Windows XP and ram

edited September 2015 in Hardware
Boy this really feels good. I had a little trouble and had to install twice but XP is installed now. But, out of 128 MB of ram I've only got only 24.38 MB free. I'm just doing this to test my 200 dollar computer so I guess I can get by long enough to test it. I'll just have to type slow.

Comments

• Good job!
  • LOL, you should really invest in a 128M stick. They're like $20 on eBay.
  • Time for more svc configuring!

-Q
  • You can buy a new stick of 128MB SDRAM from BestBuy for 20 bucks.
  • I dont think his mainboard supports SDR. Most now only do DDR.
  • I have one that supports SDRAM and DDR. Sadly you can only use one type and can't mix it.
  • I think my Socket 423 Pentium 4 board supports both SDR and DDR also.
  • My P4 1.8 takes SDRAM.
  • I got a mainboard that does SDR and EDO and you can mix them. Sad thing newer ways changed.
  • The things a P120/66 clocked at 75*1.5@110, I dont think the performance can get any worse.

And I dont even do that anymore. I just use all EDO in that thing.
  • The one I need is PC133. Things have happened and it's one of the highest. I usually use Walmart.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2194693&cat=4465&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A63985%3A124680
    Good Night.
  • Walmart has low low prices because they sel things for less than they're worth until all other stores go out of business. When all other stores close, Walmart will reaise prices again.
  • In the south rednecks flock to WalMart.
  • ey, watch it there now.
  • Yep. THat's not nice.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    In the south rednecks flock to WalMart.

WalMart and WalMart PCs own you!!!!
  • Ha ! Ha !
    Maybe they own you for a little while. My 200 dollar computer is from Walmart online and I own it. I bought my first add on ram at Crucial and it was too fat to go in. I've still got it here somewhere. I've been thinking about sanding it down thinner, the thickness must be just plastic. I got my next ram from Walmart and it worked just fine. I'm not a rich man but I've also got about 25 shares of Walmart stock.
    I own Walmart and a Walmart computer. This computer needs ram but I'm testing it as is. I'm trying to be open minded but I believe I'll reccomend that Windows XP not be used on it. Windows 98SE runs great and Windows 2000 runs pretty well.
    Thump
  • Get more RAM and go XP, or get a walmart PC and go XP!
  • when i get more $$$ i would like to get a walmart pc for a dedicated server.
  • Walmart PCs... joy. They are dirt cheap and good to use for experiments!
  • Roger Ngo wrote:
    Walmart PCs... joy. They are dirt cheap and good to use for experiments!

i just want a cheap server solution, and fish says there really good pcs, and i dont need tons of extra shit hell, crapaq, shit-machines, hach pea, and eye bee m pack into their pcs, and i dont wanna spend tons of money on a pc

or i could build another one, either way.
  • You really don't need a powerful computer to use as a server ... any old piece of crap will do.

For instance, the Tomchu.com server is a Celeron 366, 256 MB of RAM, and 8.4 GB drive, running Apache, MySQL, PHP, MailEnable, Bulletproof FTP, Microsoft DNS, and UltraVNC under Windows Server 2003 Standard. Would you guess it was when surfing the forum? Probably not. :P

Anything 300 MHz+ and 256 MB of RAM should do well for a forum and whatnot, and a shitty P133 + 64 MB will do fine if all you're doing is serving static content.
  • As Tophernet learned the hard way: NEVER run a forum on a 166MHz. It takes SO FUCKING LONG TO LOAD.

Walmart PCs kick ass cause theyre insanely cheap, and WORK, unlike some ebay shit.
  • Unfortunately they (can) have some standards issues.

-Q
  • My only problem is the lack of cooling. Only a heatsink, CPU fan, and PS fan. Then theres no where to put one in the case except the front like in really, really old pentium-class PCs... they recently DID update the case design though, Im planning on getting ANOTHER so I can have the new one!!!

0066044810587_500X500.jpg
  • Wow, they look really stylish now!
  • Yep... Hmm.... I'm thinking about buying myself a Walmart PC.... first I need dough...
  • I can't reccomend anyone buy one. I've had great luck but the truth is you don't know what you're going to get until you get it. There's not really a standard. The only one they have left for 200 dollars isn't a Microtel it's a Linare {Lindows} brand and I don't know how it would be.
    Microtel does have one cheaper but it's a barebones and comes without a hard drive or CD.
    The advantage of course is there's no operating system cost as the Linare comes with Lindows. But if you start to add other components the advantage begins to quickly dissapear.
    The heat issue: The first 200 dollar computer I bought had a 800 MHZ Via processor and it was as fine a machine as I've ever owned. It only had a power supply fan and it ran real slow and quiet. You could barely tell if it was on. The Via processor only puts out about half the heat of a Celeron. I wondered how the newest version would work with a hot Duron chip but decided to take a chance. It too only has a power supply fan but it came louder than you could easily stand. It's gotten quieter the more I run it. The case has been changed and is deeper by a few inches with the CD and hard drive up front all by theirselves so the air flow is better and heat is really not a problem.
    The Linare doesn't say like the Microtel computers do but it probably comes without a floppy drive or modem. My Microtel did but I knew it.
    I have to have a floppy drive so I pulled one from an old junker and installed it. The main thing was it was an option to HP and Compaq and others and comes with Windows drivers for more than one Operating System.
    My Microtel came with a Duron 1.4 processor but the Linare still has the 1.3 Duron.
    I like mine but if you get one good luck.
  • I found a barebones kit at CompUSA and it's basicly a whole system. The only thing it doesn't come with is a Floppy and CD-ROM. Heres the specs.

Pentium 4 (Forgot the CPU speed)
    256MB ram
    80GB HD
    some SOYO mobo
    Built-in Realtek LAN
    AC'97 codec sound
    Built-in AGP S3 video with shared ram
    Midsize ATX case

The price tag said $225.99
  • That sounds great TCPMeta but I couldn't find it. Got a link?
    Here's the link for the Linare:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=129013&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A129013