Windows Neptune

edited April 2007 in Software
Was looking on Josh's server and noticed a beta version of Windows called Neptune. I did some quick Googling, and figured out that it was the first attempt at a home computing version of NT, kind of like XP. Was wondering if anyone has ever tried it and has elaborate for me like what you need to run and how well it runs.

Comments

• Duff has run it I know, he got some screenshots back in the day.

-Q
  • Neptune is kind of like a 2000 home edition. It has VERY early resemblances to XP, and most of it's features were incorporated into Windows Whistler, which became XP. Very interesting OS and that beta build happens to be stable. 5111 is the only confirmed build; there are rumors of 5000 but no proof yet.

• Wikipedia has something about a different build, it's just realy rare.
  • So what is its "official" os its beta too? 2000 ?
  • I can't parse that question. Neptune was never developed out of beta, and 2000's betas were "NT 5".

-Q
  • I download Windows Neptune Build 5111 before..
    It's almost the same as Windows 2000 except it has some new features like the Welcome Screen. Help & Support From Windows ME.
  • So I guess it's like the early attempts at Windows XP, with the old interface.
  • after i wpit (wikipedia'd it new shortcut lol). i found out that neptune and 2000 were both being produced simoueltaneously and 2000 managed to launch its os first whilst neotune was still being developed for more of a home user interface. They later on joinined with the 2000 team to create windows whistler which later became xp. Essentially XP is the Os that took MS and all of the pc industry into the future, with a complete overhaul and a newer and fresher interface. The jump from 2000 to XP was massive even windwos had changed its logo. Xp to Vista wasnt a major jump.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    Xp to Vista wasnt a major jump.

I don't think Fish will swallow that.

-Q
  • well i didnt mean it like that, what i eamnt was that although it is a major jump it wasnt as big a jumo as 2000 to xp.
  • I would disagree: While there were major updates, including cosmetic ones, the underlying system is still 2000. NTLDR, NTOSKRNL, GINA... all of the base NT stuff is still there, the install CD still had an i386 directory, etc. WVI is completely different. It doesn't even have boot.ini anymore!

-Q
  • Yeah, XP was an update to 2000

Vista is a whole new version...

Though I'm sure most of the people here know this:

2000 = NT 5
    XP = NT 5.1
    2003 = NT 5.2
    Vista = NT 6

Vista changes a ton of stuff, including the logo if you want to count that...

Vista replaces NT Loader with boot manager

I'm sure wikipedia has something on it
  • yea you guys got a point. XP was basically just a nicer, more stable and better driver support version of 2000. Lol i was looking for a boot.ini.
  • Yeah I noticed that when I was using Vista. It uses a different boot manager (one which doesn't always agree with XP). But yeah XP was just a sexier 2000 with a few enhancements for games and other home activities.
  • Rather unfortunate, as I miss being able to edit boot.ini.

-Q
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Yeah, XP was an update to 2000

Vista is a whole new version...

Though I'm sure most of the people here know this:

2000 = NT 5
    XP = NT 5.1
    2003 = NT 5.2
    Vista = NT 6

Vista changes a ton of stuff, including the logo if you want to count that...

Vista replaces NT Loader with boot manager

I'm sure wikipedia has something on it

I believe the X64 version of Windows XP Professional is NT 5.2 instead of NT 5.1. Vista is by far the biggest change since Windows 95. Windows XP was mostly just a face lift of Windows 2000 with the few good concepts of Windows ME added in, hardly a big change.
  • Yes, 2000 + ME = XP (to put it simply :P)

and yeah XP x64 Bit Edition reports as NT 5.2 (as far as I know) and it was based off the 2003 codebase
  • Vista is a useless pile of DRM enabled garbage that adds nothing to my computing capabilities besides try and prevent me from utilizing my legal right to back up and save for archival purposes a single copy of any media I happen to purchase. (this right still exists in Canada btw).

It's an NT core with some nice additions to XP's ability to protect the kernel memory space from rogue apps. It has a well polished interface in Aero. It has some nice transition features for search and file handling. Then it has a huge security layer that vets every byte of read data and slows the whole system down. They have glazed this with some features that make it look like they are doing consumers a favour by protecting their computing experience.

I have owned computers for more years than most people have been alive. I have learned to manage this tool (a computer) in such a fashion as to not require baby sitting during it's use. I am not afraid of change having transitioned and learned to use many flavours of Windows, Unix, AS/400, SYstem /36 etc etc .I am also old enough to recognize a boondoggle when I see one. I have relegated Vista to a virtual hardware platform.

Vista takes a solid core platform that was nicely done in NT 5 and polished a little for XP and trashes it with what is supposed to pass for security. Vista is the Me of it's generation and will go down in hstory as a poor attempt at an upgrade OS with a bad rap. When 2000 hit the shelves, my fellow CTO's and CIO's almost all had transition plans from NT4 ready to go. No one is even thinking about bothering with Vista (on the corporate side) this time around. Microsofts quarterly results will reflect this fact. They will not meet forcast this year and the market IS talking. I personally have advised my customers to not pay to license this OS and therefore reward M$ for their efforts to satisfy the labels and Hollywood.

I have dubbed it Windows for Cattle.
  • some early whistler builds have files that reference to Neptune build 5117
  • "Reference" in what sense?

-Q
  • K, I'm not going to get too deep into this cause I'm tired, but the only people complaining about DRM in Vista are linux tards.. Nobody pirating Windows has a DRM issue. I've been on Vista for AGES now, and have yet to run into a problem with DRM stuff.
  • Meaning if you start picking apart the files and information on early Whistler builds you can see evidence of the code merge from the Neptune project. They put a fair amount of money into it really, not surprising they used the code library. In fact it can be argued they used the approach as well.

LOL...

My complaint isn't that the DRM stops you from doing as you please. That would mean there is effective DRM. There isn't. My complaint is I shouldn't have to pay for it. It's like paying a speeding ticket in advance.

My main issue is performance and the added security layer. It does add a layer, it does slow things down and it does require some apps to be recoded.

That's why it sucks. That's why corporate isn't biting.
  • Our new systems that the school is ordering are coming with Vista pre-installed and the only reason the administration doesn't use Vista is because they haven't got around to testing it yet.

They won't test until server 2007 comes out which as far as I know, hasn't. They use the admin pak from that to manage the server. The 2003 version only works on XP as far as I know.

Otherwise they would just leave the pre-installed Vista and then add in their regedits and group policy settings and other assorted software they use.
  • Neptune boots pretty fast because it uses hibernation to shut down (you have no choice). I installed it on a generic Pentium and it boots in 27 seconds with the BIOS!
  • That's an interesting feature.

-Q
  • mdogg wrote:
    Neptune boots pretty fast because it uses hibernation to shut down (you have no choice). I installed it on a generic Pentium and it boots in 27 seconds with the BIOS!

really, tahts how long my vista takes to load. but its cool anyway.
  • It takes me about that to load WVI (Counting from when the BIOS passes it off to Windows) and about 10x that to shutdown.

-Q
  • yea, one thing im annoyed with vista is the stupid amount of time it takes to shut down. The other thing i ahte is the random spikes on the cpu load.
  • Windows Neptune 5111 is a split on the beta-2 2000 code, but designed for home market.

There is reference in the Windows 2000 Bible: by Michael Desmond, about a consumer edition of Windows 2000 slated for release in 2001. This is Windows Neptune the beta of.

The thing has the look and feel of Windows 2000, but some things have changed. Apart from the logo, and the setup bmp, the only other real changes i noted was that it has a new screen saver (which appeared in XP too), and a different way of managing users (ditto XP home).

The installation varies between Neptune and Windows 2000 Professional, and it has a number of annoying features you might expect in a beta (such as a 'experience feedback' in every task-bar).

Like 2000, it mangles the boot manager, if you have OS/2 in dual boot, so this is to be taken care of: (eg use eComStation v 1.2 or later).
  • It pretty much was a beta to the XP beta whistler.