hard drive and run windows 98se (download it from this site) and dual boot. Almost all hardware still comes with 98 drivers so its not a real pain to set up. Just don't use it to connect to the internet any more because the viruses will swarm it.
  • When I've installed 98, it did not detect even S3 Virge video card on my 486... what even to talk about new hardware??