Do one thing and do it well

QQ
edited August 2012 in Software
I know we all know various programs that are really perfect in doing one thing and nothing else. Small, easy to use, uncluttered and generally "perfect" as you can get.

PuTTY comes to mind (Although it's been a while since I've used it last), Windows Notepad also.

Anyone else have a list like this?

-Q

Comments

• Winamp (For Audio)
    The KMPlayer (For Video)
    Mozilla Firefox (For Internetz)

I can go on and on, but that's the basic list... :P
  • Foxit PDF Reader
    Tortoise SVN
    Notepad++
    IrfanView
  • Mozilla Firefox (For Internetz)

Really? While Firefox is a good browser, and my preference, I wouldn't place it in a category where "small, easy to use, uncluttered and generally "perfect" are the criteria.
  • Duff wrote:

Really? While Firefox is a good browser, and my preference, I wouldn't place it in a category where "small, easy to use, uncluttered and generally "perfect" are the criteria.

^ This
  • With all the extensions available for Firefox it shouldn't qualify.

I only recommend the portable version of Foxit Reader now, the
    install is full of crappy stuff.

Thump
  • MS Paint.
  • Imgburn

And if I had to choose only one browser I'd probably choose Firefox, but in all honestly I could hardly live with just one browser. I usually have at least 4 installed on my system.
  • BurnCDCC used to be good, but lately I haven't been able to get it to work, and then again, W7 just writes ISOs itself.

-Q
  • Duff wrote:

I know, but I was talking about a basic FF install, not a full blown one :P

Anyway, there are another apps that are tiny and does shit well:

> Unlocker (for that nasty "file is in use, can't delete" Windows BUG when trying to get rid of certain files) :)
    > UltraISO (For editing and burning CD/DVD image files easily, a lot of formats supported...)
  • Firefox is still a POS. Opera and IE never give me the bullshit Firefox pulls.

FlashFXP FTW too. For all you kiddies who still use Filezilla, download it. Been using it for well over 6-7 years.

uTorrent kind of kicks the shit out of the original BitTorrent/BitTornado that used a separate window for each torrent.

Also WinRAR and WinImage.
  • Firefox is still a POS. Opera and IE never give me the bullshit Firefox pulls.

Firefox is alright. There's still a lot of bugs they seem to refuse to fix. Not to mention that they've still never fixed the whole "firefox is sucking all my RAM" issue...

There is no perfect browser, Opera, IE, Chrome, Firefox... they all their have strengths and weaknesses and I use all of them. Firefox mainly.
  • 7-Zip gets my vote for best archival utility. Supports compressing/decompressing a ton of different of formats, and a easy to use GUI.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Firefox is still a POS. Opera and IE never give me the bullshit Firefox pulls.

Firefox is alright. There's still a lot of bugs they seem to refuse to fix. Not to mention that they've still never fixed the whole "firefox is sucking all my RAM" issue...

There is no perfect browser, Opera, IE, Chrome, Firefox... they all their have strengths and weaknesses and I use all of them. Firefox mainly.

Yeah... about that RAM issue. It's been four fucking years.
  • Maybe they just don't care anymore since most people have the RAM to spare? Although, one time I remember getting Firefox to use 1.5 GB of RAM. Didn't crash, but it was slower than shit.
  • That's how open source software works. It uses 1.5GB of RAM and no one fixes the problem.
  • I like the theory of open source, but more often than not, it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. There's politics involved and shit doesn't get fixed when it clearly needs to be.
  • Open source writers are crazy liberals who have the problem solving skills of a republican.
  • When I think Open Source writers, I think of people like Stallman or Eric Raymond that bleed open source software.
  • You mean homosexuals?
  • You mean homosexuals?

esr is a hardcore gun nut.

I really think a lot of people have wrong impressions on OSS developers, the majority of them, they have otherwise normal lives. Mozilla.org, the FSF, GNU, definitely don't help the issue though (I really hate those 3 organizations for those who don't know).
  • WTF is the crazy guy with the hat
  • WTF is the crazy guy with the hat

rms wannabe i think.
  • Question for the programmer types: What *IS* it that gives Ffx its memory usage patterns?

-Q
  • To the best of my knowledge, it caches a LOT of data and is very loose about releasing it.
  • nightice wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge, it caches a LOT of data and is very loose about releasing it.

It's not even caching, it's failure to properly delete everything when it's done.
  • Billy is an amazingly small music player. Actually, all of the Sheep Friends are amazingly small programs that fit this criteria perfectly. Kind of the Unix philosphy, eh?
  • RN wrote:
    IrfanView
    1194940827630.gif
    I love Irfanview.

And while Billy is really nice, I use too many alternate song formats to really move away from Winamp.
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    Billy is an amazingly small music player. Actually, all of the Sheep Friends are amazingly small programs that fit this criteria perfectly. Kind of the Unix philosphy, eh?
    Used it when trying alternatives for Winamp, It was a LIMITED pile of crap on my old PC... after that I've stick with Winamp anyway (Yes, a lot of time was wasted there..)

FYI: Winamp's sound engine + Constant-Q equalizer + Enhancer 0.17 kicks ass in sound quality! :)

On Topic: Don't forget about DOSbox, it only emulates DOS, but does it right (I use it to play TNFS:SE) :)

And if you're looking for a new, lightweight, compatible image viewer/manager there's Xnview! (I use it too for many img types)